Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chain slow when back pedaling

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I'm doing regular maintenance, my chain is often reluctant and choppy when I back pedal (bike is upside down)....the bike seems to function fine when I'm riding it I keep it pretty well lubed and cleaned

What is the most likely culprit?

-chain needs replacement
    -derailleur needs adjustment

I would love to hear any similar experiences or advice any of you have

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ana; 03-08-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

More like your freehub needs serviced. You might not notice that your hub isn't spinning as smoothly when you're riding. If you get the wheel going fast (while bike is off the ground) then coast, you might hear grinding or notice that the wheel will stop sooner than normal, even though your brake isn't rubbing.

Could also be bent or stiff chain link, but you'd probably hear something when you ride.

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    More like your freehub needs serviced. You might not notice that your hub isn't spinning as smoothly when you're riding. If you get the wheel going fast (while bike is off the ground) then coast, you might hear grinding or notice that the wheel will stop sooner than normal, even though your brake isn't rubbing.

Could also be bent or stiff chain link, but you'd probably hear something when you ride.
    Yeah, the chain seems fine when riding/testing regular pedaling motion.... Is it safe to ride the bike if the freehub needs servicing?
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Ummm... if it only happens when the bike is upside down, maybe you could check on how well your jockey pulley is spinning? Or if the weight of the chain is tweaking the derailleur arm when the bike is upside down?

But if it only happens when the bike is upside down, I have to wonder how often you ride upside down?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I found it (I am handy)

So the chain needed replacing....I just didn't want to do it unless I was positive it would solve the problem. I removed the back wheel and spun the cassette and it seemed to be fine. I checked out the chain link-by-link and it seemed to have some stiff ones. I know a while back, it was near the brink of needing to be replaced (i.e. hitting the 12 1/4" mark).

So now my bike seems very happy with a new chain

Thanks for your suggestions I'm glad it was an easy fix (not a clean one, though )

I must say that there is something extremely satisfying about being able to work on your own bike
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    hitting the 12 1/4" mark
    That's a typo, right? 12 links in 12-1/16" is the standard for when a chain is done.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That's a typo, right? 12 links in 12-1/16" is the standard for when a chain is done.
    Sheldon says 1/16" (or 1/8" is very much plenty). I will note it for next time I always have to look it up... I bet it needed to be replaced a while ago
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Pedaling backwards is the classic way to look for stiff links. The jockey wheels will jump when a stiff link goes through them.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Pedaling backwards is the classic way to look for stiff links. The jockey wheels will jump when a stiff link goes through them.
    Once I got the new chain out, it was obvious that the old chain was done

I haven't ridden since the fall and now I'm beginning to remember that I knew the chain needed to be replaced but that I would do it later (i.e. during or after the winter)....
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Wink

You should also check your cassette and chain ring teeth for wear. They usually wear together. Chains are usually steel and rings can be aluminum which will wear quicker. Have your LBS check everything
    Veronika