Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Natural deodorant: recipe

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry, wasn't sure best place to put this. Anyone care to review recipe's effectiveness? It seems best ..when one is shaved.

Mama Goode's All Natural Deodorant
    3 TBSP of shea butter
    3 TBSP baking soda
    2 TBSP corn starch
    1 tspn jojoba oil or vitamin E oil
    1 tspn essential oil of your choice
    2 TBSP of coco palm wax or beeswax melted (optional)
    Mix all of the ingredients and place in an airtight container. You will have to take a pea size piece and spread under your armpit. Enjoy!

Keep in a cool place.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/news...oxic-footprint
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I just use baking powder and it works great! My underarms are nice and smooth. However, if I'm going to the gym to do a workout where I'll be in close proximity to other people, I'll wear DH's antiperspirant (which is about once a month).

Yup. Plain ol' baking soda. Good stuff.

Why make life more complicated than it has to be?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

i just get stinky. but then i have uber sensitive skin in the underarm area and am a stay at home mom.

How do you apply the baking soda? I could be picturing this incorrectly but it seems like it could easily get messy.

This is the recipe for home-made natural deodorant that I want to try when I get the time. It sounds totally easy and I have all the ingredients already (though I might sub in tea tree or lavendar oil).

http://www.thecrunchychicken.com/201...deodorant.html

I like that she reused a deodorant container - so I'll keep my next one instead of recycling it.

And yeah - how do you apply plain baking soda without making a mess? With a dedicated make-up brush, perhaps?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
    How do you apply the baking soda? I could be picturing this incorrectly but it seems like it could easily get messy.
    I use a powder applicator. I hold it over the opening of the baking soda, tilt upside down over the sink, shake a few times, tilt back upright. Then pat my underarms

ooh i'm so glad that you ladies posted these ideas. i've been trying to find a way to not stink while working out that won't keep the smell in my shirts/jerseys.

i often wear the icebreakers merino shirts while riding or working out because they wick away the sweat and don't smell bad after a couple of wears, but i noticed that if i apply regular anti perspirant the armpits hold the stink in.

i've since then just gone without using anything and the shirts no longer smell in the armpits, but when working out in close proximity i get a little self conscious about being the smelly girl in the gym haha. i'll give a few of these a try and see what works best

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Great tips, ladies. Thanks! I just switched to using Tom's natural deodorant because I'm doing this whole hippie/organic thing lately. I love just using baking soda, tho- or re-using the old deodorant container. I have a couple of those around that haven't been recycled. Cool!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I just saw this recipe today: http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2...deodorant.html

I'd have to try it working out on my own before I'd dare wear it in a crowd on a hot day. I also saw some comments that said people got yeast infections from using homemade deodorants Anyone have experience with that?

it never occured to me to make one's own deodorant. I've eschewed conventional deodorant a couple of years ago, but am still in search of an effective one.

I seem to be able to use one product (like the rock) and be effective for a couple of weeks and then suddenly I stink. Then I switch to another natural roll on which works again for a couple of weeks then I stink (mind you, nobody but myself seem to be able to smell this, and I have one stinky pit and one non-stinky pit )

I find that my merino wool shirts actually hold a bit of stink but somehow they disappear overnight. Amazing stuff.