Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Anyone ride in baggy knickers? If so, brands you like?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone ride in baggy (for most bike gear) bike knickers like Zoic, Chrome, Fox, etc??

If so, are there ones you've liked? Seems like most gals here ride spandex - from most comments I've seen. I like wearing my jerseys (T.E. ladies shout out ) with my padded shorts under my reg shorts - but come summer I have a feeling that'll be too warm. I want some stylish well fitting knickers - but I am short and curvy. My hips are wide - even if I get to be the weight I want - I'll still have these danged hips.

So, any good brands of baggy knickers/shorts you recommend - thin chamois is preferred. If you know of a great knicker/shant/capri that you recommend without a chamois or isn't cycling specific - please share.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

yup

I do but only Ground Effect ones. I have a pair of Martinis but if would like to try the Tom Thumbs. I had a pair of baggies when we first started biking & wouldn't mind going back to them just as a change when hitting the dirt.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-SHO.htm

I have a pair of Zoics that I like -- they have a little argyle pattern on one side. I don't see them on the TE site anymore. They worked as a nice alternative to tights, especially for commuting in to the office where I didn't want to be seen wearing anything too form fitting.

The liner is removable so you can wear whatever you like under them. Fabric was lightweight and quick-drying. Not sure what in their current product line would be comparable, though.

Also have a pair of PI capris that seem to have been discontinued as well. Maybe similar to the Auroras. They didn't hold up after a few washings -- the seat of the pants kept getting caught on the nose of my saddle whenever I stopped to wait at a light. Fabric is more of a knit synthetic, nice for chilly days.

I haven't had the greatest luck finding cycling-specific baggy knickers. Not really sure why, but they don't seem to fit me well. I've started buying liner shorts (love the Terry ones!), and any comfy woven "outdoor" knickers. TJ Maxx/Marshall's is a great place to find these for cheap. My current favorites are a pair of The North Face from Marshall's, and a pair from Lands End that are no longer made (I think).

This is a great topic to bring up because I have had a hard time tring to find something that will work for me too.

About two years ago -or so-I bought some "cycling capris" from Performance in the Women's category. I tried them on and they hit at the low waist, so when I ride my pants are lower than what I would like. No only that, they are cotton so they do not have a good "move" factor. If anyone would like these. I have two.

So as a result of the above findings, I started looking elsewhere. I have looked in TJMAXX but they have a lot of the Yoga pants. I have not been able to find any real "outdoor" type pants there. Perhaps, I am not going there often enough?

My other solution has been to go back to Performance. I have a pair of their Boulder riding shorts that have enough pockets and room for me. I would really like another pair. They also have a Boulder capris for guys. I purchase a man's pair last year form REI and I have fallen in love with them. They are the best. I guess I have been converted to the men's side.

When I look at the Women's stuff it all seems to be on the trendy side and not to functional. I guess you could say that about most women's clothes though I am always on the look out for something that will work. The Terry capris has my interest peeked but at $90 it must be made out of silver or something.

These are my thoughts....

Red Rock

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Modern, have you looked at Sugoi Greta capri?

I ride in a Sugoi baggy mtb short and the Terry scooter capri. I like how both fit me and I consider myself as having a curvy build. Both products have a removable chamois liner. Sugoi liners are more on the thinner side like the Terry chamois.

I ordered the Sugoi Greta shorts and the Shebeest BoardRider Capri and will be coming in this week. I'll let you know how I like them.

I like the idea of the loose fitting shorts for wearing when I'm riding around town, on trails, etc. I hope I like them.

Susan
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't wear shorts nor tights with a chamois and I cycle for long distances for years. Yes, not normal. I give up, tryin' to explain this one.

I prefer to wear lycra shorts or tights. But this is a pair of ordinary shorts that I found works for me when it's cooler and when I'm cycling:
    http://www.sickle.com/products.php?p...%252d-Closeout
    Has a waistband with zipper & button, plus a drawstring. The machine embroidery design on 1 side is nice, in same colour thread as the short material. Not sure if the size left, is yours. The shorts waistband starts just immediately underneath bellybutton. I am incredibly picky about ordinary shorts for cycling, since alot of them don't fit me (usually the waistband creates a gaping hole in my back which is why I like the drawstring for better fit on this style plus the fit of proper waistband with button.), then there's the right placement of seams that is not bothersome, yaddyadadaaa.

Pic taken last yr. with a sis. (She will turn 50 in a few wks. soon.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009toronto.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	11097  
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-25-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Shootingstar, I am wondering how you've managed to make friends with the center seam in your shorts--particularly for those looong rides.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Shootingstar, I am wondering how you've managed to make friends with the center seam in your shorts--particularly for those looong rides.
    I do ride my bikes where the saddle either has a centre hole / dip depression.
    On lycra bottoms, it's less of a big deal. On non-lycra shorts, I'm pretty picky on how the seam is finished or the whole cut of the pant/shorts.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I received the Shebeest BoardRider Capri pants today. I really like the shell and will probably wear them without liner short just as capri's. They're really cute and have pockets, etc.

I am kind of down on the Triple S short chamois which is what these have, but will keep them anyway because it is the capri shell I wanted. I can use any chamois liner under them.

The Greta short I ordered is due later in the week. I also got the PI Elite baggy short but will be returning it if I like the Greta.

That is the current state of my shopping for bike shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLash View Post
    I received the Shebeest BoardRider Capri pants today. I really like the shell and will probably wear them without liner short just as capri's. They're really cute and have pockets, etc.

I am kind of down on the Triple S short chamois which is what these have, but will keep them anyway because it is the capri shell I wanted. I can use any chamois liner under them.

The Greta short I ordered is due later in the week. I also got the PI Elite baggy short but will be returning it if I like the Greta.

That is the current state of my shopping for bike shorts.
    I have the PI Elite baggy short, and I do like them. I didn't notice the Greta short - that might be a good choice for when I am riding to the office - I do NOT want to wear spandex there

The Greta short came today and I love them!!!

http://www.rei.com/product/800220
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sugoi greta short.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	11102  

I have the Zoic La Vida knickers and really like them! There are two snaps on the bottom so I can tighten them when I'm riding, and loosen them when I'm just walking around. The material is lightweight, and the liner is, well, Kick *** (that's the name of it, and it's very comfortable ). I wasn't sure what to do about the sizing, as my waist put me at a small, but my hips put me at a medium. I went with the medium, and haven't had an issue, as the waist has velcro straps that you can pull in to adjust the fit.

I also ordered the All Night Long shorts for when it gets a little warmer. I had tried on a pair and they're a little heavier-weight material than the La Vida's and have a lower cut waist. I went with the smalls on these. And I love the plaid, plaid, PLAID!

Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post
    I have the Zoic La Vida knickers and really like them! There are two snaps on the bottom so I can tighten them when I'm riding, and loosen them when I'm just walking around. The material is lightweight, and the liner is, well, Kick *** (that's the name of it, and it's very comfortable ). I wasn't sure what to do about the sizing, as my waist put me at a small, but my hips put me at a medium. I went with the medium, and haven't had an issue, as the waist has velcro straps that you can pull in to adjust the fit.

I also ordered the All Night Long shorts for when it gets a little warmer. I had tried on a pair and they're a little heavier-weight material than the La Vida's and have a lower cut waist. I went with the smalls on these. And I love the plaid, plaid, PLAID!
    I love these, though am afraid of plaid

My problem is how I am built. Unlike most women, ALL of my weight is in my stomach, while everything is a lot smaller these days I still have that problem. There can be a full size difference between my stomach and hips Outside of being large busted I am built more like a man in that way.

Everything else is skinny

All of this leads to my question, on the shorts you have reported on, and the same for the Greta shorts if someone has experience with them. I do NOT want to get them to fit my stomach (I am extremely high-waisted which is why I am not referring to my waist) but to fit my legs. Do the waistband in these shorts provide enough give for this? I wear a medium in PI shorts (and their baggy shorts as well).