Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike helmet fit for the oblong

To disable ads, please log-in.

or am I doomed to look silly? Currently, my helmet is a basic Bell Athena -57 cm. I lave a long/oblong head and cannot for the life of me find a helmet that fits correctly &/or doesn't look alienesk. I have looked at multiple LBSs, chain stores and sporting stores w/ no such luck. I have looked at a few different styles & fits, but all look like they ride too high/are too skinny (*LBS owner nor I can quite decide what the issue is- maybe it's my face ). Most helmets make me look like I shoved on a kid's helmet that is 2 sizes too small. I understand I will not find a helmet that makes me look super-attractive, but obviously want one that will fit my weirdo head and still look "good".

*Please ignore the face, body and silly puppy-bill (tour de fat, last minute add-on to look "festive").

Maybe a flatter (not domed) helmet? Deeper shell? Different size? Help, I don't even know what to look for! Ideas?! Price should most likely be under $50, b/c I am a poor, poor young sap.
    Last edited by tharley; 03-25-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Have you tried a Nutcase helmet?
    www.nutcasehelmets.com
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Most people typically say that Giro's are more oval, though I assume you've tried several Giros in your search.

Honestly I think the one in your picture seems to fit fine. I understand the "dorky helmet look" feeling though. I don't think anyone thinks they look particularly good in a helmet.

I will say I did notice a difference in fit and perceived appearance when I went to the $100-150 range from the $30-45 range. I think it has something to do with them being more individually sized, with more ventilation/styling (particularly in the front and back), more shape of their own (rather than just a circular mellon), and less exposed foam.

If you haven't looked at the higher end helmets it might be a good idea to look at them even if they are out of your budget (then, if you find one, keep an eye out for 40-50% off sales which pop up from time to time, especially online).

You may also want to look at mountain bike specific helmets, a relatively new design range, they tend to cover lower on the back of your head and have a different overall shape profile.

Three harder to find brands that I can think of you should see if you can't find are: Specialized, Lazer, and Rudy Project though I've only tried a Specialized myself (and immediately purchased it...).

I agree, I don't think anyone looks all that good in a helmet. Even when you get into the break and win a stage of the Tour of Catalonia like Jens here did today:

http://velonews.competitor.com/wp-co.../lis2268_2.jpg

The important thing is that he embraces the look and celebrates as he crosses the line.

But good fit is important. I've always been able to find a Giro that feels good on my head (although not all Giros fit me well), so I unfortunately I don't have any advice for that, except to keep trying.

I just got a Specialized Echelon helmet and love it. Had a Giro Skyla before and always had to adjust it, the straps, the dial on the back, pull it down on my forehead 'cos it'd ride back.

The Specialized fits like a glove, fits nice and low on my forehead, stays put, and looks pretty darn cool, for a helmet. It's got more of a slope to it in appearance, and would maybe look less round or dome-shaped? Lots of vents for keeping cool in the summer too

And at $60, it didn't totally break the bank. I was looking at a $100 helmet (the Propero) when I found the Echelon and liked the way it fit and looked better.

I can't see the problem visually either.

When the helmet is long enough that it doesn't give you a headache from pressure on the forehead, do you have gaps on the sides? That's kind of what it sounds like you're describing?

What brands have you tried on so far?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I assumed you were talking about the way the helmet looks a bit like a yamulka, like it doesn't come down far enough on the sides and back. (the gap between your ears and the helmet) That's why I thought of the Nutcase, because they are deeper top-to-bottom and might cover more of your skull.

If you are talking about oblong front-to-back problem, like you have an aerodynamic skull; I've had good luck with Bell Citi and most Bell helmets. Giros are far too round for me, crushing my forehead while leaving wide gaps on the sides.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    If you are talking about oblong front-to-back problem, like you have an aerodynamic skull; I've had good luck with Bell Citi and most Bell helmets. Giros are far too round for me, crushing my forehead while leaving wide gaps on the sides.
    I have the opposite problem. My head is too round and I get squeezed by the helmet on the sides with too much room front and back. I've got a small Gyro that fits well unless I put more than one thin cap under it, then I get head squeeze.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I found this helmet website http://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm which has a section on helmets for narrow heads which you might find helpful.

"At least three manufacturers have identified for us their models for longer, narrower heads: Cratoni, Ironman and Lazer. In addition, riders have said that the Lazer Genesis/Helium) fit their longer head better."

Quote Originally Posted by esl899 View Post
    Well I think we're all doomed to look silly, but who cares? Own that helmet!
    What matters is how you look after you fall...

I just read that Uvex have a longer fore-aft fit than Giro, as well. I know a lot of people who wear Uvex.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I assumed you were talking about the way the helmet looks a bit like a yamulka, like it doesn't come down far enough on the sides and back. (the gap between your ears and the helmet) That's why I thought of the Nutcase, because they are deeper top-to-bottom and might cover more of your skull.

I always felt the Giros were longer and the Bells rounder
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I think the Giros are too round

Anyway... I have an oval dome and I vote Specialized. I currently have the Propero and love it. I started with a $40 Aurora on sale, and it fit the same.

Quote Originally Posted by esl899 View Post
    yep a big joke
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

You folks are SO wrong!

There is NOTHING better looking than a woman with a helmet and a smile on a bike. NOTHING!

(Live the fantasy!)