Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ran a little over 4.5 today and it felt like 8 I suspect my shoes are getting old so I bought a new pair this evening. I'm starting to get achilles issues again so I'm taking tomorrow off. Tough run day.

I did a 2-mile run/walk with my dog today. She's building up mileage on the run/walks. My usual plan is for the run/walk to be an "easy run" but the dog wants to go, go, GO! So the "run" sections end up being more like speedwork. We did walk the last 1/4 mile because she was worn out. It was warm today - in the 70's. I think that took it out of her since it hadn't been that warm yet this year. I haven't been building up the long runs on the weekends like I'd planned to, but I might end up with a new PR in the 2-mile thanks to the dog!

6 miles on the dreadmill tonight... good run for me.

Started doing ice massages on my achilles and it feels better today but I think I will be taking a couple of days off. The PT-BF says to do them 2 - 3X per day, I'm gearing up for the second one now. Bought new running shoes last night, can't wait to try em out! Alas that will have to wait for a little bit.

4.3 hilly ones today for me. In the Brooks - I haven't worn the VFFs since the sprain.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I think once you have done a couple of marathons you know what your body needs, but there is a HUGE mental victory of KNOWING you can make the distance. Even if the benefits are only psychological, positive thinking is HUGE during a long race.
    I completely agree with this. I ran 13 miles twice in training before my half marathon. I really helped to KNOW that I was capable of it. It's the same reason I pre-ran the big hill on the Shamrock course. Knowing that I was perfectly capable of running a several-mile-long hill was a huge confidence builder.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Got in 9.3 miles this morning. HR was a little high, but I'm fighting off a head cold. Trying to stay healthy, as I have a 10K race coming up this Sunday!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Just did 200 meter speed work.
    I'm in pain.

My longest run before my half marathon this weekend has been slightly over 12 miles. Last weekend I found the hilliest course I could and I felt amazing after 8 hilly miles. I am completely relaxed and excited about the run, I really think my training has been great. The bluebonnets are popping and the course should be gorgeous with wildflowers and central Texas' lost pines.

I have been running slow so I am conflicted on the pace group to get in. When I am hydrated and rested I think 10-10:30 is spot on (way down from my 8:30 days) but I don't want to push too hard. I haven't done much training at high intensity for long runs, we were told to keep the long runs at an easier pace. Actually I have never even used a pacer, so I am confused about how I will like that anyway.

I am craving fried food like a mad woman, I have been avoiding. I am not a chocolate girl, but fried food is my vice. 1 day and 20 hours to go!!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Today was my last "real" run before Sunday's half-- 6 miles, at a wind-slowed 9:25/mile. Friday I'm resting (but if the weather's nice, maybe a gentle bike ride) and Sat. is going to be a gentle 3 or 4 miles. I'm so excited!

My primary goal for the race is to finish. It should be under 2:15, barring some disaster; under 2:10 is a reasonable time to work towards; under 2:05 would be possible but unlikely. We'll see... My biggest worry is that I'll go out too fast, then run out of gas late in the race.

It's the first time for this half, and it sounds like some logistics problems are in the offing. They had way more folks register than expected, and finally had to cut it off at 2500 (that includes the 5k). Sounds like parking is going to be a major problem-- the organizers are asking everyone to carpool. Hopefully folks will keep a good sense of humor, while stuck in a pre-dawn traffic jam on a little country road...

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    35-minute trail run today. It felt good (despite the fact that I have major cramps today). Tomorrow sounds like an icky day so it will probably be an indoor track run at the Y after work.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Mile repeats x 3. I haven't been doing much speedwork lately and it shows. Ugh.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Good luck on your HM's Aggie and SKHill. Give us a report afterward and I hope you get some good ole greasy fried chicken and french fries when you are done, Aggie.

It's been raining buckets all day. Did 5 very hot miles on the treadmill at the gym.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    My longest run before my half marathon this weekend has been slightly over 12 miles. Last weekend I found the hilliest course I could and I felt amazing after 8 hilly miles. I am completely relaxed and excited about the run, I really think my training has been great. The bluebonnets are popping and the course should be gorgeous with wildflowers and central Texas' lost pines.

I have been running slow so I am conflicted on the pace group to get in. When I am hydrated and rested I think 10-10:30 is spot on (way down from my 8:30 days) but I don't want to push too hard. I haven't done much training at high intensity for long runs, we were told to keep the long runs at an easier pace. Actually I have never even used a pacer, so I am confused about how I will like that anyway.

I am craving fried food like a mad woman, I have been avoiding. I am not a chocolate girl, but fried food is my vice. 1 day and 20 hours to go!!
    I ran with a pacer this last marathon and I liked it more than I expected. It gave me something to hang on to as I ran. That said, I preferred to walk aid stations and the pace group did not, so I had to catch up after the aid station if I wanted to stick with it (or get slightly ahead and let the pace group catch me). They also ran a pretty consistent pace up and down hills, while I preferred to go faster downhill and slower uphill. So, I'd say to stick with it for a little while if you want to try it, but do not be afraid to let them go - it doesn't mean you won't hit your target time range, it just means you might hit it differently. It's not like there's a 10:13 pace group, OR you might hit your stride later in the race and catch back up/pass them.

I missed my run on Wednesday due to travel, so I did both a bike and a run today. The bike was 6x60s intervals, and the run was 8x60s 8% hill repeats, so my glutes are crying a little bit. I did not run as fast as I usually do, but with the time change and eating on a weird schedule (not to mention the stupid treadmill) I just did whatever felt right. Surprisingly I didn't have heavy legs after biking, I just felt under-fueled. Good, because my brick workouts start soon!

Good luck this weekend to both of you racing! Looking forward to your reports.

Having a bit of running withdrawal, but I've found a walking routine on the treadmill that works for me on days I don't ride. We've had 2-3 nasty rainy days in a row when even I won't walk outside.
    Basically, I am doing 2-3 hill intervals, at a 4-6% grade at 4.2 mph, for 10-20 minutes, interspersed with flat walking. When the 10 or 20 minutes is over, I alternate with the 3 sets of functional weight training on the ball, from the cyclo-core program.
    So, I get close to an hour, between warming up for 5-10, 3 sets of the weight/body work, and 2-3 sets of the hill walks. If I am short on time, I can cut out one or more parts. I'm noticing that this is keeping the weight off more than riding... just doing this 2 days a week.