Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: Have you ever tried riding in bibshorts?

Voters
201. This poll is closed
  • Yes, and I liked them!

75 37.31%
  • Yes, but they weren't for me.

14 6.97%
  • No, but I want to try them someday.

51 25.37%
  • No, I'm not at all interested in them.

61 30.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am not sure how they would help make my ride easier...I assume that's the reason.

Most jerseys are the right hem length for me. Waistband in shorts/tights don't cut into my stomach.

I don't get it. I'm only 5'1" and small-boned.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Mmmkay, maybe that's where this needs to start: for those of us who don't wear them, what is the point of bibs?

I was under the impression that they kept the chamois in place better than regular shorts. But the PI drop tail almost seems like it would do the opposite, with no fastening to hold the back end in place.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Waistbands in shorts don't cut into my waist either (my favourite ones rest on my hipbones), and for everyday use I'm happiest in regular shorts. I did buy a pair of bibs after hearing everyone rave about them, and for longer rides when I'll need to eat - and digest - on bike, they're a tad more comfortable. It's not a big difference to me, but I get HUNGRY, and digesting food with a semi-high HR while hunched over isn't the best position so the lack of waistband helps a little. They're also a little more comfortable on those days when you're retaining water and suddenly a size larger than the day before...

But for 90 % of my rides being able to whip off my shorts fast to pee is a lot more important.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Talking

My husband swears by bibs. I would love to try the PI bibs. I pee often and would want the drop tail option. My problem is that I am only 5' tall and the shorts end up being too long for my comfort level. I prefer a 6" inseam. Anybody know of anything like that?

PI Bibs

We should have the new PI bibs in stock any day now...
    Jeff Mendenhall
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I have two bibs. The Assos bib shorts have a bodice (not the buckled ones) so you can unzip a jersey (or go no jersey if you had a better body than me!) on hot days. But the Giordana bibtights are brilliant - may as well be naked they're so comfortable. I wouldn't buy bibs with straps over the boobs; I prefer the central front strap like the Giordanda. But I don't find shorts uncomfortable and will sometimes choose them for long rides that might require the odd tree.

BIBS ++

No elastic in the waist is the real key. Especially on longer rides when I'm taking in a ton of food and water, not having the pinch by the bellybutton as I bloat is KEY.

The real trick is to wear a *full-zip* jersey when you wear bibs, especially if you carry stuff in the back pockets. When you go to pee, there's no worry about dumping all your stuff around the porta-potty.

-- gnat!

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    The real trick is to wear a *full-zip* jersey when you wear bibs, especially if you carry stuff in the back pockets. When you go to pee, there's no worry about dumping all your stuff around the porta-potty.
    So I have to ask - where do you put the jersey while trying to potty? I'm hearing the reasoning on bibs (where I hadn't been interested), but I can just see me falling in after sliding around on cleats trying to get sweaty bibs off?? Isn't it like trying to get a wet swimming suit back on?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

The one pair of bib shorts I have are Castelli, they're comfortable (except for that awful kiss pad they invented!), but like I mentioned before, a pain when you have to go to the bathroom. Mine have the two straps that go up and over your shoulders, they're very stretchy, flexible, and soft, so it never feels tight or constricting when you wear them, the straps end up sitting on the outside of each boob. And honestly, you don't even notice them while riding. So, what I end up doing is pulling each strap down while my jersey is still on, getting them back up takes a little more manuevering. In my regular clothes I'm often the type who will take my bra off at home without taking my shirt off, so it's the same idea as that. If you can master that you can master bibs haha... The benefit is no constricting waist band, but my other favorite pair of shorts are Assos, and they have a wide and flexible waistband and are honestly just as comfortable as my Castelli bib (with a better pad of course!)!
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

I wouldn't mind trying bib knickers — it's interesting to read how comfortable bibs are. Thanks for this poll and discussion.

If you live in the sweltering inferno of the south and wear sleeveless alot bibs don't matter for peeing. Just slide the straps out the arm hole, kinda like taking a bra off without taking off your shirt.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    So I have to ask - where do you put the jersey while trying to potty? I'm hearing the reasoning on bibs (where I hadn't been interested), but I can just see me falling in after sliding around on cleats trying to get sweaty bibs off?? Isn't it like trying to get a wet swimming suit back on?
    Jersey goes on a hook or wrapped around the door handle or, in an I-Don't-Care kick, on the handlebars while I strut around in my sports bra.

I don't find bibs any harder to take off than normal bike shorts. Slip off the straps and fold over the top of the spandex-part to peel down. When done, just roll it back up and wiggle back under the straps.

The other benefit, which I forgot to mention, is walking around in sports bra, bibs, and cleats, but tugging on the bib-straps with your thumbs like suspenders and doing a little vaudeville dance. (Works better on women for some reason)

-- gnat!

Has anyone tried the PI bib shorts that have the little strap that connects the bib straps? http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_0475.html It looks to me like this would perhaps be right under the breasts - surely not OVER them

I tried the PI bibs and the Sugoi RSE bibs, with the little strap thing, and they both fell right on top of my chest, not under.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeanvw View Post
    I tried the PI bibs and the Sugoi RSE bibs, with the little strap thing, and they both fell right on top of my chest, not under.
    Yikes - that is good to know. I know someone that I can order PI stuff at a 40% discount and am debating between several items. Can the strappy thing be removed I wonder? The 40% discount is ever so much more affordable than TE bib shorts (sorry TE)...
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-28-2010 at 11:03 AM.