Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aging

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm finding it's taking me a whole lot longer to recover from my bike accident this go-round than the crash I had 5 years ago.

And let me officially state: I'm tired of waking up stiff and sore every cotton picking morning!

Yeah, I'm feeling my 50 years.... But my brain doesn't think it's this old, or maybe it forgot that part.
    Beth

My parents are in their early 60's and have loads of health problems: diabetes and heart disease. My mom has had both knee's replaced, had back surgery, and bariatric surgery . . . It freaks me out about getting older.

But then I realize that most of the women I bike with are in their 50's and 60's and are in great health. In AMAZING shape!

It really motivates me to keep riding, to keep pursuing a healthy diet and lifestyle because it really pays off down the road.

A great aunt recently turned 102 and somebody suggested that she might be better off to leave her home-unit as her eyesight is failing. Currently she lives alone and has so far managed to cook/shop/clean without help. As a trial she spent a week in an "old folks" home. Her comments were "The rooms are lovely. The staff are lovely and caring, and couldn't be nicer, but when I went to the dining room and sat down to eat it was filled with old people."

Up until a few years ago this aunt used to have friends around for dinner parties, cooking everything herself.

Just goes to show....it's all in the mind really.

Yay Laterider Auntie!!! You go girl!
    Beth

Laterider, I hope I can one day be such a great auntie for my nieces, and that they always view me as much more fun than their parents!

My only living grandparent is now 87 and lives in a place for older folks. She has suffered various health problems throughout her life but has always tried to stay active. She recently recovered from pneumonia and the flu and just got back into walking so she walks to the grocery store a few times a week and carries home what she can manage. The other people where she lives can't believe she walks that far! My 87 year old grandma calls the others in her building "old bitties." I hope I have her genes, meanwhile, I do what I can to not end up like some of my other relatives, but man, where did these wrinkles come from and the age spots! I tried to rub one off my face the other month until I realized what it was.
    Last edited by Norse; 04-27-2010 at 07:24 AM.