Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Catriona - where were those photos taken! I want to paddle THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Catriona - where were those photos taken! I want to paddle THERE!
    Occoquan River, above the dam:

http://www.nvrpa.org/park/occoquan_w...l/content/home

(It's actually gorgeous below the dam, especially if you go into Belmont Bay where it meets the Potomac, an up Kane's creek at mason neck national wildlife refuge. I always see a ton of bald eagles over at Mason Neck)

http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/content/Map.pdf

The north side of the river is all park land, the south side is mostly parkland interspersed with the ocassional mansion. Engine sizes on boats are limited to below 9.5 hp or so and no jet skiers. I got a late start so I only got as far as the Hemlock overlook (put in at Lake Ridge park), and back. But I left from my Mom's house, so she packed me a lunch and had dinner waiting when I got back (which was why I didn't go further - I didn't think she wanted to wait till 9 or 10 pm for dinner)

One of these days I have to go back and paddle it all the way up.

More pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ImmunoGi...quanToHemlock#
    But a lot are duplicates of me trying to get the best heron or deer shot.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 07-20-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Get back to work
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Get back to work
    Are you still sore Scar tried to cop a feel on Miss Plum?

She was asking for it, the way she lets it all hang out and shake like that.

Very nice photos!

The reason I asked where they were taken was because some of those photos look like Little Seneca Lake up at Black Hills Regional Park outside Germantown. Then some look like the canal in the Violet's Lock area. I've paddled at Mason Neck. It was most memorable because we returned to the launch site at low tide. That was a huge mistake.... Like hauling the boats up the beach in quicksand! Don't remember much about the paddling, but I sure remember the "quicksand!"

If I ever get my boat into the water this summer I'll have to post some pix. Still addressing my roof rack dilemma. I'll be able to get my old Yakima roof rack system back in August, and then see what's going to be involved in making it work on the new car. In the meantime, still waiting for the foam pads I ordered to come in, which I don't think the shop ordered for me when they said they did. If they don't come in I'll just get some from NRS or REI but I do try to support the local businesses when I can.

Oh well, it's awfully hot for paddling right now and my regular paddling partner has been incapacitated for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post

She was asking for it, the way she lets it all hang out and shake like that.
    Are you drinking?
    Tell me where you are, I'll come get you.
    Last edited by Zen; 07-20-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Are you drinking?
    Tell me where yon are, I'll come get you.
    Like I'm gonna share the good stuff with you. Scar's kicking me, 'cause he wants a chance with Miss Aurora as well.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Very nice photos!

The reason I asked where they were taken was because some of those photos look like Little Seneca Lake up at Black Hills Regional Park outside Germantown. Then some look like the canal in the Violet's Lock area. I've paddled at Mason Neck. It was most memorable because we returned to the launch site at low tide. That was a huge mistake.... Like hauling the boats up the beach in quicksand! Don't remember much about the paddling, but I sure remember the "quicksand!"
    (
    I hope you get your roof rack sorted out and your paddling partner gets better. It has been hot - but I just practice rolling the boat whenever it gets bad. The water and the wind does moderate the temperature. I'd much rather paddle in this than bike in it.

Is little seneca lake big enough to kayak in?

I guess I've never paddled at Mason neck at low tide, because i haven't experienced that there. I did have it happen once a kiptopeke - The last mile of paddling through the marsh to the car was a mudflat and I was sinking to my knees with every step. We ended up going to a nearby boat ramp, walking to the car and bringing it over.

The north american lotuses are blooming on Turner creek on the upper chesapeake. hopefully I can stop and paddle while driving my cousin to the beach for a weekend.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    Like I'm gonna share the good stuff with you. Scar's kicking me, 'cause he wants a chance with Miss Aurora as well.
    HEY! Take it outside! We got women and children in here! Sheesh.