Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: Have you ever tried riding in bibshorts?

Voters
201. This poll is closed
  • Yes, and I liked them!

75 37.31%
  • Yes, but they weren't for me.

14 6.97%
  • No, but I want to try them someday.

51 25.37%
  • No, I'm not at all interested in them.

61 30.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    in an I-Don't-Care kick, on the handlebars while I strut around in my sports bra.
    I find baselayers are good for that, too, particularly since I'm not quite brave enough to do any strutting in just a sports bra. Bra + base + bibstraps + full-zip jersey = works out fine for me.

Yes, I love how they feel, but on the tandem I spend a fair bit of time looking down and...well...if those ancient thighs were covered by fabric... they might look less... um... cottage cheesy. How the mind wanders...

Can you direct me to the bib capris?

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yikes - that is good to know. I know someone that I can order PI stuff at a 40% discount and am debating between several items. Can the strappy thing be removed I wonder? The 40% discount is ever so much more affordable than TE bib shorts (sorry TE)...
    You could even leave the strap clip thingamajig attached and just fold them under, if you didn't want to cut/resew.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeanvw View Post
    You could even leave the strap clip thingamajig attached and just fold them under, if you didn't want to cut/resew.
    Good idea - they look fine otherwise - and when else can I get such a deal for them? I didn't even think about just folding them under - talk about over-thinking

still on the fence

Well, after reading most of the posts I'm still on the fence. I have heard that Bibs are extremely comfortable, but always from men. It's nice to hear women rave about them. And, like so many, I am the Queen of peeing on the side of the road. In fact, I'm so good at it I amaze people with how fast and discreetly I can do it. Plus, it's usually a matter of "gotta go NOW". The longer I ride, the more I find the "signal" gets sent as rubber legs while riding and practically wetting myself when I get caught by a light. All of which make me wary of adding another complication.
    In my search of Bib options I have been drawn to the "stap between the girls" style. I'm bigger busted and they sit further apart, so I figured it would be easier to wear than starps down the sides. This may also stem from my struggle to keep anything on my shoulders too.
    So now what I want to know is: does a full-zip jersey help in the whole potty break scenario? Do bibs tend to keep you warmer, cooler, or it makes no difference? (I live in Southern AZ, in a few months I'll be riding in temps of 80-90 in the morning) Has anyone tried Descente C6 bibs? I don't like PI, chamoises are too thick, am also considering Giordana & Etxe Ondo, any opinions or advices? Also, I'm 5'3", 134# and in my late 40's so this will probably be like giving your mom advice on her cycling clothing, verses your girlfriends.
    I look forward to all the input and advice you women have to offer me!

I tried some from Giordana and they were a bit short for my torso. I'm long torso, and short legs. Another pair I tried, and happened to be on sale / clearance at the time for extra incentive, were these...
    http://www.velowear.com/products/1120188BLK2XL.aspx

They fit like a glove. Just long enough, without cutting into my shoulders. BUT, I just still couldn't wrap my mind around being that bundeled up.

I had considered wearing bibs, crop sports bra, and a mesh top for hotter rides. But the idea of an extra layer of fabric covering my torso just do it for me.

And the waist band thing, maybe it's my long torso, but I hate a non-elastic waist band also. They slide down as you ride, and just feel un-supportive.

I like everything "locked & locked" tight. I don't like anything loose because it feels like my clothes are going to fall off on the ride and I might end up nekkid.

I wish I could figure out how to love em though.

When I wore bibs, I worked out my own system for nature calls. I'm not a pee on the side of the road gal, I usually end up hitting my foot, so this is for porta potties and real honest to goodness flush toilet facilities.

Unzip the jersey, pull my arms out, wear jersey like a necklace. Slide bib straps off shoulder and pull 'em down. Take care of business, pull 'em up, slide straps back, re-orient jersey.

I wish they had bib running tights..

Quote Originally Posted by supercutie View Post
    So now what I want to know is: does a full-zip jersey help in the whole potty break scenario? Do bibs tend to keep you warmer, cooler, or it makes no difference? (I live in Southern AZ, in a few months I'll be riding in temps of 80-90 in the morning) Has anyone tried Descente C6 bibs? I don't like PI, chamoises are too thick, am also considering Giordana & Etxe Ondo, any opinions or advices? Also, I'm 5'3", 134# and in my late 40's so this will probably be like giving your mom advice on her cycling clothing, verses your girlfriends.
    I look forward to all the input and advice you women have to offer me!
    I pretty much always wear a full zip jersey if wearing bibs. Normal jerseys make it all the more likely that the phone will end up in the porcelain. I just wish jersey manufacturers (or stockists) would make more women's jerseys with full zips.

I think bibs are marginally warmer. Even my Assos bibshorts which are summer weight fabric seem warmer, but it's as simple as leaving the jersey open to compensate.

My Giordana donna roubaix bibs are lovely, but the chamois isn't as thick as Assos. I love the straps - soft, no buckles, stretchy. Haven't tried the others you're considering. I'm short too (shorter than you) and the bibs are no problem.

I LOVE BIBS!!!

I never really thought about the waistband of shorts being too constrictive until I bought bibs. Then I went for a ride, and up the first long hill, I thought, OMG, I can BREATHE! I will never go back to shorts.

I have worn both strap styles (center and traditional). I have even worn both at the same time (Assos tights over shorts). I don't really have a preference, though I guess the center one is nicer in the winter when I don't want to take off my many top layers. The normal twin strap style I guess is nicer when it's warmer, because I can unzip the jersey and have a little more air flow. Otherwise, my biggest gripe with the center ones that I have are kind of tight, because they are women's and are short, and I usually prefer men's gear for strap length comfort. The center clasp popped open on me on a ride, probably because I have them stretched to the max.

I've decided to go with one of TE's bib shorts rather than PIs - these look more comfy and cooler in the long-term than the kind that PI sells. The cost is rather higher though However I don't need them next week!

I loved the idea of bibs (nice smooth lines, no waist elastic) - but I pee for England so I discounted them. But then I discovered some made by a German company called Protective (I know, crap name). They have a zipper w/ a long tag (bit like a wetsuit) that undoes just so you can basically pull them down over your butt. I never notice the zip when I am riding & it's easy to pull down & up even w/ lots of layers. The chamois is really comfy & the front of the bib is a Y shape so it goes between the bosoms. In fact I usually put it on under my sports bra so it lies against the skin. The other thing is that the top 1/2 of the bib is white so it doesn't show under a pale top. They aren't very cheap (but cheaper than many of the brand mentioned here) - I think they do longs too. I think the model is called Franke or something similar. In the UK the only place that supplies them is the Edinburgh Bicycling Co-Op. Definitely recommend them - all the advantages of bibs without the disadvantage. Might try the PI ones too. Would never try the ones that don't come off easily - I would spend more time stripping & dressing than I did riding . . .

Maybe TE could become a US distributor for Protective!

I like the look of those waistbands too!
    http://www.protective.de/2010ss_cycl...lash.html#/48/

I love my PI PRO bibs. I find them infinitely more comfortable than any pair of cycling shorts that I own...and I own many ranging from PI, Sugoi, Shebeest, and Zoot. The thing that sold me on bibs, is the fact that they hold in my tummy. I'm 44, have been up and down with my weight, so I have a rather unattractive "pouch" that simply won't go away no matter how much weight I lose. The bibs support my lower abdomen SO much better than shorts do. Shorts just bind and dig into my waist, and I find many of them are a lower rise cut...which offers NOTHING in the way of support for my tummy "pouch". Pearl Izumi came out with a new "drop tail" design (for potty stops) bibshort for women this year...so I'll be checking those out soon.

I have just got my first bib shorts and I love them, no more elastic waists and no more bare skin when your jersey rides up.

I actually went with boys ones, because you can find them cheap and on sale. Santini ones seem to fit well.

As for the peeing thing well the first time I did the old trick we all learnt when changing for sports at school - slip the straps off the shoulders and down the arms then you can drop the shorts without taking off the jersey.

But that doesn't work if you're wearing a jacket, long sleeves and it's time consuming. So out came the "joke" present for xmas - the Shewee - the Santini shorts are low enough at the front to use this and if I can perfect the technique it means peeing will be super easy.