Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Front wheel pull/alignment?

To disable ads, please log-in.

How does the expression go: the only silly question is the one not asked

I've noticed lately that my front wheel does not hang true when I have it in the workstand or when I pick up...which is a change from when it was new in March. It seems to swing automatically to the left. I have two thoughts, and I'd love some TE help in understanding what may be going on :

1) BF doesn't have a bike rack for his car (and I don't have a car), so when I transport my bike to his place, I remove front wheel and stick bike in back seat. In order to have it fit, I turn the front handle bar/post hard left. Has this impacted the frontend balance (or whatever it is called). And how would I remedy this?

2) I noticed a collection of squeeking in the front end when I ride. I've been able to attribute 80-90% of it to my shoes. The rest I can't pinpoint. Is it possible that my front post (where the handlebars attach to bike frame and downward) is in need of adjusting? And could this be causing the pull? Or do I just need to clean out my ears?

Thanks. I've read through old posts and will look into the maintenance books, as well as sign up for a class later this fall. But any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ladies,
    S

Hmm...could it just be the way you're putting it in the stand or holding it? Do you have a computer or anything on one side to add a little bit of extra weight? It seems sort of normal for the front to swing one way or the other.

You said you heard some noise...does the bike feel sloppy at all? If it's feeling sloppy, maybe your headset is loose. Did you check that? Here's a website that tells you how to check it....

http://www.caree.org/bike101headset.htm

I'm not a mechanic, just some thoughts. Good luck!

OT for a moment plz:

Yo Ionic?.....I thought you changed your ID?? what happened??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I didn't delete my cookies on my work computer! I just registered with a new name and didn't realize I was still logged in as Ionic at work~

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I do have a computer mounted on the left so I suppose it could be contributing. When I put the bike in the workstand I always tilt the bike nosedown a bit to prevent the front end swing.

I wondered about the headset but wasn't sure what to look or listen for. The website you provided helps a bunch. I will have to rely on the LBS though for repairs, if needed. I got a 5 second teach-in on headset maintenance when I got the bike, but do I remember?

I'll let you know if I learn any more!