Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Training

Training

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been thinking about trying out cyclocross this fall 2010 and wanted to know what tips everyone has for training or what your routines are.

I have a friend who races and he told me of a park a bunch of cross racers go to train, but wanted to know some good exercises to do on my own the days they don't practice.

I'm into cross training at the gym as well and wanted to know of any specific routines people do to improve their racing.

?? - Most people who do cyclocross use it as a added work out to other bike riding or racing. It was designed to give people who race/ride an alternative in the fall/winter when it is hard to do regular long workouts on the road due to weather, for a shorter, more intense bike workout, with some running involved.

Your questions are pretty vague and doing "cross" training in the gym really doesn't equate to "cyclocross" racing.

So, ride your bike, do a little running; mostly do alot of intense interval training cause that is what cyclecross is all about. Lots of intense intervals, whether on bike or off bike, carrying up a steep, muddy, slippery, set with obstacles hill on foot.

Go see what the cyclocross people do and you will see what you need to do for training. Also, you will need to work on your mount, dismount and carry.

spoke

Do some mountain biking or take your cross bike out on singletrack. Improve your bike handling skills off pavement.

Those that can't handle unstable or slippery conditions, or don't have the ability to make a tight u-turn, can have fabulous fitness and still be left in the dirt in more ways than one.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Spokewench is right - most of us race through the season, and THEN transition to 'cross racing. I start my race season now, and race on the road and MTB through August. Then it's time for 'cross.

And LOTS of interval training is what you will need. Riding your MTB is also good advice - as SK said, if you have the fitness, but lack the technical skills, you won't get far in a race.

FWIW - I don't run. Ever. I only run in a race, and since it is short, and my fitness is good, I don't find this to be a hindrance.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Well I don't race what so ever so cyclocross would be it for me which is why i was saying i often work out in the gym and mostly commute, cyclotour, and go on long rides for fun.

That's the extent of my training. Sorry to confuse and when I said cross training I wasn't specifically saying it was for cyclocross.

I'll probably start exploring some of the offroad trails around the area to get used to not riding the pavement.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by radicalrye View Post
    Well I don't race what so ever so cyclocross would be it for me which is why i was saying i often work out in the gym and mostly commute, cyclotour, and go on long rides for fun.

That's the extent of my training. Sorry to confuse and when I said cross training I wasn't specifically saying it was for cyclocross.

I'll probably start exploring some of the offroad trails around the area to get used to not riding the pavement.

Thanks for the advice
    In that case, let me change my advice. LOTS of base miles! Remember that you will be racing against others who HAVE been racing through the season before transitioning to 'cross. That means that you will need a lot of base miles in addition to the interval workouts and skills workouts.

Your competitors will all be coming in to the 'cross season with a good base of fitness (at least many/most of them will) from other racing - road or MTB. Just make sure that you mix up your rides between now and the start of the season - some long steady distance (LSD), and others that are shorter, and more intense.

The skills will help you either way, so keep at that as well!

Sorry if I mislead you - there's nothing saying you can't jump into racing when the 'cross season starts. Just need to know what you're getting into!

SheFly

I'm most likely doing the local Act 8 Aids Ride here in Wisco so I'll be doing a good mix of short practice rides in the spring along with commuting and some good long distance rides. The route is supposed to be extra hilly this year so I'll need to get myself in shape either way.

The idea of joining a club to help guide me through training has crossed my mind as well. I guess I'll see when it gets a little closer to summer and I get my work schedule figured out. It's hard being a student, keeping a nearly full time job and having a time consuming hobby!

How do you all do it?!

Quote Originally Posted by radicalrye View Post

I'm most likely doing the local Act 8 Aids Ride here in Wisco so I'll be doing a good mix of short practice rides in the spring along with commuting and some good long distance rides. The route is supposed to be extra hilly this year so I'll need to get myself in shape either way.

The idea of joining a club to help guide me through training has crossed my mind as well. I guess I'll see when it gets a little closer to summer and I get my work schedule figured out. It's hard being a student, keeping a nearly full time job and having a time consuming hobby!

How do you all do it?!
    The riding you are planning sounds perfect!

If you can find a club that hosts a 'cross skills clinic, and/or training practices, that would be great. Most clubs won't start those until later in the summer though, just FYI. So you know anyone locally who races 'cross? Finding someone who does is a good place to start - they are usually VERY HAPPY to help get people like you addicted - 'er, I mean into the 'cross racing scene .

I hear you on the time! Full time job, two homes, president of the bike club and an Elite-level road/MTB racer who does 'cross for fun! Cycling is my life !

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    So you know anyone locally who races 'cross? Finding someone who does is a good place to start - they are usually VERY HAPPY to help get people like you addicted - 'er, I mean into the 'cross racing scene .

SheFly
    Hehe... good advice by the one who taught me how to 'cross... which included registering me at a race I was just showing up to watch .. I'm totally looking forward to the fall now that I think I'll have time (finally) to do more cross races!

I don't road race at all, just lots of hilly riding in Central Mass... This year I'm training for a longish charity ride mid summer so I should have a better "base" than the last two years when I just showed up after not riding at all. But once you do one race its totally addicting! As long as you are cool with bruises lol.

maybe someday I'll try road racing... just haven't gotten the nerves up for that yet.

Start with base miles, then getting used to off road, then adding intervals like Tabata intervals as it gets closer to the season. Tabata intervals are the key for me!