Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Race Report: Mercer Island Half-Marathon

To disable ads, please log-in.

PIGTAIL!!!

I've never been one before! I feel so... honored.

"I'd like to thank the academy, my publicist, my personal trainer, and all the little people who made this possible." "You passed me! You really, really passed me!"

Trek420 and I did the whole pre-race expo thing yesterday and only spent $5 for stickers from One More Mile and $5 for memorial flags to put in the star for my dad who died of colon cancer. The Mercer Island Half-Marathon is a big colon cancer event. There is no topic too delicate for this expo!

This morning we got up at 5:00 a.m. to prep for the race by hitting the snooze alarm a few times. Great warm up activity, I highly recommend practicing it several times before the big day.

I ate my customary HUGE breakfast and she ate her dainty bowl of oatmeal. Piled our stuff into the car and roared off to the island shrieking "do you have the map?" "no, I thought you had the map!" "which exit do we take?" "I don't know! Watch out for that car!" Arrived in plenty of time, got coffee, etc.

Race started for the walkers at 7:30. We were passed by the kids. Passed by the old ladies, passed by the two women hula-hooping the whole course. Yes! Finally we obtained the coveted spot of Pigtail, and we defied all challengers! We held that spot for mile after mile! It looked close when the wounded runners started trying to usurp us, but we held strong!

By the time we got near the finish line the course had closed, the course marshals and signs had all disappeared in a puff of smoke, and we were left asking bystanders and innocent folks just trying to walk their dogs for directions. As I got near the finish line the large inflatable FINISH arch was collapsing and being packed into big boxes, the music system was packing up, the post-race food was gone and packed up, and there was no-one to take our timing chips but a nice fellow who was helping direct traffic out of a parking lot.

Poor Trek has a massive ugly blister on one foot. I mean, it's waaaaay gross. The size of a half dollar. She's hurting. Actually, she's asleep on the couch moaning, so I assume she's still hurting.

I'm peachy. Ready to do another one in a couple months. Let's go!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm alive! I felt fine at first. Slow, that's always true of me but strong and fine. Since I've never done a half marathon before my plan if I had one was find my happy pace and just motor on. That worked well on the rolling course then about mile 8-9 the injured toe kicked in, then the blister ... it was all downhill from there. Knott kept my spirits up, told jokes "what's the difference between a terrorist and a physical theripist? you can negotiate with a terrorist", sang, danced a bit. It was very exciting when the runners caught us, seeing the women in the front of the field. One blind woman running with a "lead" to a male runner was right up in the front pack.

Will I do another? Maybe Now that I've had an ibuprofin, and Kott's fixin' up steak smothered in onions with roasted potatoes with a nice gluten-free beer I'm thinking about it. I have to solve some shoe/sock/insole issues. I need just a little more friction. I thought the socks I got at Fleet Feet in Santa Rosa were perfect for my boo boo toe, more cushion and less "slippery" than cycling socks. Might have to scuff up the insole, we'll see.

I'm sure if I had not lost weight recently (thanks TE weight loss thread) I would not have been able to do this at all. Much less stress on the joints. So the goal is keep that trend going.
    Last edited by Trek420; 03-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

This is what I was singing (trying to sing) and dancing to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8gRuDdh06c

The over-all effect was rather amusing...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Nice work on holding that coveted position on your half! Btw- my DH is a physio..loved the terrorist/PT joke.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Loved the race reports! and I'm be-bopping to Galactic right now.
    thanks!
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Good job you two!

Knott, glad you had fun - Trek, did you have fun? hope so - and hope your foot heals up quick!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Trek, did you have fun? hope so - and hope your foot heals up quick!
    The last 3 miles were not fun. But I'm glad I did it. This is my first "foot event". I think I know what to do to make it better next time. And now that I'm having mango mochi it's all good.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

mmmmmmmm mochi!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

mango mochi with a chiffonade of local organic free range ibuprofen
    Last edited by Trek420; 03-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Good job! Did you happen to see women wearing "West Seattle Runner" Shirts? My sister and her husband are opening a running specific store in West Seattle in the next couple of months. It will be the first of it's kind there. Today was the debut of those shirts at this event. Here's the link to the store's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=306441942504

They are also sponsors of the upcoming West Seattle 5K!

-Jessica
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

Knott that was a funny race report! Congratulations on finishing with your coveted spot.

Trek- Glad you survived, sounds like your humor stuck through too.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Congrats, Knot and Trek on surviving your half marathon! And, being so brave as to consider another so quickly proves that you really do fit in here. Awesome race report.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I have to solve some shoe/sock/insole issues. I need just a little more friction. I thought the socks I got at Fleet Feet in Santa Rosa were perfect for my boo boo toe, more cushion and less "slippery" than cycling socks. Might have to scuff up the insole, we'll see.
    Double socks! Snug sock in lightweight wool or other wicking fiber innermost, cushiony sock over that. The socks rub against each other, not against your foot. Also make sure the shoe grips your heel and arch, but is boxy and loose around the toes -- no slippage at the heel, no sliding forward, but plenty of toe room. I'm pretty sure Fleetfeet did their bit on that, as far as they could see from your little walk around the store. Also, since that's something I learned from our mutual Mom half a century ago, I'm sure you already knew. Still, for other readers of this thread ...

Anyhoooo ... for finishing, for making it in spite of the foot issues, for hanging on to your position in spite of all contenders, and for the weight loss (will I recognize you at the airport Saturday?): CONGRATS!
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Knot and Trek, thanks for the amusing race report...........Trek, I hope the foot is better today.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Great work ladies! Great race report too!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/