Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pregnant!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just thought I'd post another update on fanatizzare & baby, because she mentioned biking with the baby in a trailer. Her mother of course completely wigged out! I explained that those trailers are so much safer than, say, putting a baby in a car and then driving on the interstate. Don't know if I helped much, probably not. I was just glad to hear that she's biking again.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Hey! Just found this thread kicking about. I am 11 weeks preg and still riding about 4 times/6hrs a week. I'm totally exhausted, but happy when i've gotten out! running a couple of times a week too.
    This is down from racing Elite level nationally and 15+ hours/week training. I actually completed a MTB marathon at 6 weeks (unknowing) and raced HARD for a podium. Cripies.
    Fingers crossed for good scans...
    Anyone else in this predicament?

Yes, I am in the same 'condition'... albeit a bit further ahead, at 22 weeks.

Good for you for still being able to ride that much! I was totally wiped out during my first trimester and hardly managed my commute to work (15 miles round trip)... then nothing at all for a few weeks. I'm back to riding once or twice a week, and walking a whole lot, but that's about it, sadly.

Enjoy! and keep listening to your body. Good luck!

ASammy1, whether you're still reading this or not, I am sorry and hope that you're well. I'll resurrect this string to say it's important to talk about riding after a pregnancy loss though understandably more uncomfortable to discuss. I've experienced several miscarriages in the past year and found cycling to be as therapeutic after the loss of pregnancy, as before or during, if not more so.

I rode through my first trimester once, and at the time found some good chatter online about riding while pregnant, and love this post for its encouragement and for specific advise on how to adjust your ride. Getting back in the saddle so to say after weeks off to heal a few times has helped me physically, mentally and emotionally and I'm so thankful that I'd found my love for cycling before this experience. I finished a 150 mile ride for MS this past weekend, and was so proud of myself (and relieved!) after anxiety over whether I was up to the task after time off training this summer. There's nothing like that feeling to get up and keep moving forward.

I hope and look forward to a chance to ride pregnant again, equipped with my new heart monitor for those hills that kick my butt! I think, as everyone has said here, that the most important thing is to listen to your body. Don't push yourself and don't feel guilty if you can't do what you'd like. It takes time, and riding is hard no matter what's going on with your body, so cut yourself some slack.

it actually depends on your pregnancy. you might want to ask your obgyne as women has differences in terms of pregnancy. some are delicate, some aren't.

How's it going!? Stumbled upon this again trawling through the forums (not really an avid poster :P ) and just posting to see if anyone else is preggo and riding still? Have had a bad run of illness (just head coldy thigs) and beginning to get quite fatigued again (nearing 30wks) but riding around 4 times a week still, but only 4-5hours and no running now. I kinda lost the desire to run when I could only manage 20min without a wee stop! Now I will walk, and often run a minute or two every five minutes, but it's not really running!

I'm so glad I found this thread! We're trying to get pregnant and the first question I asked the doc was how long I could keep riding while pregnant. She said to stop as soon as I found out and that I would be limited to only using my trainer. This seemed extreme to me.

She was only my doc for one visit since my regular OB was booked, so I think I'm going to ask my usual doc what he thinks. (Is that wrong-- to keep re-asking the question in different ways to different sources until I get the desired response? Ha!) I ride a hybrid, and I wouldn't be using clipless pedals, I generally only ride bike paths and avoid busy streets, and I'm riding for fun and not racing (10-20 mph).... So, I feel like my risks are under control. I don't want to stop living when I get pregnant. At the same time, I don't want to do anything to endanger the baby.

I'm encouraged to read about folks that have continued riding well into their pregnancies. Did most people find that their doctors were encouraging of riding, or were they like the lady that I went to that gasped at the thought of being on a bike while a bun is in the oven? Any additional up-to-date comments are appreciated!

PS-- Any tips on where to find inexpensive maternity cycling clothes? I'm going to check out REI for larger sizes generally.

I'm surprised at your dr, I think the general consensus these days is stay active, keep doing anything you're proficient at but don't take up new sports, don't exhaust yourself and don't overheat. I rode my bike virtually up to delivery as it was more comfortable than walking, and rock climbed 7 months pregnant, gently, on a top-rope.

Be careful with your joints and have fun
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

A friend of mine had too much movement in her hips and had to watch what she did, but I think in most cases it's a matter of what you normally do and listening to your body. I WOULD ask your normal doctor because obviously you trust them much more. Arguably it is kind of like asking someone until you get the right answer but at least you could have the conversation with your normal doctor and feel more comfortable asking questions (like "why?").

TE has a few Sheila Moon jerseys that are specifically maternity sized:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/...cialty_02.html

I thought Terry had maternity shorts, but I can't seem to find them on their site.

They aren't necessarily inexpensive, though. Larger sizes might work, there's a lot of plus sized cycling gear out there, too (some of which is on sale):

http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/...cialty_03.html

Sierra Trading Post might have some plus/larger sized cycling gear that's relatively inexpensive. REI/REI outlet are good ideas too.

One of the things I like about forums is that you can ask one question and you get a variety of answers, from "I don't know" to snarky comments to jokes to bare bones "yes" or "no" to informed answers. The best answers are those that provide information. Then you can make up your own mind which may or may not agree with the conclusion the responder came to.

I treat doctors the same way. Their job is to provide me with information, not answers. I take their information and come to my own decision.

Some doctors respond to this approach more favorably than others. Residents and new doctors respond the best. They are used to being beat down and questioned. They like me because I'm not trying to convince them of anything, I just want information.

This is my long winded way of saying that I find it not only acceptable, but recommended, to seek information from multiple doctors, especially when one doctor gives you an answer that doesn't seem right. At the very least I'd want to know why she thinks you shouldn't bike. Maybe she knew someone who lost a pregnancy due to a bad bike wreck and it left her scared. That doesn't mean the same thing would happen to you, an accomplished (I presume?) cyclist.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Thanks, all. I did ask my fill-in doc why she thinks I shouldn't ride at all from the moment the pregnancy begins, and she said it's for safety, it's a matter of balance, and I'll probably be too uncomfortable to want to do it anyway. I understand that at 8 1/2 months along, I'm probably not going to want to train for a century ride (heck, I don't do that now!), but I figured I'd still want to ride for at least the first half of my pregnancy. I ride 30-40 miles most of the time, and I try and get in at least one or two good rides a week. I can't imagine not doing that for 9 months. I'm guessing that Dr. Fill-In doesn't ride a bike and, while very kind, probably doesn't understand why I'd like to ride while I still can, instead of just switching my exercise regimen to maternity water ballet classes at the gym.

I figure that I'll call my friend's sister, who is an OB in a different state, and chat with her about it, and also ask my general doctor, who I know is a cyclist because he has pictures of himself riding in the office. Between gathering various opinions, I'll at least be able to get a better perspective on what other docs have to say about it.

Even when I was pg back in the dark ages, it was "do what you're used to doing, with common sense," unless you have some specific high risk issue. I did high impact aerobics until my 8th month with my first pregnancy and then I was happy to walk and swim. Same thing for my second pregnancy.
    The instructors at the gym thought I was (in their words) "eating too much pie," as my stomach started growing, but it wasn't quite clear I was pregnant .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Never been pregnant, but a good friend rode up until around 6 months.

Also, they don't have cycling specific clothes, but Born Fit has some cute maternity activewear.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by Lanterne Rouge View Post
    Thanks, all. I did ask my fill-in doc why she thinks I shouldn't ride at all from the moment the pregnancy begins, and she said it's for safety, it's a matter of balance, and I'll probably be too uncomfortable to want to do it anyway. I understand that at 8 1/2 months along, I'm probably not going to want to train for a century ride (heck, I don't do that now!), but I figured I'd still want to ride for at least the first half of my pregnancy. I ride 30-40 miles most of the time, and I try and get in at least one or two good rides a week. I can't imagine not doing that for 9 months. I'm guessing that Dr. Fill-In doesn't ride a bike and, while very kind, probably doesn't understand why I'd like to ride while I still can, instead of just switching my exercise regimen to maternity water ballet classes at the gym.

I figure that I'll call my friend's sister, who is an OB in a different state, and chat with her about it, and also ask my general doctor, who I know is a cyclist because he has pictures of himself riding in the office. Between gathering various opinions, I'll at least be able to get a better perspective on what other docs have to say about it.
    That sounds so...... Old fashioned, archaic, out of step with the times that it's almost scary. if it were me I'd definitely blow off the fill in doc.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Time to revive this thread!

I have a question (just one, so far) - I've noticed the last few times I've ridden that my wrists are a lot more sensitive than they used to be. Granted, I recently did a 200k, but I've done many long (100-plus mile) rides over the last few years and this was definitely qualitatively different. I've read that joint problems, especially carpal tunnel, are not uncommon in pregnancy. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or input about what I can do about this. Would some sort of wrist support (braces?) help? Changing the position of my hands, or getting some different bars (bullhorns?)

Thanks...and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions and experiences to share in the near future!
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"