Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Prague, Denmark-recommendations

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got any recommendations for areas to cycle and restaurants in Prague area or in Denmark?

Yes of course, I've found some stuff on bike routes in both areas. Would appreciate places to eat without breaking the budget too much and real experiences from any TE folks here.

Especially would like places for real Danish food. My partner has been to Copenhagen already for several days and did cycle around. Strangely he said it was alot harder to find restaurants serving Danish food.

My partner has adamantly told me he will not go anywhere in Europe to have sushi nor Chinese food. I would tend to agree.... So we will make sure we eat our fill of Pacific Rim dishes before vacationing.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-16-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

The restaurants in Prague are not that spectacular; I eat anything, but the "native" food was rather heavy and fried. There were a lot of great coffee houses/dessert places, though.
    The thing I liked the best about Prague were the free/very cheap concerts held a few times a week at various churches and synagogues. We went to 3 in the 3 days we had there, before our bike tour started. The art museum was good, too, as well as the Parliament, etc.
    I particularly liked the Jewish quarter; it's a piece of history that is really well preserved, from a sad time in history. One of the museums there had an exhibit of art work done by kids sent to one of the camps; that was emotional enough; next to the art work was a pile of suitcases, taken from the kids. One of the suitcases belonged to a child that lived on the same street as my former exchange student, who is from Berlin. That really hit home.
    Anyway, I loved Prague, despite the food. Great shops.

Yes, after looking at some of the sample restaurant menus online, traditional Czech food..

I half-joked that I would eat a big breakfast, with a small snack for lunch and have goulash soup for supper. I really would prefer not to eat especially Pacific Rim ethnic cuisine over in Europe..it's just crazy when the stuff in our home area is far better.

We look forward to Prague very much.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I *love* Prague. I didn't find it to be as bicycle friendly as some other European cities...I don't remember any bike lanes and it just didn't seem to me that cycling is as popular in E. Europe for general commuting as it is in W. Europe and Scandinavia. But there would be nice areas to cycle outside the city.

As for the city...just amazing architecture, music, shopping...I found the restaurants to be great but I would agree about the traditional Czech food restaurants not being my fave. Well, part of that is because I am a vegetarian... I would try to avoid the restaurants in the main square - Wenceslas square, or by the Charles bridge. Those are major tourist zones and you just won't get your money's worth. Try peeking down the quiet little side streets...there's lots to discover there!

True for the cycling. Our tour began in Czeky Krumlov and was mostly in very rural areas, crossing the border into Austria. It was cool to do that by bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    True for the cycling. Our tour began in Czeky Krumlov and was mostly in very rural areas, crossing the border into Austria. It was cool to do that by bike.
    That does sound very cool! I'm jealous! I have only come into Prague from the German side the direction of Dresden, which is stunning landscape. But I only ever go to Europe for work-related reasons. I really need to get over there for a cycling (or skiing ) vacation!

Some great info here! We are planning to squeeze in 1 day in Cesky Krumlov. Looks like a beautiful city but we might miss out on a Rennaissance annual festival that they have. (Five-petal rose festival) We probably take the train part way and bike, just so that we can spend more time in the city itself and then take late evening train back to Prague.

Interesting about the status of cycling infrastructure in Prague. Mick, you're very lucky to even get to travel overseas for work purposes! When was the last time you were there?

We are flying into Frankfurt and will be combining cycling and taking train to explore part of southwestern side of Germany. Go into Freiburg, Strasborg in France (there for 1 day), etc. He also has relatives near Karlsruhle.

Strangely maybe to some folks here, what might be a bone of contention is me accessing his laptop computer which will be less compared to him since he does have some work related and cycling projects/emails to handle while on the road. He is also attending a cycling conference in Copenhagen and definitely will need computer to make notes, etc.

Meanwhile I want to blog this trip. So am hoping some hotels will have guest computer Internet access. But maybe not except for 1-2 cities.

No, I don't have a laptop nor do I want to lug it around Europe on bike.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-17-2010 at 01:08 PM.

The last time I was in Prague was close to this time last year, about the first week of April. The weather was great!

I don't think you'll have a problem finding a computer, either at your hotel or one of the internet cafes. The hotel I always stay at in Prague is called the Hotel Pav (it's owned by Best Western now), and they do have some computers for guest use on their main floor. And an AWESOME breakfast included in the rate! The quarter it is located in is one of my faves in Prague too. But yeah, you're not going to find an abundance of bike lanes or even other cyclists in Prague like in Denmark or Germany.

Frankfurt is not my favorite German city...I find it kinda boring and too business-like, but I've heard great things about Freiburg though I've never been. Southern Germany is great in general. If you get to Munich I think you'll find it to be quite bike friendly.