Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Close encounters of the Vulture kind

Buzzards! Road-kill-eating, big-as-a-car-wing-span buzzards feeding on a dead something or other as I breeze up on them after making a turn with my DH and DS (dear son) on a rural road.

They are slow, you know, and there are 2 on the road in front of me, trying to gain altitude and get out of my way, and it sounds like several more are beating around near the ground in the trees in the woods to my right, trying to make a getaway, too, as I'm pedaling right along toward them.

I'm just minding my own business, thinking "this is really cool, flying along with the buzzards," when the ones from the woods swoop out right in front and right over top of me. I could feel the air pull up over my head as they pulled up with their wings. Yikes, crazy!

I'm ducking, as if that'll do any good, and just keep on pedaling, when next thing I know I feel little pieces of "stuff" falling on me. I thought it was probably buzzard poop, and that's bad enough, but I look down at my arm, and there's this little piece of red stuff on it so of course I have to SMELL it and it's definitely road kill. Too gross and too funny!

I guess somebody just had to cough up a little gift for me.... "A little warning for you, girly, this is OUR putrid rotten dead animal lunch....you just keep on rolling...." and I did....

Quote Originally Posted by newrider
    I'm ducking, as if that'll do any good, and just keep on pedaling, when next thing I know I feel little pieces of "stuff" falling on me. I thought it was probably buzzard poop, and that's bad enough, but I look down at my arm, and there's this little piece of red stuff on it so of course I have to SMELL it and it's definitely road kill. Too gross and too funny!
    You know, while riding through houston I see my fair share of road kill. Always thought how unlucky for me to have to breath the odors in. Now I'm feeling kinda lucky, atleast I've never had roadkill dropped on me.
    Live like you were dying...

Is having roadkill dropped on you akin to having monkeys throw feces at you? If so, I guess they got their message across!

And here my hubby's biggest fear while riding a bike near road kill was having a car drive by and "splash" guts on him (it's come too close to happening to me once, one piece went between my body and the top tube and and one flew right across my face )! I'll have to relay this new version of road-kill contact attack to him....
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I'm gonna stop complaining about jerks honking as they go by to scare me... looks like it could be worse huh???
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Fyi

I read about turkey vultures in a bird book. Apparently, when they are frightened, they regurgitate. I once did that long ago at the county fair, but it was mostly cotton candy.

If you are out upon your bike, and meet up with turkey buzzards, be very reassuring!