Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone

iPhone

To disable ads, please log-in.

are there any iPhone users out there? I just got one a few weeks ago and am still having fun playing with my new toy.

So I was wondering if anyone uses an app for a GPS biking function instead of a bike computer?

Ellen

We have used the GPS app on DH's I Phone a few times when we were in my car (no GPS). It works pretty well. I could see using it for the bike.

I have an app called Trailguru on my iPhone. It's free, and you can upload your run/ride/hike/whathaveyou and track your activity.

I haven't used it on rides longer than two hours, but I imagine it could go through your battery pretty fast . . .

oh yeah....hadn't considered the battery issue. I guess I'll get a new battery for the bike computer after all. Thanks!

I've got a couple of apps like that, but don't use them much because the iPhone is such a battery hog when you have the GPS functions turned on. I use the Maps and Google Earth functions more, for when I wind up off course or when new roads don't exactly go where I thought they did, and I need to navigate my way back to civilization ;-)

I don't use my iPhone for cycling. I tried iMapMyRide but once the screen automatically shut off, it stopped recording. I just use my Garmin 305 and Ascent on my computer.

I really like runkeeper, which now has a whole bunch of other options (walk, ride...). I have the free version and like it so much I've been thinking of paying for the expanded version just to support them.
    If you blank the screen yourself it saves a lot of battery and doesnt' time out. If you use another ap, or answer the telephone, it shuts runkeeper off - the only bug as far as I'm concerned.
    It also includes a webpage with mapping and more data about your run/ride on it.

http://runkeeper.com/
    Last edited by TsPoet; 03-18-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I've got a new iphone (only had it for 5 days) which I am still having a lot of fun in the playing with everything stage (helped by a $50 itunes voucher I got for Christmas and hadn't used, so I'm pretty relaxed about a bit of playing with moderately priced paid apps as well as the free ones).

I downloaded MotionX-GPS (NZ$4.19 - will be cheaper in $U.S. and there is a 'lite' version which is free) and used it on my ride today. First thing is - yes it is a battery hog. Battery went from 90% to 55% on a two hour ride (yes I have a battery monitoring app as well).

Pretty easy to use though, found the satellite much quicker than my old Garmin 205. I had it in my jersey pocket so I didn't use it for monitoring as I was going (I've got a computer on my bike). I emailed the track to myself (from the iphone) and manually added it to my Garmin connect account. The track was accurate when superimposed on google maps and all features including player worked.

I might give the free version of iMaymyRide a go tomorrow (again there is a free lite version and a fuller version)

I'd definitely recommend that any cyclist with an iphone have a go with the (possibly the free versions of) some GPS apps. However, my assessment would be that the battery issue makes it not great for using as your main cycle computer. I'd also want my phone so wrapped up in the rain that it might affect the GPS signal). But if you just occassionally want to have a play with GPS the apps look pretty good.

my iPhone rocks. I was not a fan of them when they came out, but then I got sucked in... LOL!!

Granted, I probably don't use it quite to it's full capability, but what I do get out of it is awesome... music, phone, internet, GPS, note taking, email, games, news, the list goes on and on. I absolutely love it.

i use the imapmyride app and love it. i always make sure phone is fully charged before i leave and i never have time to be away for more than 5 hours. the battery has never ran out on me. i mostly use my iphone for facebook and email and web surfing though. every once in a while i find a game i like but then they get old.

For the imapmyride do you use the free version or the $5 version?

thanks!

One possibility that I've seen advertised to address the power issue is to use the BioLogic Ree Charge system with a dynamo hub. It allows you to recharge your iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RFlznzmTE

They also produce a nice looking bike mount case as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJg_VzOBVN0

I've never used either of these products, but they certainly look nice.

I have used both versions of imapmyride with no issue. Right now I use the non free one. You can't put the phone to sleep but it blacks the screen out to use less battery and I always set the brightness to the lowest setting when I use it.

My two favourite apps for cycling are Cyclemeter and Cycling Log. The first one is a gps app similar to map my ride etc but it will work with the screen locked, and I've been pretty happy with it. I also use Cycling Log a lot, it's a calendar app to track dates you ride. That feature's actually in Cyclemeter too now, but I had Cycling Log first Both great apps and neither is expensive

thanks woohoo, I just downloaded both of those apps. I'll check them out when I get around to riding again