Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

LBS Tuneup & Front Chain Ring Shifting Problem

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd like to get another opinion on a situation with my bf's bike.

He has a 3 year old Redline. Awesome bike, he has taken it in for tuneups every year, kept it in good shape, all that. He recently started having trouble shifting the front chainring from the bottom to the top. When he first got the bike, and for the first couple of years, it would shift the first time he clicked the shifter. It was starting to take a couple of tries. He monkeyed with it a little, but it still wasn't right. It was time for a tuneup anyways, so I took both our bikes in and asked for the ultramegarad$95 tuneup and mentioned that he was having trouble shifting the front.

When I brought the bikes home, the bf went for a quick ride around the neighborhood to try it out. The problem had not improved at all, so we called the shop. They suggested we take it in and they tinker with it a little. We spent about 1/2 hour at the shop - it was right before closing time - but they couldn't get it right and actually ended up making it worse.

They hemmed and hawed a little. The manager said that the way it was shifting, requiring at least 2 clicks, was how it was supposed to work. That's not how it worked before, not until recently. The mechanic started to try to convince him we needed to change the front chain rings. Not in a "you definitely need to do this" way, more suggestion, and more cya-seeming. (And if that was the case, why wouldn't they recommend that when we picked it up?) The manager rode the bike around and said it shifted better than his bike, it's great. However, it's not great, it's not shifting well - it barely shifts now. I'm not sure what our next steps should be.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on the validity of the manager and mechanic's input?

I actually really like this shop, and don't want it to have to be like this.

Hopefully some of the experienced mechanics will chime in, but I'm pretty sure they'll need to know what make and model are the shifters, and whether it's a compact or a standard double.

How many miles on the chainrings? How worn does he typically let his chains get before replacement?

Also, did the tune-up involve replacing cables and housings, and if so, did he specify Dura-Ace (or other brand equivalent)? You wouldn't get them for that price, or I should say I'd be very surprised if you did. If he had teflon-coated cables before and doesn't now, that could definitely affect the shifting feel.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

What kind of shifters/cranks/derailleur does the bike have?

If he's got ultegra or 105 level shifters, there's usually a half click for trim, so it does take 2 clicks to go from one chain ring to another up front.

And I guess teh other question is - how does he shift? Is he shifting under load? I can ride my bike and be all pissed that it's not shifting right - my boyfriend can get on it and I'll watch him and he won't have any trouble shifting and will think I'm nuts. Quite possibly the manager isn't having any shifting problems, becuase he doesn't shift under load, eases up when he's trying to shift and has been riding bikes that way a long time... My bf shifts into the gear he wants to spin up a hill in before he gets to the hill. I shift when I'm climbing up a hill. He never has any problem with shifting, I do.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 03-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Cable tension is often the problem shifting onto the bigger chainrings. When you pull the cable taut - will it jump to a bigger ring? If they're STI shifters (brifters) you have to shift "beyond the click." I hate STI's. *grumble* Have a different bike shop check the cable tension. Just my two cents.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

If a couple experience mechanics can't make it shift right after all that, there's probably something more than cable tension wrong with it. Maybe there's play in the bottom bracket, or the chainring bolts are loose, or a bent tooth on a chainring, or a stripped cable anchor bolt, or bad housing. Not likely that a chainring just wore out in 3 years.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

and ALL of that they should have found in the super mega grande 95.00 tune up!
    I hate to say take it to another shop, but that may be the case.
    I just don't understand how these lbs owners can function like that and stay in business. If it's not right, it's not right. And i have NO DOUBT that the mgr/wrenches etc. KNEW it wasn't right.
    Sad! I wish you were closer, Nick our bike whisperer would prolly be able to nail it down in a few minutes.
    Sorry you are dealing with this. Have you talked to the owner of the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by moderncyclista View Post
    Have a different bike shop check the cable tension. Just my two cents.
    Agreed. Take it elsewhere.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

LBS Tuneup and fronst chainring shifting

I agree with Deb, that there are lots of other issues that could be happening.... it isn't as simple as cable tension. Other issues could be that the shifter or front derailleur is starting to flex, although I would tend to think that it is one or more of the issues that Deb mentioned.

Although there are definitely some shops that are better than others, as in all business... I wouldn't claim that I have all of the answers either. We are on the outside looking in, and although we have some of the facts... we definitely don't have them all. Give your shop a chance, explain how you feel and how things have worked in the past... if they appreciate your business, then they'll find out the problem. I don't think that we on this forum should be criticizing until we have the entire story, and both sides.

Take the BF bike back in, and insist that it is NOT working as it has in the past, and give them a chance to earn your confidence. If that doesn't happen, then you can think about visiting another shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    and ALL of that they should have found in the super mega grande 95.00 tune up!
    You'd think! That's why we did that. Super disappointed. I've been going to this shop for maybe 10 years - and they have always done right by me, so talking to the owner is not out of the question.

I will find out more answers to these questions tonight. In the meantime, here is what I do know:

- One of the things they did when we brought the bike back was tighten the cable tension. They may have made it too tight, and they did it after making some other changes on the front, including changing the position/height of the <something that wraps around the tube> on the tube next to the chainrings. At this point, making it tighter does not seem good. But if it's looser it wont shift at all.

- No, they did not replace the cables or chain or anything. They were supposed to call me if that was necessary and ask.

LBS Tuneup and fronst chainring shifting

Sounds like they adjusted the front derailleur. What exactly do they do for your $95 tuneup? I generally recommend that you replace cables annually, and most housing needs it as well.

At any rate, I'm sure by talking with them, they can give you more information about the tuneup and what they think is going on. Definitely keep us informed though

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Many things it could be (bad workmanship, old cable, something to do with it being a old derailleur or getting some wear, etc. just to name a few), but it SHOULD be shifting on the first try ESPECIALLY just after a tune-up (older stuff will go out of alignment faster, but unless it's plum broke or worn out it should go into alignment IMO). If the manager actually admitted that it was shifting better than his personal bike and it wasn't shifting INSTANTLY I'd never trust him or one of his mechanics.

My bikes all shift on the first try with no effort and no hesitation. They all run silently as well (NO derailleur rub, even when I'm cross-chained, which yes, I try not to do). My shop only employs professional master mechanics with years of industry experience (not kids wanting a part time job).

I will say I do PAY for it for sure, but the bike is better than new every time I pick it up, and if they can't make it that way they tell me exactly what needs to be replaced, no hemming and hawing. (Their "supermegagrande" version runs closer to $200 and involves completely stripping, cleaning, and rebuilding. I think I pay close to $90 for a "basic" (which, IMO, is anything but basic compared to other shops) tune and checkup. (when they actually make me pay full price on labor...which is about 1 out of 10 times to take a guess).

It's all in finding a GOOD mechanic and a shop that won't make excuses for their mechanic.

Here's the description of what you get for $95. Description from their site, titles from me.

Basic Tuneup:
    If you're just bringing your bike out of winter storage for the spring or are a hardcore rider prepping for a race, <Bike Shop's> basic tune-up will get you rolling. This tune-up includes adjustments to the brakes (disc brake bleed add $15 per brake), gears, headset, bottom bracket, and hubs. Our mechanics will also spot true your wheels and lube the chain and cables for smooth operation. Parts and accessories installation is additional.

Fancy One (the one we got)
    This tune-up takes the basic service a couple of steps further. Included are inspection of your frame and components for wear, the removal of your chain, cassette, and crankset for cleaning in a solvent tank, cleaning of components, and cleaning and polishing of your frame. We also check the suspension components on mountain bikes. Parts and accessories installation is additional.

To be fair, both bikes are now very very clean and pretty. And I don't want to completely bash the bike shop - a mere two days ago I would have been singing their praises. But I am pretty disappointed. And I did specifically ask them to look at the shifting.

Update - looks like things improved with the shifting overnight. When the bf rode it in the am, it was working a lot better. Maybe we have bike mechanic gnomes in the garage or something.

It was still crazy squeaky (I forgot to mention that it was squeaky too), so he dropped by the bike shop on his way to work. They had to take a bunch of stuff apart, but they got rid of the squeaks. All seems well.

So, yay, everything is working now. Boo, we sure had to go through a lot to get to this point.