Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Funniest conversations with non-cyclists.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had a really funny encounter today with someone and was wondering what some of your funniest conversations with non-cyclists were?

Here's how mine went:

I pick up a pizza on my bike so I stand in line wearing my bike gear including a giant shapeless red rain jacket. A good looking Nor-Cal guy behind me sees my helmet and pizza.

Bro: "Are you going to bring that back on your bike?"

Me: "Yeah, I have a rack. My husband and I always ride so it's no big deal."

Bro: "You are so hot."

I start to leave with a giant grin and I hear him call out to his friend that just arrived.

Bro: "That chick is bringing her husband a pizza home on a bike!"

Bro's Friend: "She's magnificent."

Needless to say this made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by gr33nt3a View Post
    I

Bro: "Are you going to bring that back on your bike?"

Me: "Yeah, I have a rack. My husband and I always ride so it's no big deal."

Bro: "You are so hot."

I start to leave with a giant grin and I hear him call out to his friend that just arrived.

Bro: "That chick is bringing her husband a pizza home on a bike!"

Bro's Friend: "She's magnificent."

Needless to say this made my day.
    That's awesome!

I don't have anything that funny...but once I had a business meeting in my home, and my bike was in the room. It was brand new, and I was so proud of it. The guy looks at it and in a really excited voice says "Wow! Look at those PEDALS!!!"

They're just SPDs (the least exciting thing about my bike).

That's so funny!!

You are magnificent.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I love it! Both really good stories!

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    "Wow! Look at those PEDALS!!!"
    ROFL
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

"you just rode 10 miles???!?!... That's a long long ride!" And I'm standing there next to my husband who rode 120 miles yesterday....
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Non-runners are funny, too. They'll ask how far you ran, and you tell them, and they go "wow" and their eyes kind of glaze over. Then they ask you where you ran, and if it's locations they know, their eyes get huge and they say, "You ran all the way there?!" They have no idea what 15 or 20 miles really looks like. Happens all the time.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My story is not that as funny as yours, but I'll share:

When it was clear that my comfort bike wasn't what I needed to pursue cycling at the level I had in mind, I told my significant other that I'd taken the plunge and bought a road bike...

John: What?! Now you are going to leave me in the dust on my comfort bike!

Me: You spend a lot of time on the boat on weekends and aren't around to ride with...this will be for my solo rides. When we ride together I'll still use my comfort bike-if it will make you feel better.

John: But...with a road bike, you are going to be able to go faster and for longer rides.

Me: So???? Like I said, I'll be riding alone-I don't see how that threatens you.

John: Um...well...so are you going to end up being Forrest Gump-on a bike?

oh Kubla. hope it turned out all right.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    oh Kubla. hope it turned out all right.
    Oh yes...all is well. Originally we bought the comfort bikes just to putter around with.

It just happened to turn into more than a casual activity for me-whereas he has his boat to occupy most of his free time during the warmer weather.

Hi Kubla,

perhaps you could surprise John with a tandem bike ride, sounds pretty romantic and makes the time cycling together even more special.

just a thought

when I die and go to that other place I will be the stoker on a tandem bike with my DH. He is the reason I so enjoy riding solo. He is a love and a dear sweet man and my best friend but deep down inside he has a real problem with T poisoning when we ride together.

If I ride in front he insists he is slowing me down and to just go at my regular speed, but then he is wiped after 10 miles of keeping up with me and I am irritated at having to constantly slow down a bit for him. If he leads he will kill himself for 10 miles to keep " up to my speed" and then bail. At which point I am definitely fed up with him surging and rabbiting to stay "up to my speed."

Our solution is to ride together somehow for10iles and then I peel off and do another 30-50 miles and he dawdles his way home with a stop for coffee.

I am just convinced that wall paper hanging and riding more than 10 miles together unless it is on a charity ride with lots of other people around he can pace with, are just things that are not in our future
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Non-runners are funny, too. They'll ask how far you ran, and you tell them, and they go "wow" and their eyes kind of glaze over. Then they ask you where you ran, and if it's locations they know, their eyes get huge and they say, "You ran all the way there?!" They have no idea what 15 or 20 miles really looks like. Happens all the time.
    I know what it looks like - me, face down in the gutter!!! For me, double digit miles are done on 2 wheels! I envy marathon runners.....
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    when I die and go to that other place I will be the stoker on a tandem bike with my DH.
    Ahhhh, heaven.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by lilly99 View Post
    Hi Kubla,

perhaps you could surprise John with a tandem bike ride, sounds pretty romantic and makes the time cycling together even more special.

just a thought
    Lilly99, There are no tandem bikes in our future, I'm afraid. We tried a tandem kayak once during a watersport demo day, and it did not go well for us. They call them "divorce boats" for a reason. <LOL>

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Nice stories

Last week we where on a bike tour in a quite large group of 6. This tour has a really nice and long downhill, so we where all on full suspension bikes, some even enduros, everybody had Pads, backpacks with water and food and the guys even wore downhill helmets along with thick clothing because it gets really cold here in November.

On one spot I had to stop and wait for a group of hikers to pass us by. While walking by an old guy asked me: "Do you have a bell?" (I don't, on my MTB.) "Of course you don't! So you could save another 10 grams (less than half an ounce) of weight!"

(I don't know why he would have liked me to have a bell... maybe I could have been standing there, waiting for 2 minutes while ringing at them to speed them up...)
    Last edited by Susan; 11-23-2010 at 01:22 AM.