Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Trying to decide if I like her...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Giant just released pic's of their early launch 29ers. They have a wsd version called the Rainier 29. I can't decide whether or not I like her. Part of me says "cool!" when I look at it, but another part of me says "yeech, they tried to hard"..
    I dunno? what do you think?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...d=121409512446

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I don't know- I kinda like it! The top tube is a little funky, but that's what makes it sorta cool, too. I give it a thumbs up! What other color options are there?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

For me, its a NOT

I don't like it. The top tube looks weak and weird with that skinny spot. If they were going for different well...they got that!

I mean, if you're going to put a sub-5'5" rider on a 29'er, you've gotta put the rider somewhere...

To me, it isn't the top tube, it's the slope of the down tube that's weird. But I like the graphics.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I mean, if you're going to put a sub-5'5" rider on a 29'er, you've gotta put the rider somewhere...

To me, it isn't the top tube, it's the slope of the down tube that's weird. But I like the graphics.
    Can a sub-5'5" rider really ride a 29'er? If it has to have that bend to accommodate me, then I like her.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

The dainty girly top tube doesn't appeal to me.

Why make the bike look fragile? I don't particularly need a fragile looking bike to make me feel fragile and dainty and feminine.
    (I feel quite fragile enough all by myself, thank you very much!)

(I look out at a full view of Mt. Rainier from my office window every day. She's not a fragile mountain. That girl has *presence.*)

Kona did the dainty top tube thing with their Dr. Lisa. Can't say I liked the original any better than Giant's version.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 03-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

They are not making an xs, so I would be out even if I was considering it. Only small, med, large available.
    But I guess I was on the right track w/my thinking then.... Thanks ladies. I WONT be ordering one for the store!
    But I do like the Talon 1 and 2 "mens" version. They are mean't to be a lower price point bike I guess.
    A 700.00 29er will prolly sell pretty well. I get lots of people asking for a sub 1k niner.
    As for the skinny spot where the TT slopes. I don't see the lack of material being an issue. But I did open the picture they sent me again and did a zoom in. The seat tube, top tube junction might be a bit dicey. I know they put these through some pretty rigorous testing, so fingers are crossed. But fwiw Giant has a lifetime frame warranty.

I am one of the least knowledgeable about bikes on this forum, but I don't care for the looks of this bike. The top tube just makes it looks awkward.

I am curious about 29'ers in general though, my beloved Fargo that I can't buy because it doesn't fit happens to be one. I am 5'4, which I guess makes it difficult to fit a 29'er.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-03-2010 at 07:07 AM.

To me that top tube looks like the bike has already been in an accident and has been damaged. I vote 2 thumbs down.

It looks like crap, and it looks cheap. I don't like the top tube at all, and the excessively steep slope of the downtube (because it doesn't start going down right out of the headtube and has an odd bend in it) only makes matters worse. Fork looks like cheap skinny crap (why didn't they just make it rigid if they were going for "entry level", it is a 29er afterall?). What is with the seatpost design? Looks unnecessarily weak/prone to failure with the clamp set so far back behind the post. Everything looks ridiculously skinny compared to those big tires. Rear triangle looks like it's stuck on the front triangle not like it's one complete bike (they don't match aesthetically).

I've seen tiny/women's 29ers done right and this isn't one of them.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Don't know much about these 29er bikes so I cannot judge the looks, BUT - I saw your jerseys on the facebook page and they look nice. I especially like the idea that the sales will support screening and treatment for under-insured patients. Now if I could find an excuse to buy another kit...

By the way - sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but... I am in need of some advice about bike products dealers. Running Mommy I would really appreciate your expert opinion. If you have a minute to spare a few words of wisdom would you please let me know? Thanks much!
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

hey Tx, I would LOVE to help you! I think I got an email from you regarding jerseys, that I responded back to. So feel free to email away, and I'll get back to you.
    - Tomorrow will be a crazy day, so I may not be too responsive, but I'll get to it I promise!
    : )

Thanks much! e-mail sent
    Ok, I'm done hi-jacking threads, back to the Giant bike now...
    Last edited by TxDoc; 03-04-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: type-o
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes