Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My first (metric) Century

To disable ads, please log-in.

HI, Couldn't wait to get here and tell all you ladies about my first group organized ride and my first Metric century all wrapped in one. It was a couple of weeks ago (computer virus-had to wait til all was clear) and it's what 3 others that I ride with have been working towards all summer. We all bought new road bikes this spring just so we could participate in the charity ride. Riding turned into a once a week to 3-5 times a week and the house work and what ever went down hill fast. Priorities! The day of the event couldn't have been better, high 80's but minimal humidity. Started at 8am, and off the 2 of us (one lady couldn't make it) went, and another friend left at 7am for the 100. By the end of the event, we were lost twice. The first directional challenge we couldn't figure out ourselves so we called and had the offer of being picked up and put back where we missed the turn but we were like "no", so they got us from road to road and back on course- missing 2 SAG stops inbetween. The 2nd little mishap was simple and we turned around and back tracked. Our 62 turned into 75 miles. The farthest we had ever ridden before this event was 55 miles. It was a great time. The charity made out really well as it was there first riding event. They were given great suggestions about labeling roads and markers better ( as we were not the only directionally challenged persons). Next year we are looking forward to completing the 100 miler and we still ride together 2-3 times a week. I was truly amazed how other bicyclists would stop and help others out. I took a little spill (which I thought was unwitnessed) and I had 2 other riders come from no where's it seemed to see if I was alright and stayed to help me get the stone jammed out of my brake lever. Thanks for listening..couldn't wait to tell all you ladies, reading your stories has been a great inspiration for me. shelly j

Shelleyj! CONGRATULATIONS on meeting (and exceeding) your goal! That's wonderful... when I bought my road bike my goal was to "someday" be able to ride a 53 mile fun ride event... I just road my 5th century of this year! If you've done 75 miles you can definitely do a century with NO PROBLEM!!!

As to others stopping to offer assistance... that is one thing I love about this sport... the great sense of etiquette on the road... no matter what, if I see a rider stopped I ALWAYS call out to see if they're OK... heck, I amy not be able to FIX their bike, but you never know what you have that they may need... Sat on the Cool Breeze Century I gave away my extra tube to someone who had so many flats that he was going to have to sag in... instead, he took my tube, road in and I was given an tube by a rider who was carrying three! The camaraderie is a huge part of what I love about riding...

so glad you had a great ride! way to go...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

ShellyJ - wooohoooooo you goo girl!! Like BC says: once you've done 75 miles, 100 ain't nuttin hunny! Think of it this way: you KNOW you can ride 25 miles right?........and you KNOW you can ride 75 miles right??......so 100 is just 75 + 25! LOL ............sounds like a fun ride too even with the getting lost part. Thanks for sharing - I love reading about other ppls rides just as much as I enjoy riding!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Shelly, way to go!

I'm hoping to do my first metric century in a couple weeks in a supported ride. You help me know it's very doable. Thanks for inspiring me!

What Charity did you ride for Shelley ?

reply to grettassisters question

Thanks ladies for the replies and support. To answer Grettassisters question, it was for Mercy Flight. A air ambulance service. They come to our hospital and take the pts to a higher level of care for a pt that is in need. 2 of the flight nurses also work with us in the ER so it was like helping out "family" if you want to say. To newrider, keep us posted on your first metric century. I wish you the best of luck and enjoy. I had a fun time doing my ride and hope you will too! shelly j