Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

titanium riggert `cross frame question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have an older titanium `cross frame I picked up on ebay.
    It has no fancy 's' curves on the stays or anything.
    It's completely unmarked except on the bottom bracket,
    where it reads (in stamped caps) "MADE IN USA" and "KATHY RIGGERT".
    no serial number.
    I understand Kathy was US national champion in 1991.
    Anyone have a clue who made the frame or what its history might be?
    Thanks so much for letting me pick your collective brains!
    Peace,
    Mitchell

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Oooo, sooo hot!

Found Kathy Riggert riding for Indy Fab in '00 at a UMass cyclocross race (she came in first).
    http://www.truesport.com/bike/1999/eccc.htm

Mitchell---can you post a photo? As a ti lover, it would be a treat to get a gander, especially at such a special bike.

From the link 7 posted, it appears that Kathy rode for IF. Your frame might be an IF!
    Last edited by Selkie; 03-11-2010 at 12:27 AM.

IF Bike?

Unfortunately not an IF.

I talked to a very nice gentleman in Summavuhl who said if there's no serial number, it's not an IF. And frankly, it's not pretty enough.
    I'll try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

The frame is too small for me. so if anyone is interested in it, let me know.

Here's some pictures of the frame:

I hope they uploaded. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	10913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	10914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stays.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	10915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanger.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	10916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headtube.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	10917  

ill ask

her if your still interested. she's the race doc at this weekends cyclocross races in providence ri. her husband is the director of my team so at some point I could ask him too. No matter what a cool find!

What size is it? I might be interested if right size/right price

I'm not sure whether my hunch is right or not, but thought that I would share. In the late 80's/early 90's many frame builders were leaving companies they worked for and started some of their own companies... back then many big companies didn't want to build with ti. (of course that changed soon after) At any rate, it looks like a Ti Smith frame, previously they were builders for Fat Chance and at the time Chris(owner) didn't want to build with ti. Eight of his frame builders left and started their own companies. Ti Smith was a Maine company, and made incredible frames.... very similar to Merlin back in the day.Anyway, he made frames and also made custom frames for many local New England people, but he also built for quite a few national teams and they would put their sponser decals on the bike... he would leave the frame plain.

I have a custom frame that they built for me in 1994, and although I have several other bikes that are newer and lighter... this is still my favorite and the one that I ride most of the time.

So whether my hunch is correct or not, it was interesting to read this post, see your photos and I'll look forward to hearing the outcome. Thanks for sharing!!

OOPS! I almost forgot, look at the dropout and see if there is a serial number there. Quite often, Ti Smith would put their number there,and quite often it was only a two or three digit number.

Jackie
    http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com
    Last edited by ridebikeme; 10-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.

What is the TT length? May know of someone I ride with that would be interested

I've seen people come back, but as this was posted nearly 2 years ago, I'd be surprised if the OP still keeps tabs on it (or still has the frame)..... If you are really interested, you may want to try an email (if he accepts them or a PM - since that will send an email to him)
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I've seen people come back, but as this was posted nearly 2 years ago, I'd be surprised if the OP still keeps tabs on it (or still has the frame)..... If you are really interested, you may want to try an email (if he accepts them or a PM - since that will send an email to him)
    Thanks for pointing that out. There were some recent posts and I failed to notice the original post date.