Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Butt-cheek chafing = too-wide saddle?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm suspicious that my Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow saddle is a bit too wide (I'm also not convinced that the cut-out goes far enough forward to keep my inner labia bits from being squished and cranky, but some of this could be indoor-trainer discomfort that DH insists should be better once we are riding outdoors). I'm getting hot spots where the outer edge of my chamois is sewn onto the shorts and coincides with the edge of my saddle...right where my butt cheek creases.

Or is this simply a chamois seam issue that would be there regardless of saddle width?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

That sounds like a pretty classic case of chafing from a saddle that is too pear shaped for your particular anatomy.

As your hip joint flexes and extends the pear-shaped transition from "sit" to "nose" gets in the way and rubs.

Usually chafing in the creases where the butt meets the leg.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    That sounds like a pretty classic case of chafing from a saddle that is too pear shaped for your particular anatomy.

As your hip joint flexes and extends the pear-shaped transition from "sit" to "nose" gets in the way and rubs.

Usually chafing in the creases where the butt meets the leg.
    Ok, shape was my 2nd suspicion after reading around. And my saddle does seem fairly pear-shaped. Does this mean I likely need the t-shaped sort of saddle? Any suggestions on models that would also have a cut-out? I've been curious about the Specialized Jett or Selle Italia SLK--would either of these likely serve me better than my current saddle?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I went ahead and ordered a Jett 143 directly from Specialized. I'll try that for a few weeks, then return it per their return policy if it doesn't work. I'm thinking it should be a better size/shape for my booty. I always feel like I have to push my butt back on my current saddle, regardless of nose angle. Then my girly bits are not seated over the cut-out right. It seems logical to me that a narrower/t-shaped saddle should help my issues. When I measure my sit bones with fabric tape I always am in the 120-130 range, but the current saddle is 160.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Wow...2 hour-long rides on the Jett and I realize just what a bad fit my Selle Italia saddle was. No more butt-crease chafing and my girly bits aren't complaining a bit. The cut-out ends up further forward on the Jett, so I'm not pressing against the front of the cut-out. As a result, 0 pain, 0 numbness. And my sit-bones don't mind this saddle a bit, either. I had read some reviews that had me a bit nervous, but the Jett and my butt seem very compatible!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Awesome, we love happy endings!

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Awesome, we love happy endings!
    Me too--and I'm glad I didn't listen to my husband (even though he is generally very knowledgeable about cycling issues). He was certain that the girly-bits issue was due to riding on the trainer and would improve outdoors and that butt chafing is normal. Uh...if my rear is chafing after just an hour, what would I end up with after a 4-5 hour ride?

I'm also glad I asked around. I'm looking forward to getting outside very soon and having a great shorts and saddle combination so that I can start tackling some longer rides ASAP!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Glad to hear that the Jett is working well for you. It's one of the saddles on my "list" to try.

I did manage to get out for my first ride of the season today...testing out my new Selle Italia Prolink Light Gel Flow saddle. I only rode 28 miles, so I'll need to do a few more substantially longer rides to figure out if it's working for me. It wasn't bad, but still too soon to really tell. My sit bones generally don't start hurting until I hit the 35-40 mile mark, so I'm not at all surprised that the saddle felt okay after just 28 miles. Stay tuned....

Ok...rode 40 miles today, and my butt was not really liking the SI Prolink all that much this time. Not sure if it was the added mileage or what...but the main issue today was pressure on the girly bits, particularly the labia. It felt like it was "folded" over or something...at any rate, it was NOT GOOD. I'm now beginning to wonder if the cut-out on the Prolink just isn't situated in the most ideal spot for a female rider...seeing as it is a men's saddle and the cut-out does seem to be really narrow and short. I'll try it for a few more rides, but I'm already gearing up to order a new saddle soon. Will likely try the SI SLK Lady Gel Flow next...as I like the "split-design" of that saddle because it enables the rear of the saddle to flex and move with the rider.

The SLK was going to be my next try if the Jett didn't work out. Report back on how you like that if you end up ditching the Prolink. It does make sense that the cut-out could be placed poorly for a female, since the areas that need pressure relief aren't situated quite the same on a guy. But I had that same sort of folded/pinched sensation with the Lady Gel Flow, so maybe it's an SI thing...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I tried the prolink and the cutout was not big enough or in the right place. Take a look at the SI max flite. If you need a wider, 150-ish saddle, this is the one. The cut out is even bigger than the Specialized saddles I've tried, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    I tried the prolink and the cutout was not big enough or in the right place. Take a look at the SI max flite. If you need a wider, 150-ish saddle, this is the one. The cut out is even bigger than the Specialized saddles I've tried, I love it.
    Yes, I have considered the Max Flite...however the 150 width is bordering on too wide for me, so I'm a tad bit hesitant to try it for that reason. I've also been eyeing up the Turbomatic Gel Flow, but that saddle is even wider (153) than the Max Flite. If there was a place near me that would allow me to test ride the various saddles that I'm interested in, I'd do that...but so far, I haven't encountered a shop that does it. My hubby is getting a bit upset with me trying all these different saddles...so I wish I could find "the one" and be done with it.

Thought I should update this thread...I SUPERMEGAHEART my Specialized Jett. Really, this is the saddle I should have been on all along. I don't think about my butt (or my girly bits) while on my bike, which is the way it should be.

Eventually I'm thinking about getting into cyclocross, so the saddle choice will be easy--a black Jett 143.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Smile

Yeah, another happy ending!

yup

+1 for the Sp Jett!