Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

That's who I thought. You are definitely in good hands. Chris built my Custom Serotta-Ottrott, 48 cm frame with 650c wheels. The fit is wonderful!

At the time I didn't know Chris very well so it was a huge leap of faith for me to commit that amount of money to a fitter and a company I didn't know well.

The care that Chris and his employees took with me the first time I went into his shop convinced me I was in good hands. Besides, he had trained the fitter I worked with in Cincinnati.

Ooooo, custom Serotta!! That may be my PhD present to myself! I always drool over those in the shop. They are out of my league for now though.

I know far too well the "leap of faith" you speak of. People have been trying to get me to get a custom bike for awhile now and I just couldn't get over that trusting someone to build it to fit and ride the way I wanted without me, well, riding it first.

A year of riding with and 2 bike purchases (a Yeti and an Wilier) from Chris though and I had no doubt in my mind letting him get one built up for me. He said "custom Spot" and I said "when's the fitting" without batting an eye.

The first time I ever walked into the shop was about 20 minutes before they closed and on a school night (so I walked in like the typical student with a backpack, etc) wondering if they had an XXS Yeti I could try. It was late and raining so I expected to come back that weekend if they had one (I also never expected they'd have one). Chris spent 30 minutes on a trainer fitting me to that test bike, and then even though they were closed and it was raining INSISTED I go ride it and get it muddy as well as the other bike they had that would fit (a rocky mountain) for comparisons sake. Any other shop would have probably treated me like a stupid short chick that didn't know what she was doing and couldn't afford the bike anyway; especially at that time of day (and even a good shop would have told me to come back at a different time). Chris is just simply amazing.

Do you ever come ride up this way?

Quote Originally Posted by MartianDestiny View Post
    Glad to hear another instance of this being done.

What was your brake solution? Are you using disks or some sort of modifiable canti?
    I have longer reach Shimano road brakes. Switching wheels means shifting the pads up or down a couple milimeters and fiddling with the pad angle. Because the 650c and 26" wheels have different rim widths, I also adjust the brake barrel to compensate so I get the same lever travel. The road brake caliper restricts the tire size I can use to 1.5" max. If you might want to run knobby cx tires, you probably don't want caliper brakes, and typical cantis are somewhat difficult to move and center the pads. Definitely pay attention to ease of brake pad adjustment in whatever brakes you get.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Ooooo, custom Serotta!! That may be my PhD present to myself! I always drool over those in the shop. They are out of my league for now though.

I know far too well the "leap of faith" you speak of. People have been trying to get me to get a custom bike for awhile now and I just couldn't get over that trusting someone to build it to fit and ride the way I wanted without me, well, riding it first.

A year of riding with and 2 bike purchases (a Yeti and an Wilier) from Chris though and I had no doubt in my mind letting him get one built up for me. He said "custom Spot" and I said "when's the fitting" without batting an eye.

The first time I ever walked into the shop was about 20 minutes before they closed and on a school night (so I walked in like the typical student with a backpack, etc) wondering if they had an XXS Yeti I could try. It was late and raining so I expected to come back that weekend if they had one (I also never expected they'd have one). Chris spent 30 minutes on a trainer fitting me to that test bike, and then even though they were closed and it was raining INSISTED I go ride it and get it muddy as well as the other bike they had that would fit (a rocky mountain) for comparisons sake. Any other shop would have probably treated me like a stupid short chick that didn't know what she was doing and couldn't afford the bike anyway; especially at that time of day (and even a good shop would have told me to come back at a different time). Chris is just simply amazing.

Do you ever come ride up this way?
    No, I haven't ridden in the Boulder area mainly because I don't know the area and it's so easy to ride out my garage and head anywhere in the Denver area that it's hard to put my bike in the car and drive to a ride.

Yes, a custom Serotta. After 2 road bikes that didn't fit I gave up and went custom. Like you say, it's very scary spending the money on a bike you have no chance of riding.

My experience with Chris and SG was this. I was new to the area and had promised myself a custom frame for my retirement. It was between Seven and Serotta and I called several shops in the Denver area. While they were very encouraging about helping me out they were very discouraging about having anything small enough for me to do a test ride. When I called SG their response was they had a smaller Serotta frame and they would do everything possible to match it to my current bike. When I arrived Chris met me at the door, greeted me like I was an old friend and indeed set the bike up close enough for me to demo and get a feel for a Serotta and a carbon/ti frame. Chris told me to focus on the frame materials and not the size of the bike. I thought the bike felt pretty good size wise and wondered if I needed a smaller frame. Then Chris sent me out on highway 36. We got around 15 miles in and while I loved the feel of the bike my body started to ache everywhere. Yes, a too big of a bike does not feel very good.

In January I set up an appt for a fitting and to proceed with the build. A week before the fitting I tore my ACL and had to cancel. I had surgery in late Feb. but Chris fitted was still able to do the fitting in spite of the injury. Of course, I worried that my injury would throw the fit off but when I finally got my bike, wow, it fit so perfectly not one thing had to be changed.

When I had knee and back issues last summer Chris saw that my saddle was contributing to the problem and recommended a different saddle. Later I bought the same saddle for my mtn bike from another shop (big mistake) who tried to fit it and had to take it to Chris for a proper fit. He made some other changes and wow how much better the bike rides. So now if I need to make changes to my bike Chris is the only person I'll take them to.

Are you going to the bike maintaince clinic that Outdoor divas and SG are doing tomorrow night?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    Are you going to the bike maintaince clinic that Outdoor divas and SG are doing tomorrow night?
    Thought it was Wed? I was still debating honestly. I don't need the maintenance advice but wouldn't mind getting more info on chick rides in the area. Were you planning on going?

Ah yes, the dreaded 36 on a bike that doesn't fit, no fun is it?

I had that experience after he convinced me I HAD to join the club last year (which was primarily road riding, but getting more mountain in this year!). Showed up to the first ride in February with my crappy old Giant OCR3 which had never been fitted to me and weighs something like 26 pounds and is a Sora level triple with only 8 rear cogs. Yea, you see where THIS one is going.

Chris pushed me, miserable, through most of that ride. ALL the way out to Lyons, ALL the way back in, refusing to let me quit and not saying a word (except those of encouragement) until finally I croaked (somewhere between gasps for air) "I don't think this bike is going to cut it" and the answer was "well I have one waiting on you to try out if you want". Which I of course did. Which is how I somehow ended up buying 2 bikes within 6 months (less?). And, O, what a difference 12 less pounds and proper gearing will make!

Now he has convinced me I need to try cyclocross so I can race and train with the club in the fall too. Thus the custom bike. Cunning little devil he is! But it's definitely a good friend saying "but this is AMAZING and you should try it" not some money hungry shop owner talking, which is what I love about SG. Chris drove me to his house so I could check out KC's Spot cross bike just to show me how sweet it was before I made my mind up. Yea, THAT's never going to happen somewhere else!

Thought it was Wed? I was still debating honestly. I don't need the maintenance advice but wouldn't mind getting more info on chick rides in the area. Were you planning on going?

Ah yes, the dreaded 36 on a bike that doesn't fit, no fun is it?

I had that experience after he convinced me I HAD to join the club last year (which was primarily road riding, but getting more mountain in this year!). Showed up to the first ride in February with my crappy old Giant OCR3 which had never been fitted to me and weighs something like 26 pounds and is a Sora level triple with only 8 rear cogs. Yea, you see where THIS one is going.

Chris pushed me, miserable, through most of that ride. ALL the way out to Lyons, ALL the way back in, refusing to let me quit and not saying a word (except those of encouragement) until finally I croaked (somewhere between gasps for air) "I don't think this bike is going to cut it" and the answer was "well I have one waiting on you to try out if you want". Which I of course did. Which is how I somehow ended up buying 2 bikes within 6 months (less?). And, O, what a difference 12 less pounds and proper gearing will make!

Now he has convinced me I need to try cyclocross so I can race and train with the club in the fall too. Thus the custom bike. Cunning little devil he is! But it's definitely a good friend saying "but this is AMAZING and you should try it" not some money hungry shop owner talking, which is what I love about SG. Chris drove me to his house so I could check out KC's Spot cross bike just to show me how sweet it was before I made my mind up. Yea, THAT's never going to happen somewhere else!
    Oops, I meant Wed. I keep thinking today is Tuesday. I'd love to go but I'm in Silverthorne for the week. It's still ski season. Divas needs to do a clinic at the Denver store for us Denverites in late April or May.

Yep, sound's like Chris and I hate to say he's right! I'm glad he didn't invite me to join the club, especially for cross, he knows I wouldn't be happy on anything but a Serotta Cross.

Chris sets such a high standard it's hard to go to any other LBS.

Chris sets such a high standard it's hard to go to any other LBS.
    I know! I'm already worried about how much I'm going to spend in plane tickets and/or gas if I ever move away from here! I don't think I could bear going anywhere else!

And it sounds like there's a reasonable likelihood of Divas/SG doing this again. Seems they are up to 30 reservations already; maybe the next one will be in Denver.

I know! I'm already worried about how much I'm going to spend in plane tickets and/or gas if I ever move away from here! I don't think I could bear going anywhere else!

And it sounds like there's a reasonable likelihood of Divas/SG doing this again. Seems they are up to 30 reservations already; maybe the next one will be in Denver.
    Wow, good for them. I think Divas/SG are a good match. Sorry I can't be there.

I hear you, it seems silly to drive to Boulder when there are shops here. I moved to the wrong town, Divas and SG are my favorite shops.

Wow, good for them. I think Divas/SG are a good match. Sorry I can't be there.

I hear you, it seems silly to drive to Boulder when there are shops here. I moved to the wrong town, Divas and SG are my favorite shops.
    Not silly at all!!! It's quite possible I'll have to move to Cali if I stay in this field and I'm already contemplating the two possible outcomes. 1) I fly to CO every time I need a bike shop (and try to consolidate needs) 2) find a new field and stay here!

Yes, stay in a town because of the bike shop, LOL!

Not silly at all!!! It's quite possible I'll have to move to Cali if I stay in this field and I'm already contemplating the two possible outcomes. 1) I fly to CO every time I need a bike shop (and try to consolidate needs) 2) find a new field and stay here!

Yes, stay in a town because of the bike shop, LOL!
    But, if you were here in Boulder you'd probably have 3 new bikes in 2 years like me too!!!!

It's hazardous to your paycheck!

That's my problem, I don't have a paycheck, I'm retired. And I also spend way too much at Divas on ski gear.

Yikes, have to leave this wonderful state and SG? How awful!

Yikes, have to leave this wonderful state and SG? How awful!
    I know!!! I've got 3 years to figure it out though. (maybe Chris will give me a job, LOL)

Maybe he'll expand like Divas did and open a shop in Denver. You could be his manager.

OK - I'm a guy whose wife uses a 650c bike and wanted some decent tires for doing a bit of cx and winter commuting. You all have found out that no one makes them. So...I converted some 700c to 650c. It's not hard but takes some patience.

Here's how to do it. Not sure if this will take multiple posts or not.

Find some not too knobby cross tires like Specialized Speedmax. Too lumpy and the tire won't clear the brake stays.

Tools and stuff needed are scissors, Dremel type rotary tool (get one at Harbor Freight sometimes for free). Hot glue and gun, Metric box nut with tangs for #3 metric stainless steel screw. Barge (or equal) rubber cement. Some fabric - I used some from a nylon grocery bag. Phillips screw driver. Model saw or maybe Xacto blade. I like the model saw because I won't likely cut myself with it. A power drill and a 7/64 drill bit. See photos 1 - 4. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-4a.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	17868

So - pick a tire and cut it in half. Use the Dremel to cut the wire bead - both sides - and use the scissors for the rest. See photo 5 - 7. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-7a.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	17869

Take a 650c rim and slide the cut tire onto it. Overlap the tire ends and slide them together ALL the way so that the bead is inside the rim. Mark the point where the inner tire end entered into the outer end. Photos 8 and 9. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-9a.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	17870

Remove the tire and cut the inner tire's bead again at that point (both sides, of course) with the Dremel. Trim off the bead with the scissors. Photos 10 - 12 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-12a.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	17871

Cut off all but around two inches of the soon to be denuded bumps tire section. Trim the bumps off the inside tube (the section without the bead now) using the model saw or Xacto or whatever you want. You only need to trim the bumps from a couple of inches. You could get away without trimming anything but it makes for a better fit. Then, if you are a bit of a perfectionist, flatten out the remaining bits with the Dremel. Photos 13 - 17 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13-17a.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	17872

See next post for part two