Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Laurel Hill Singletrack / Lorton Prison

To disable ads, please log-in.

I cut off at Lorton last Sunday on my way to my Mom's to avoid some traffic on 95 and was surprised to see a mountain biker coming down some nice looking single track behind the prison as I drove by...

So I just googled it and MORE seems to have made 10 miles of trails back in there. From what I can tell, it doesn't look too technical, but looks like nice riding with some interesting prison related scenery.

If anyone wants to try it sometime with me - it's close enough to the Occoquan that we could make it a kayak/bike trip.

http://www.trailvoice.com/washington...ountain-biking
    http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13772

That looks like mad fun! I don't get down to VA often (ever), but maybe I'll have to make some plans... DH and I want to start exploring the trails beyond Delaware and Fair Hill, MD.

I was surprised to see the trails - they've done a good job with that old prison, turning the buildings into an art center with classes & exhibitions, and the lands into park.

It does look fun, but I'm not sure it's worth driving from Delaware for! Patapsco and Gambrill state park in Maryland have good mountain biking. There's also Schaeffer farm.

I just might take you up on that once I return from FL. I'll be in touch upon my return and we can talk about possible meet up plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    It does look fun, but I'm not sure it's worth driving from Delaware for! Patapsco and Gambrill state park in Maryland have good mountain biking. There's also Schaeffer farm.
    No, it wouldn't be worth the trip alone, but it would be fun to add onto another trip

Patapsco is definitely on the list!

ooo

Looks nice but is it mostly rail trail??

Why are you guys walking over those rocks??? Balance is the key

Oh, I just stole someone else's pictures.

I have no idea why they're walking across the rocks.

ah

Ah i see!

I'm sure that when you ride it, that rocky bit over the stream will be tons o fun

mmmm..singletrack.mmmm

http://www.trailvoice.com/washington...ountain-biking

I finally went over and tried this today. The giles meadow trailhead is at 8400 Lorton rd - so less than a mile off the lorton exit on 95.

My older brother bought a mountain bike a couple months ago, so we met at Laurel Hills before heading over to visit our mother who lives close by.

It's not a super technical trail - okay, I didn't go on the most difficult route after my brother took a header into a tree through a pricker bush. I figured we should work our way back after that one. But what it is, is tight fun single track that you can pick up a lot of speed and has a lot of quick turns - good for skills work - lots of places the trail has gravel, so my back tire skidded out quick a bit... But it was a lot of fun, and I saw at least 3 Daddy & daughter pairs riding the trails - and it's super cute actually seeing an 8 year old girl on a trail. It does wind around the prison grounds, so there's boarded up old buildings, prison watch towers, old bridges, etc that are pretty entertaining - I should go sometime and bring a camera.

A few of the trails were reasonably rooted with some logs to jump, etc.

Cool! I've got up to DC for the Breast Cancer 3-Day walks. Our first year we went along those trails and paths - got to practive my mountain-biking skills while looking after the walkers. Loved that tunnel!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I should go sometime and bring a camera.
    Let me know when.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.