Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: P90x

P90x

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm planning to start using the P90X workouts tomorrow. I would love to hear from you if you have used them. I know they will be tough - but I'm ready to do some serious workouts! Can I count on any of you to help keep me accountable and stick to it?

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Nothing to offer here since I've never tried it before.

Besides cycling, have you ever engaged in other types of (strenous) exercise/sports on a regular basis?

Are you looking to lose alot more weight, gain greater strength/flexibility, etc.? Something must have convinced you that you needed P90X.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My husband and I did the workouts as an adjunct to our other stuff we do. I never did 90 days in a row!! so I am probably not the one you want to talk to..
    I found I did get stronger and it did force me to do some workouts that I otherwise would have avoided...overall I really liked the program and I am sure I will pick it up again -right now I tend to just do the "core synergy" as it covers all the major muscle groups in one session.
    Good Luck
    (and there is no shame in taking a day in between when you are first starting- depending on your fitness level when you start- you may find it a bit overwhelming- I know I did and I started out thinking I was reasonably fit!!)
    The cure for anything is salt water;
    sweat, tears or the sea

Isak Dinesen

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Besides cycling, have you ever engaged in other types of (strenous) exercise/sports on a regular basis?

Are you looking to lose alot more weight, gain greater strength/flexibility, etc.? Something must have convinced you that you needed P90X.
    I'd like to lose some weight and get back in shape after not being able to ride for a while due to: busy holidays, winter weather, hand surgery, and helping with a new grandbaby. What conviced me? P90X looks like a good scheduled plan. I think that's what I need right now to get me back into my rountine of exercise.

I just started the P90X system about 3 weeks ago. There is no way that I can follow along to all the exercises at my current fitness level so I modify the exercises to suit my needs and ability. They show you how to do a bit of that in the dvds but some of my modifications come from having taken fitness classes in the past with an instructor. I also take a day or two off here and there as I need it or if there are other activities that I want to do instead of the dvds.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Lakerider - I am starting tomorrow, too. Core Synergenics (sp). I am going to do the lean program.

Let's check in here with eachother. Which program are you starting?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie13.1 View Post
    Lakerider - I am starting tomorrow, too. Core Synergenics (sp). I am going to do the lean program.

Let's check in here with eachother. Which program are you starting?
    I'm borrowing it from my neice tomorrow, so I don't know much about it yet.

p90x will kick your butt, but Tony Horton has an incredible amount of energy which will help you get through it. I don't do it in the schedule that they prescribe, but I have in the past. When I did I couldn't do any other activities because it is so physically demanding. Now I only do the strength training and yoga during the week mixed in with swimming, and cycling, and running. I figure I'm getting plenty of cardio through my endurance training. Every once in a while I'll throw in the plyo workout. My advice is to just push yourself, you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by rachelroo View Post
    My advice is to just push yourself, you can do it!
    Thanks! I'm anxious to get started.

I did my first round of P90X Classic last year. I followed the program to the letter, lifting 8-10 reps at max weight and maxing out on pull-ups and push-ups. For pull-ups, I used the Crossfit bands (using the pull-up bar, looped the band around the bar and then stepped into the band and did the pull-ups that way, with knees or feet in the band – started with the red band which takes a lot more of your body weight away, and then progressed to the green band, which takes less, and was eventually able to do 4 unassisted chin-ups by the end of the round). [Actually, I need to correct myself and say I didn’t follow it to the letter because I ended up substituting Bryan Kest’s Power Yoga II for the Yoga dvd, and the Tae Bo Ultimate Lower Body workout for the Kenpo dvd. Kenpo was a joke, in my opinion. Plyo is okay, but I needed to do jumping jacks in between each move in order to keep my heart rate up.]

For me, my goal was to gain muscle and strength and I definitely succeeded. Before P90X I wore long sleeves, even in 100 degree weather because I was so embarrassed of my stick-figure arms. About two months in to the program and I wore short sleeves for the first time, and when I ran into my old physical therapist, he commented on how I looked good – like I’d put on some “healthy” weight. My husband liked the change as well, although he says he won’t REALLY be impressed until I’m strong enough to mow the lawn (ssssshhhhh . . . don’t tell him I am; I just don’t want to do it!). I didn’t weigh myself, but I’d guess I gained at least 5 pounds of muscle and got a six-pack in the process (big deal, since I am way past midriff baring age!). My clothes fit better and I just felt stronger all over.

I attempted running and cycling a handful of times during the round, but quickly realized the two do NOT mix! You really need to determine your goals and focus on those, otherwise you are not going to EXCEL at any of them. If you’re doing the X workouts correctly, you are giving it your all and burning out your muscles with each workout. If you are used to endurance sports, DO NOT expect to get right back out there and have the cardiovascular fitness you had before doing P90X. It is not designed for cardio fitness. It is designed for gaining muscle strength.

What else? Keep in mind that the three phases of the nutrition guide are just that – a guide. They are designed to show you what your body needs in terms protein/carbs/fat ratios. The first phase is absolutely ridiculous in the amount of protein required – something like 50% protein, which is serious overload, and limits you to something like two carbs a day. Basically, you’re supposed to do this until you start to feel depleted, which for me took just a few days. Don’t EVEN attempt to cycle with a group while eating like this unless you want to get dropped like a rock. For me, the real results came when I got back to eating a more normal 20% protein, 60% carbs, 20% fat – approximately 5-7g of carbs/kg of bodyweight per day (plus an extra 1-1.5g/lb/hr. of endurance exercise); and approximately 1.4-1.7g/kg/day of protein works well for me. The biggest thing for me, was that I finally made myself accountable regarding portion sizes. Once I started really tracking my intake, and weighing and measuring my portions, I could not believe how much I had been overestimating (undereating) my food! Building muscle takes adequate fuel and I had really been underfueling.

After that round of the X I went back to marathon training and cycling. And then life got in the way – we moved, I got really sick for an extended period, etc. I decided to start another round of the X last month (I’m on day 43 now). This time I am trying it differently: doing all the scheduled weight workouts (minus legs) and running or cycling on the in-between days (no plyo, kenpo, etc., although I am doing yoga once or twice a week). I’m regaining my strength much quicker this time (can lift more and do more push-ups/pull-ups already than what it took to the end of the whole 3 months last time), BUT my running and cycling are suffering. Basically, it is all I can do to maintain a base. I’m certainly not training for anything. That will have to wait ‘til I’m done with the X again.

I do need to figure something out so that I can combine the two – some kind of P90X maintenance program, rather than building program.

Anyway, let me know if you have any specific questions. I think you’ll find the best support at forums.teambeachbody.com.

Here are my start/end stats from the first round:

The first numbers are for Day 1 and the numbers after the forward slash / are for the last day. The number after “1” is for the first set and the number after “2” is for the second set. For the first week of pull-ups I didn’t record my numbers (who knows why???), but I did record that all of them were done with the assistance of the chair. For the last day’s pull-up/chin-up numbers, negatives means no assistance, knees means with my knees in the green band (the band is choke-looped around the pull-up bar and I hang from the bar and place either my knees or my feet in the hanging loop of the band. This takes some of my body weight off -- the green band takes the least amount of bodyweight off -- I started with the red band and progressed to the green). For push-ups – w/bars means with the push-up bars, which makes the push-ups harder/deeper since it adds more distance to go down. I do as many as possible on my toes, and then try to eke out some more on my knees until I just can’t do no mo’!

Standard Push-Ups:
    1 - 25 (toes)/40 (toes w/bars) plus 15 (knees w/bars)
    2 - 10 (toes)/30 (toes no bars) plus 15 (knees no bars)

Wide Front Pull-Ups:
    1 - ??? (w/chair)/8 negatives plus 7 knees plus 10 feet
    2 - ??? (w/chair)/8 negatives plus 8 knees plus 12 feet

Military Push-Ups:
    1 - 6 (toes)/20 (toes w/bars) plus 12 (knees w/bars)
    2 - 3 (knees)/15 (toes no bars) plus 10 (knees no bars)

Reverse Grip Chin-Ups:
    1 - ??? (w/chair)/2 unassisted plus 10 negatives plus 8 knees plus 8 feet
    2 - ??? (w/chair)/1 unassisted plus 9 negatives plus 8 knees plus 12 feet

Wide Fly Push-Ups:
    1 - 12 (toes)/30 (toes w/bars) plus 18 (knees w/bars)
    2 - 3 (toes)/25 (toes no bars) plus 15 (knees no bars)

Closed Grip Overhand Pull-Ups:
    1 - ??? (w/chair)/8 negatives plus 4 knees plus 8 feet
    2 - ??? (w/chair)/8 negatives plus 5 knees plus 8 feet

Decline Push-Ups:
    1 - 8 (no bars)/30 (w/bars)
    2 - ZERO/15 (w/bars)

Heavy Pants:
    1 - 15 reps at 10 pounds/10 reps at 30 pounds
    2 - same/same

Diamond Push-Ups:
    1 - 5 (knees)/20 (toes) plus 15 (knees)
    2 - 1 (knees)/15 (toes) plus 10 (knees)

Lawnmowers:
    1 - 15 reps at 10 pounds/15 reps at 30 pounds
    2 - Same/Same

Dive Bomber Push-Ups:
    1 - 5 halves (Maren-style)/8 full
    2 - Same/6 full and one half

Back Flys:
    1 - 15 reps at 10 pounds/15 reps at 20 pounds
    2 - Same/12 reps at 25#

P90X is a great program if you want to build muscle and strength. It's tough and will take a lot out of you, but if you dedicate to it, you will see results.

Now, for losing weight and getting fit - well, it may or may not be the program for you. Some people do very well with heavy weight training - me I get absolutely ravenous and end up eating to much. Some people get hungry with cardio, some with weight lifting - depends on how you react.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!