Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The passion that compliments our bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Today Show featured Airstreams on a recent episode.
    We use ours as home base for our biking adventures.
    This weekend we are attending the "SpringStream" Rally in the North Georgia mountains.
    Dave will be tackling a long ride to the top of Brass Town Bald for the second time this year. He is in training for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell in May.
    I will be taking a much gentler route around the lake our campground is situated on. My goal is to do my first metric century. I will attempt two loops of said lake.
    We will also enjoy fellowship with other Airstreamers. A highlight of the rally is the open house. We will see a variety of vintage and new models in various states of decay, restoration and personal decor.
    We have a CCD model which is fairly rare. The interior is designed by Christopher C. Deam and is mid-century mod. Our vanity plate reads "MOD POD".
    Food is always a highlight. Dutch oven cooking is a staple. We will most likely do our favorite apple crisp.
    There will also be restoration demos. We are on the hunt for a vintage, mini "canned ham" or Airstream, so we will be interested in attending the demos if they do not conflict with our rides.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...440%2336131440

Oh MY, don't get me started on Airstream this is a riot. My DH bought me, I think a 1956 16footer maybe, airstream that is in complete need of restoration. We were riding around the back roads, got lost, saw this camper with trees growing thru the hitch and bumpers, and we forgot about it. The next year we made every effort to get lost again to find that camper, the following year we hit gold (or aluminum). We found it, no one was home so we left a note on the car wipers as there was so many doors on the house we didn't know which to use. And the rest is history, well, it came home on a tow trailer, and we adored it just as it sat. The roof window was broke and the floors are rotted, but the wall paper and the paper lamp shades are all intact and perfect. It will have to be a complete restore, which my DH doesn't have time to do but we have big plans for this thing..that is my airstream story. I've gone on line to see restorations, and get parts, but I've never researched my airstream at all...
    HOpe you and DH had a great time, and I'm envious of you, I would love to go to a rally someday...
    formerly known as shellyj

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I saw that piece on the Today Show. It kinda made me want one (but I'm more of a tent gal than a camper gal- although in not too many more years I may be a convert).
    Have fun at the rally- and good luck on your first metric!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Short Cut-
    Here is a site that may help you identify your rig.
    http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

We are on the hunt for a vintage shortie or mini as well. We want something small to boondock in bike ride parking lots. Our 28 footer is a bit long.
    We want a 16-19' Airstream or a 16' Canned Ham.

Here is the place you need to go for restoration info:
    http://www.airforums.com/forums/
    I am Bird's Nest on this forum.

You can also find brochures for most vintage AS's at the factory website.
    http://www.airstream.com/index.html

I love your story. We are riding down country roads every chance we get scanning back yards.
    I'd love to see pics. I could help you identify what your treasure is called.

What lake will you be near? I might be up there on Friday
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Lake Chatuge.
    We are staying at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawassee.
    Is that near your location?

MB, thanks for the info..I'll check it out.
    I would love to take the camper out once it's done, but DH is paranoid-what if it gets hit, it comes undone from the hitch, etc, then we have no more camper. He wants to put it up by our pond, so we can camp there. The kicker, the pond is right behind our house, so that means that the camper might be 75 feet away from the back door. He wants the pink flamingos to accomany it..But, it won't be any time too soon.
    What kind of interior do you have? Did you restore yours to original or to your liking? I'm def. gonna do my version of the 50's, I think I want the reproduction boomerang formica countertop, and trying to find the right upholstery. I have started getting an assortment of the atomic print for the dinnerware.
    Let me know how the rally went.
    formerly known as shellyj

Sally, you need to get your husband to take it out on the road. That's what things were made for! I am at a rally right now and half the units are vintage.

My unit is not vintage. It is a 2004 28' CCD and we purchased it Feb of 2009. I think you would like it though as it has a mid-century mod interior designed by Christopher C. Deam. Its like the Jetsons on the inside and out.

Here's a link to a thread that I posted photos of my AS.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=502518

We have the Boomerang Formica in the orange in our pool house. It just looks fun. We have teen boys and the pool house is designed as a relaxed, fun retreat for them to share with their friends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	11022  

Airstream in Bicycling Magazine

Another Airstream sighted in Bicycling Magazine on page 90.
    The same model as ours only newer.
    It is in an ad for DannyShane Cycling.
    http://www.dannyshane.com/
    It is a new clothing company. I don't think my husband would wear their stuff.
    I like their logo on the side.
    There was another Airstream in the section that highlights an athlete from a non-cycling sport who rides bikes about a year ago. It was a vintage model that time and the athlete was a sport bike racer.
    Airstream features a photo of a couple relaxing in lawn chairs after a ride on their site. It just looks so "right" to me. Like home-away-from-home.
    http://etherbourn.blogspot.com/

2010 Cannondale Synapse Feminine Carbon 6