Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: Have you ever tried riding in bibshorts?

Voters
201. This poll is closed
  • Yes, and I liked them!

75 37.31%
  • Yes, but they weren't for me.

14 6.97%
  • No, but I want to try them someday.

51 25.37%
  • No, I'm not at all interested in them.

61 30.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Have you ever tried bibshorts?

Curious behinds want to know, have you ever tried riding in bibshorts?
    Jeff Mendenhall
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

The only reason I don't like them is because on long rides when you have to go to the bathroom they're more trouble then they're worth for women. Men have it easy, they don't have to undo everything just to go, but I find it to be a hassle, and otherwise didn't see that much of a difference between regular shorts.
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

to me the comfort and support is well worth the few extra seconds they add to my pit stop.

I bought my first pair last week and I think I will only buy bibs from now on. They are so comfortable.

ETA: PI has come out with a bib that has a drop tail for easy pit stops.
    Last edited by rubywagon; 03-23-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Would like to try some but not sure about the whole bathroom thing, seems tidious to use. Has anyone tried the new PI droptail style?

Also, are the straps uncomfortable in the chest area? Most men don't have anything hanging around there but for us women, I would think they would squish the boobies or something.

I tried the drop tails on and "practiced" dropping it and it was actually really great. I ended up buying another pair because I liked the chamois better and don't mind having to "un-bib" if needed.

The bibs I ended up buying have a clip on the chest so you can put the straps more over your boobs, or leave it unclipped and have them go to the side. I am small chested, so I don't mind them going over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeanvw View Post
    ETA: PI has come out with a bib that has a drop tail for easy pit stops.
    haha... that's hilarious!!
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

I wear the ones I have on shorter rides, when I know I won't have to use the bathroom.
    You should never stop learning: :

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I am not sure how they would help make my ride easier...I assume that's the reason.

Most jerseys are the right hem length for me. Waistband in shorts/tights don't cut into my stomach.

I don't get it. I'm only 5'1" and small-boned.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Mmmkay, maybe that's where this needs to start: for those of us who don't wear them, what is the point of bibs?

I was under the impression that they kept the chamois in place better than regular shorts. But the PI drop tail almost seems like it would do the opposite, with no fastening to hold the back end in place.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Waistbands in shorts don't cut into my waist either (my favourite ones rest on my hipbones), and for everyday use I'm happiest in regular shorts. I did buy a pair of bibs after hearing everyone rave about them, and for longer rides when I'll need to eat - and digest - on bike, they're a tad more comfortable. It's not a big difference to me, but I get HUNGRY, and digesting food with a semi-high HR while hunched over isn't the best position so the lack of waistband helps a little. They're also a little more comfortable on those days when you're retaining water and suddenly a size larger than the day before...

But for 90 % of my rides being able to whip off my shorts fast to pee is a lot more important.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Talking

My husband swears by bibs. I would love to try the PI bibs. I pee often and would want the drop tail option. My problem is that I am only 5' tall and the shorts end up being too long for my comfort level. I prefer a 6" inseam. Anybody know of anything like that?

PI Bibs

We should have the new PI bibs in stock any day now...
    Jeff Mendenhall
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I have two bibs. The Assos bib shorts have a bodice (not the buckled ones) so you can unzip a jersey (or go no jersey if you had a better body than me!) on hot days. But the Giordana bibtights are brilliant - may as well be naked they're so comfortable. I wouldn't buy bibs with straps over the boobs; I prefer the central front strap like the Giordanda. But I don't find shorts uncomfortable and will sometimes choose them for long rides that might require the odd tree.

BIBS ++

No elastic in the waist is the real key. Especially on longer rides when I'm taking in a ton of food and water, not having the pinch by the bellybutton as I bloat is KEY.

The real trick is to wear a *full-zip* jersey when you wear bibs, especially if you carry stuff in the back pockets. When you go to pee, there's no worry about dumping all your stuff around the porta-potty.

-- gnat!