Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    That's funny. I run on a multi-use path that sees very little use. If I see ten people in a seven mile run, that's a crowd. But I am always so careful to stay to the right anyway.Veronica
    I ride on a very, very crowded bike path in Manhattan, so I see everything.

Serious runners are a different breed -- they even signal turns. Casual runners are a disaster waiting to happen.
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-06-2010 at 07:09 AM.

I am aware that I am in a tiny minority here, but I hate, hate, hate it when I am addressed by my first name by cashiers, service people, etc. who don't know me, have never known me and will more than likely never see me again. My first name is for people I have personal relationships with. Period.

I am aware that their employers train them to use my name, so I don't blame them, but keep my name out of our one-time business relationship.

Thank you for listening. I feel better now.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    I am aware that I am in a tiny minority here, but I hate, hate, hate it when I am addressed by my first name by cashiers, service people, etc. who don't know me, have never known me and will more than likely never see me again. My first name is for people I have personal relationships with. Period.

I am aware that their employers train them to use my name, so I don't blame them, but keep my name out of our one-time business relationship.

Thank you for listening. I feel better now.
    especially when they need to be carded to buy beer?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    How do they know your name? Reading a credit card is the only way I can think of.

I hate it when the toilet paper doesn't get replaced in the bathroom stall at work or the bathroom at home!

It's pretty rare that I get annoyed or worked up but I was on a plane a few weeks ago coming home from a business trip and a very loud, crude man sat next to me. He kept referring to the flight attendant as "dude" and was muttering demeaning things about him under his breath just because they needed to put his jacket in the storage bin. I hate adult men calling other people "dude" whether to be insulting or to sound cool. To make it worse, he reeked of smoke AND he chewed gum with his mouth open and smacked/blew/popped bubbles the entire time. Right when we landed, a baby started hysterically screaming and I was soooo thankful. I was in a murderous rage by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    You should never move to the South and that even includes Maryland
    I am in the south! I think it was the way he said it in a sing song manner. UGH!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    You should never move to the South and that even includes Maryland
    I don't mind "Miss Catherine" by children - but then again, I hail from the South and in my family this is reserved for single women "above a certain age" - which I am I do prefer that to "Ms Last Name" outside of a professional setting as this makes me feel older for some reason....in my professional environment everyone pretty much uses first names unless we are talking to the media, etc.

What I really hate is to be called "babe", "honey", "sweetie", or whatever by store clerks of either gender, or just strangers in general. Endearments are for partners/significant others/spouses. I know that a lot of people do this and mean nothing by it, and that is fine, but I find it irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    Over-privileged people who think the rest of us should step aside because they have money. These are the ones who cut you off in traffic in their big expensive SUVs or cut in front of you in line at a store. Their kids are even worse...

People who come to work sick and spread around their illnesses.

People who take credit for other's work/ideas.

Dishonesty.

A sense of entitlement (my big beef w/much of the "younger" generation -- those who were indulged and told they were special).

Selfish people---the ones who lack manners and think it's all about them.
    This. I'm 100% in agreement with mickchick's list, so I'm just gonna quote it!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    How do they know your name? Reading a credit card is the only way I can think of.
    Our names get printed on our receipts at certain grocery stores...especially the ones that you use a "preferred shopper's card". But yes, I don't like it either when I'm at the register paying and they say to me "Thank you for shopping at Dominick's, Linda"...it's just creepy to me.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    What I really hate is to be called "babe", "honey", "sweetie", or whatever by store clerks of either gender, or just strangers in general. Endearments are for partners/significant others/spouses. I know that a lot of people do this and mean nothing by it, and that is fine, but I find it irritating.
    +1, Catrin. Being called "Miss" for myself, I view as very tame. The other stuff, I just dislike from either male or female unless it is my partner.

But he doesn't even call me any of the above which when I hear other people call me any of those 3 terms, it's jarring for me to hear it.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I hate rude people! The ones that can't wait patiently in a line because "I'm in a hurry" and when they get to the register have to go get something they forgot. Go ahead rude person, just make everybody wait, it's your world I'm just livin in it! The good thing is that being nice to somebody in this town, goes a long way. Sad but true. Most places I frequently shop at know me and just a little "hi how are you?" goes really far. SAD...

" Mrs." doesn't bother me, because I either sound like

Mrs. His mom
    or
    Mrs. My mom

I get called " Miss 'My First Name' " at work sometimes; it used to bug me, and I used to take A STAND, but now I just imagine myself as Miss Scarlet, making clothing out of the window blinds or whatever I can find. If not MizzScahlet, then I am the RomperRoom lady, which is at least equally ridiculous.

Well, maybe I am projecting my own stuff around the things that piss me off, but I am human. I grew up in a super competitive academic type community and while I swore I wouldn't do that to my kids, in the end I wanted them to have the same great public education I had . Yes, I turned into my parents, I guess. But, the bragging insufferable parents really exist in all walks of life. Too many people live their lives through their children; while I love mine, I tried to see them as real people, with flaws as all people have. So when I hear people constantly droning on and on about their kids, I just think, gee, what is missing in their lives?

I used to go through the roof when I got carded buying beer, but now I just crack up and take off my hat.