Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrified

To disable ads, please log-in.

notsportygirl (soon to be renamed nowsportygirl) -

for sun/heat sensitivity, you have a few options. i take a medication that makes me sun sensitive - bright light makes me feel like i'm on FIRE! i wear a long sleeve wicking undershirt purchased in the men's section of a bike shop under my jersey. that keeps my skin happy.

as for the heat, make sure you know how to get a water bottle out of and into a cage so you can drink while you ride. that will make all the difference in the world for how you feel in the heat. also, make sure you have some form of wicking clothing to pull the sweat away from your body. a regular bike jersey would be my choice but i also have a few t-shirts that were designed for running/hiking that just look like shirts. wicking shirts really help, especially when it is humid out.

do you take your inhaler preventatively before biking? that used to help me a lot. these days i'm taking advair twice a day (it's a long term preventative/treatment drug) and it's like i don't even have asthma anymore. i didn't want to take an all the time drug because my symptoms are mild, but my doctor talked me into it. i'm so glad!

and you will absolutely make it 35 if you can make it 25. i went from 10-15 miles on a mountain bike to 30 on a road bike without any troubles. it sounds like your'e on the right track!

you can get "short reach" brake levers that mount on the tops of the bars, and some brakes adjust to be easier to squeeze for smaller hands. i'd ask at the bike shop about adjusting the current brakes. you probably can't add the short reach levers to your friend's bike.

so, when are you getting your own bike?

Great going not(ha!)sportygirl.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCycle
    for sun/heat sensitivity, you have a few options. i take a medication that makes me sun sensitive - bright light makes me feel like i'm on FIRE! i wear a long sleeve wicking undershirt purchased in the men's section of a bike shop under my jersey. that keeps my skin happy.
    Owie. I did four days snowboarding one time I was on doxycycline. I mean, in NZ your chances of getting a sunburn in the mountains is way high no matter how much sunscreen you use, but talk about a red face!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

I'm sure you will do great on your ride. As others have said, if you've been riding a single speed around town, having those extra gears will make a big difference.

Regarding the reach to the brake levers: I had a similar problem and found that just adding a little shim in the brake lever made a big difference. Ask your LBS if they can put one in, or you or your GTYAD (?) could add a little wedge on some double-sided tape. See this previous thread: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...highlight=shim

And have a ball!

my hands killed me for the looooooooooongest time when i started riding.. and even now.... they will hurt on occasion (i.e. the ride i just did saturday)...

can you check with a bike store about getting the spacers inserted into the levers to make the reach shorter?

notsosporty aka nowsosporty: you might have either your BF or your LBS look and see if there is a screw (or look yourself) on the back side of the brake that will allow you to adjust the brake levers in closer to your hands. Or the shims that they were talking about. All you need to do is bring the levers in closer and it should help the reach.

and Yipppeeee on your first long ride! goodonya hun!

muuuuahhhhhhaaahahaha...we've hooked another one ladies!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Well I registered for our local Margarita Ride. It's on September 10. Here are the options:

15-mile route to the lookout point across the bridge over the Missouri River (a majority of which is flat)
    35-mile loop through Meckling and around the bluff (relatively flat route)
    45-mile loop through Meckling and climbing out of the bluff bottom (a few hills)

Now, my ride is a Trek 7200 hybrid with a big cushy seat, that I'm not certain I care for. I tend to scoot toward the back of the seat.

I tend to ride 10-15 miles a couple days during the week with a 20 mile ride on the weekend. Yesterday I did 25. I started getting tired toward the end, so I'm not sure about the 35 mile option. But, I'd like to try it since there will be other people around and it won't really just be me. Yesterday I wore a pair of jogging shorts with the liner sewn in... that pair works up to 15 miles or so, but otherwise the shorts ride and dig in a bit and are all around uncomfortable. I should've worn my bicycle shorts, though they're unpadded.

I did have a soy protein drink before my ride and a granola bar, that was my breakfast. I was starting to get a little hungry, perhaps I should've had something along to snack on. I had 2 water bottles along, which was fine for 25 miles, but probably wouldn't be for 35. I rode 10 miles in 45 minutes, 15 in 1:06, 20 in 1:28 and 25 in 1:45-1:50 ish. I slacked off the last few miles.

I guess that I should find out if they'll have a water stop. I don't have the cash to buy a hydration pack.

Any advice? I'm feeling encouraged by your words of wisdom in this thread.

i think you needed more than a granola bar and protein drink for breakfast! at least.. if it were me... i know i would! i alway (ALWAYS) have oatmeal for breakfast cuz it "stays" with me longer! (made with choco soy milk and natural peanut butter).. it' my personal breakfast of champions!

Oh, P.S.-

I added handle bar extenders to my bike so that I have more arm positions. But, I'm thinking that the additional 10 miles could be quite the challenge. I have gloves, but they're not top of the line. They work for lower stretches... perhaps I should splurge on a new pair.

Dude. This one ride is gonna cost me more than the $20 registration fee.

Petrified's update...so drained sometimes

Yeah, I've spent a lot of money lately just getting enough of the right clothes to be comfortable for longer rides...but I just don't know what I'd do without those little pockets in the back of my shirt. I like not having to wear a backpack.

This is really fun, so far. I feel very sleek and fierce on my borrowed super- fast bike...a little like Laura Croft Tomb Raider (I haven't seen the movie, but for some reason that's the image that comes to mind). I don't know that I'll feel quite so fierce after my first fall, though...

About the hand/thumb joint pain...I went by my bike shop and they took a look at me on my bike and said that the handlebars are really much too large for me, and too far away. They pushed my seat closer, and gave me a shorter shank(?) for the handlebars, so that I don't have to stretch out so far. (anyone who lives in Brooklyn should check out the Bicycle Station on Vanderbilt...a husband and wife own the shop, and she's really strong and really into biking, too...she adjusted my bike and watched me ride past her to check my form and everything, and only charged me for the new part. No charge for labor...I thought that was pretty cool).

I have been trying to get my pace up on my shorter rides...not letting myself coast at all...because I figure it'll maybe help get me in better shape for the long ride, when I don't have the time to do a long training ride. I can do 3 miles in 13 minutes now (much faster than on my old clunker, of course), and not being a patient person, wonder why I can't whittle it down to 10 right away.

I'm a little worried that I wasn't able to get a long ride in this weekend, but I'm planning on a long excursion next weekend...my last one before the real ride! Now my boyfriend is trying to convince me that I should do the 55 instead of the 35. Yeah right! I'm not that crazy...yet. I'd much rather be successful at the shorter ride, and encouraged to try longer ones later, than miserable because I pushed myself too far, too fast.

I am having problems with getting really lethargic after rides of only 14 miles, or so. My muscles never hurt afterwards, but I have no energy at all. I had problems with foot-cramping once, and after reading some threads on here, decided to bring vitamin water with me that had electrolytes in it. I also bring a food bar with me and eat it half way. I didn't have any more foot problems, but again...I felt so, so drained, and had to cancel my plans for the evening, because I only had enough energy to veg in front of the TV. I even ate a good breakfast before the last one: a bowl of cereal, a hard boiled egg, and a banana. I have a feeling that I'm not eating soon enough after riding, maybe. I don't feel hungry, and don't eat for a few hours, and then I think I crash. I'm not sure, though. I feel like I'm drinking water non-stop afterwards, too, but am insatiably thirsty the rest of the day. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this athletic thing...It seems like you have to think about fueling yourself differently. This is especially challenging for me, since I've been eating relatively low-carb for a year now. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? What are the best kinds of foods to eat post-ride?

I've also realized that I have a frustrated racing instinct. I keep wanting to be able to pass people, to be really speedy, and am a little bummed, because I've read that you are at a big disadvantage when you're really small...and there are fewer who are smaller than me...Oh well. I am still pretty slow up hills, more because of my asthma than anything else...it's just a little distracting to feel your throat close up...I'm going to try to start taking my preventative asthma medicine to see if it can improve things for the "big ride". And maybe when I'm in better shape, that'll let up because it'll take more to make me exert myself.

Becoming Maybe-a-little-sporty...

Quote Originally Posted by notsportygirl
    I am having problems with getting really lethargic after rides of only 14 miles, or so. My muscles never hurt afterwards, but I have no energy at all. I had problems with foot-cramping once, and after reading some threads on here, decided to bring vitamin water with me that had electrolytes in it. I also bring a food bar with me and eat it half way. I didn't have any more foot problems, but again...I felt so, so drained, and had to cancel my plans for the evening, because I only had enough energy to veg in front of the TV. I even ate a good breakfast before the last one: a bowl of cereal, a hard boiled egg, and a banana. I have a feeling that I'm not eating soon enough after riding, maybe. I don't feel hungry, and don't eat for a few hours, and then I think I crash. I'm not sure, though. I feel like I'm drinking water non-stop afterwards, too, but am insatiably thirsty the rest of the day. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this athletic thing...It seems like you have to think about fueling yourself differently. This is especially challenging for me, since I've been eating relatively low-carb for a year now. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? What are the best kinds of foods to eat post-ride?

I've also realized that I have a frustrated racing instinct. I keep wanting to be able to pass people, to be really speedy, and am a little bummed, because I've read that you are at a big disadvantage when you're really small...and there are fewer who are smaller than me...Oh well. I am still pretty slow up hills, more because of my asthma than anything else...it's just a little distracting to feel your throat close up...I'm going to try to start taking my preventative asthma medicine to see if it can improve things for the "big ride". And maybe when I'm in better shape, that'll let up because it'll take more to make me exert myself.

Hey Maybe!

Two things: I used to have asthma problems too, but now I just use the puffer before I ride, and I no longer have a problem. Check with your doc, but I think it's better to prevent an attack than to suppress one that's started.

Other topic- post-ride fuel. I've always heard that you need to get some carbs in your system in the first 30-45 minutes after you stop exercising. If I don't do this, I'm a lethargic couch potato the rest of the day. I also found that if I don't include some protein with those carbs that I'll be ravenously hungry all day too. So, right after you ride, get some carbs with a bit of protein in ya. Half a PBJ sandwhich works very well for me.

Now my boyfriend is trying to convince me that I should do the 55 instead of the 35. Yeah right! I'm not that crazy...yet. I'd much rather be successful at the shorter ride, and encouraged to try longer ones later, than miserable because I pushed myself too far, too fast.
    Sounds like a good plan! Stick to the 35 and be happy at the end of it all!

Now, I am not sure about the asthma... and I am sure that will always be a road block for you... but your size... it NOT against you!

There is this lady who rides on some of the group rides I go on.... and I know she is under 5 feet tall. I think she rides a kids sized bike. But she is as FAST as the men... and she races as well. So... "it's not the size of the dog... but the size of the fight in the dog"! Not to mention, you have less to carry up those hills!

I have a feeling that I'm not eating soon enough after riding, maybe. I don't feel hungry, and don't eat for a few hours, and then I think I crash. I'm not sure, though. I feel like I'm drinking water non-stop afterwards, too, but am insatiably thirsty the rest of the day. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this athletic thing...It seems like you have to think about fueling yourself differently. This is especially challenging for me, since I've been eating relatively low-carb for a year now. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? What are the best kinds of foods to eat post-ride?
    They say you should eat or drink something with both carbs & protein within 30 minutes after the end of your ride. There are a lot of specialty sports drinks designed to give you the right post-ride nutrition. But you don't really need those, a glass of chocolate milk, a peanut butter sandwich or a turkey sandwich all give you the right things.

I am still pretty slow up hills, more because of my asthma than anything else...it's just a little distracting to feel your throat close up...I'm going to try to start taking my preventative asthma medicine to see if it can improve things for the "big ride". And maybe when I'm in better shape, that'll let up because it'll take more to make me exert myself.

I've got exercise induced asthma, too. About a year ago, my doctor put me on the preventative medication, Advair. I went to her when I started riding much more outside rather than doing spin classes or other indoor exercise. The pollutants/allergens in the outside air seemed to trigger attacks much more often. I've seen a big improvement. So, if you continue having problems with the asthma, talk to your doctor. Since you are making changes to your lifestyle, you may need to make changes in how you manage your asthma.
    2004 Colnago Chic - WTB Deva
    2008 Blue RC7 - WTB Deva
    2009 Colnago Master X-lite - WTB Deva

Good Point Ski: I didn't even think to mention that since it's so much a part of my life - I'm in Singulair for asthma. It's a maintenance medication and boy when I let the script run out - I can tell it within about 48 hrs. On the bad days: winter, high pollen count, humidity - I also use Albuterol 5-10 mins before I exercise to keep the airways open. That combination has worked for me now for close to 5 yrs? 6 yrs? I tried Advair but the steriods caused me to lose my voice and as a singer, I can't have that side effect, so the Singulair was less invasive and it isn't a steriod.

You might go to your doctor and see what course they can put you on that will help your breathing. It isn't the perfect solution, but you'll have good days where you feel like you're flying and they'll overshadow the bad days where that hill looks like Mt Everest and climbing it takes everything you've got!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Good luck this weekend, nowsportygirl!

FUEL FUEL FUEL!!!!

If you are wiping out for the rest of the day after a ride, then you aren't fueling enough before and during. You need a 100 gram carb load for about every 15-20 miles or per hour - whichever you meet. Thats an AVERAGE - some people need more, some less.

I discovered when I fueled better, I could go for a MUCH longer ride, and I wasn't wiped out afterwards. I used to come home and go to bed after 12 miles, now I go 35 miles and come home and do the rest of what I intended to do!

I know Gu and gel shots and whatnot might seem like overkill to some folks but they really made the difference for me. The bars were not available fast enough for my body to use when I needed them - they had to be digested first which made me nauseus. Gu's work great because they are instantly available and also have some longer lasting stuff in them too. I found that the chocolate flavor is like licking brownie batter off the spoon - not so bad!

And I would definately second the advair or at least singulair! Albuterol before exercise is a must for some asthmatics. The goal is to prevent even the symptoms of attacks before they occur so that you don't get the little gradual changes in your airways that add up over time to cause big irreversible problems later.
    Last edited by Technotart; 09-09-2005 at 06:14 AM.
    The space and time for what you WANT is being occupied by what you have settled for

"You say bark I say bite / You say shark I say hey man / Jaws was never my scene / And I don't like Star Wars"

BikeDFW - Dallas and Fort Worth Area Cycling Advocacy Organization