Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz
    I totally agree about the roller bladers - scary! Yesterday I did a ride on a nice multi-use path, and had to pass 4 roller bladers at different times - I was afraid I would be body-checked into traffic or the bay - there was no way to make contact - I could hear their music blasting out of the earphones as I passed. Generaly the peds and runners were pretty good - the only other hazards were the super-cyclists - passing at top speed (25+mph ) with no calling out - just wearing those little biker caps, not even helmets - it makes me so mad - when I get my breath back, I usually yell out - "call out please!"
    I think you girls that live in San Fran are mighty brave. We took our sons down your way to the exploratorium and after took a nice drive along the water front and around the Presidio. I saw some paths running parallel to the road and thought is that great and then I saw what the cyclists had to dodge. I felt a tad stressed and I was in the car. Then we head back thru the city to go home and there are cyclists going fast all decked out in snazy gear weaving in and out of cars and trams and yep you guessed it Im feeling stressed again and the cyclists mind you are looking calm and happy as larry. I think I better stick to the country roads - all that mentally dodging traffic and pedestrians for the cyclists in San Fran wore me out.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Smile Shared Rail Trail

I live on a Rail Trail, and when I want to take a mindless and relaxing ride, I hit the trail and avoid the traffic on the road.

I have learned to take my patience and my sense of humor with me, especially on gorgeous Sunday afternoons such as today. We get entire church outing groups on the trail, often walking in gaggles of 4-8 people, or biking rather randomly along with the walkers.

I sometimes use my bike bell, because the crisp "ting!!" it emits seems to get people to pay attention better than my voice does.

Either way I get a kick out of the people who seem to forget to read the trail etiquette signs, and have no concept of keeping right. When I ring my bell or say "on your left" these folks all startle, look around behind them, and whoever is on the right moves left while whoever is on the left moves right!

And of course as you mention, adding in a preschooler on or off of a bike, and a dog, on or off the leash can really make it interesting.

But all of that said, as a Rail Trail neighbor and Rail Trail Board member, it makes me very happy to see all the people who come out to enjoy the trail that I have helped to develop! I feel better about the state and federal tax dollars spent to develop the trail when I see it very busy!

Rollerbladers. Dogs on long leashes. Children tooling around on little bikes with training wheels (cute, but unpredictable!). IPod wearin' stroller pushin' jogger mommies. Elite jerks riding too fast. Little old ladies who don't know that there really is an actual separate path for bikes. These are a few of the hazards we must all endure on mixed use trails.

Elitist roadies laugh at the bell on my bike. But I like it - it's cheery, and I can usually get people's attention much sooner than I could by calling out as I'm right on their ***. Every so often I get someone who acts like they've never heard such a thing before, but they also usually act like they've never seen a bicycle before too. I ring my bell before riding into blind spots, and use it copiously in those few places where I'm forced to ride on the sidewalk.

I've come to really despise people who have headphones on and aren't aware of the world around them.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)