Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Frosty the cyclist

To disable ads, please log-in.

Coldest ride ever! It has been quite mild lately, but suddenly, this morning, it was minus 20 Celsius heading into a northerly 20 km wind riding to work - could not believe it. My balaclava, shoe covers, Sugoi firewall pants, upper layers, gloves all did their job, but my water bottle froze up (the spout froze up) and found out how that kind of cold plays with the respiratory system. No ice on the path, that was a mercy, it has been dry lately. Wrapped my hands around a nice cup of coffee when I arrived at work.

Odd weather now - back up to 10 degrees Celsius in a couple of days...
    Get on your bikes and ride!
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Holy moly!!
    We're supposed to be getting a cold snap tomorrow- but nothing like THAT! Yikes!

Hopefully spring will be on it's way very soon for you!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The newspaper said it was going to be minus 10 and I even thought twice about that - but once you are on the way and it sinks in how cold it is, you are half way there! To be honest, I was not cold - but I was really dehydrated when I got to work - apparently, breathing cold air and physical exertion dries out the body quickly.
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen

I've been out on my bike when it was 23 degrees Fahrenheit once, and lots of other times in the upper 20,s, and I have noticed that it makes me a lot more fatigued. Even on one of our short rides which are 15-20 miles, I will get bleary eyed and sleepy for the rest of the day. I think maybe it burns more calories because of the cold, or it just makes me feel cold and stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by e.e.cummings View Post
    Coldest ride ever! It has been quite mild lately, but suddenly, this morning, it was minus 20 Celsius heading into a northerly 20 km wind riding to work - could not believe it. My balaclava, shoe covers, Sugoi firewall pants, upper layers, gloves all did their job, but my water bottle froze up (the spout froze up) and found out how that kind of cold plays with the respiratory system. No ice on the path, that was a mercy, it has been dry lately. Wrapped my hands around a nice cup of coffee when I arrived at work.

Odd weather now - back up to 10 degrees Celsius in a couple of days...
    Yikes
    That is one cold commute.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I've been out on my bike when it was 23 degrees Fahrenheit once, and lots of other times in the upper 20,s, and I have noticed that it makes me a lot more fatigued. Even on one of our short rides which are 15-20 miles, I will get bleary eyed and sleepy for the rest of the day. I think maybe it burns more calories because of the cold, or it just makes me feel cold and stiff.
    Good for all you riding in the cold!

There is huge debate about why riding in extreme cold makes you feel more tired, but everybody agrees -- riding in very cold temperatures is orders of magnitude more difficult than riding the same route in moderate or warm temperatures. Here's an interesting discussion about slower winter riding.

Happily, since I moved to the Pacific Northwest, I've not had to worry about anything below about 35°F all winter. Today it was 37°F and raining with a moderate south wind (I ride south in the morning, naturally) -- not exactly delightful, but perfectly fine with the right clothes.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

The wild thing is that we are going to go up to 26 degrees Celsius on Saturday - this is the biggest spread I have ever seen in Montreal just over a week. (Sorry, I am no good at converting to Fahrenheit, but that is going to be like a summer day...)
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen

I prefer not to do commute cold because of the conditions. I get scared of what could possibly happen. In addition, our bodies are more likely to adapt and slow down in the cold. I scare myself sometimes thinking I might freeze up on the road or have cramps.

But I don't know how true. I just don't risk it.

Spring's coming soon though! It'll get better by then.