Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: What type of mirror do you use?

Voters
121. This poll is closed
  • bar-end mount

36 29.75%
  • helmet mount

15 12.40%
  • eyeglass-frame mount

32 26.45%
  • none - I have eyes in the back of my head

11 9.09%
  • none - owls are jealous of my neck

25 20.66%
  • none - that's what stokers are for!

2 1.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mirror, Mirror on the Bar, Helmet, Frame - d'ya see that car?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do you use a rear-view mirror on your bike? If so, do you prefer bar-end mount, helmet mount or eyeglass-frame mount mirrors?

Jeff Mendenhall
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I have this one- it's taped to my helmet. Have to re-tape it every year or two.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPP_100TAL.html
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

take - a -look on glasses

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I voted bar-end mirror, but mine attaches to my drops (not bar ends).

Mimi, that's the same one I use.
    Sharon

I use a bar end mirror - and I must say that I am impressed that it survived my unscheduled bicycle gymnastics! Now I need to decide what to do for the Surly.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-09-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: edited spelling :p

Thumbs up

Glasses-mounted Chuck Harris mirror, reputedly the guy who invented the bicycle mirror in 1970. Made of all recycled materials, the clip end is an old spoke. He must be in his late 70s by now, and he still goes around to the bigger organized rides with his bicycle trailer full of mirrors.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

DH and I both use the rear view mirrors on our glasses. One of our favorite Saturday morning rides is to an Amish bakery. On one of these rides we were sitting in the yard at the farm house where the bakery is located enjoying our homemade turnovers when the Amish farmer came over and started a conversation. He asked about our bikes, how far we had ridden, etc. but was particularly intrigued with the rear view mirror on our glasses. He wanted to know where he could get one because he could sure use that when he was driving his buggy. He tried it on his glasses and walked around the yard for the longest time testing it out. We just happened to have a spare and took it to him a couple weeks later. I don't know if he ever used it or not.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

i don't use a mirror but i am thinking about getting one. i haven't decided what sort to get so i am eager to see what people say on this thread

Okay, couldn't you have shown me that really cool (and adjustable!) bar-end mount the same day that Susan talked me into the new CX-W sports top so I could share shipping? Really, push all the cool new products on the same day!

Off to buy that bar end...
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Lost my eyeglasses-frame mounted mirror last year on second day of RAGBRAI - drove me nuts. Of course on RAGBRAI, anything cycling related can be easily replaced.

I use the Take-a-look mirror mounted on eyeglasses.

I had two Third Eye glasses-mounted mirrors break after a year's use, and both my husband's and a friend's Third Eye helmet-mounted mirrors fell off. Too bad that's the only brand a lot of LBS's carry. My Chuck Harris mirror isn't the lightest thing in the world (despite the Ultralight name), but if I ever break it, I'll really have to have been trying!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Glasses-mounted Chuck Harris mirror, reputedly the guy who invented the bicycle mirror in 1970. Made of all recycled materials, the clip end is an old spoke. He must be in his late 70s by now, and he still goes around to the bigger organized rides with his bicycle trailer full of mirrors.
    I think this must be the same guy I bought my morror from, probably 10 years ago...the guy I bought mine from is at Apple cider Century every year. I love the old pictures he finds to put on them.

Mine is a glasses mount, hubby uses a helmet mount.

I have a bar end mirror, don't really care for it. I've wondered how the helmet or glass mounted mirrors work with progressive lenses.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100