Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a Jett 143 directly from Specialized. I'll try that for a few weeks, then return it per their return policy if it doesn't work. I'm thinking it should be a better size/shape for my booty. I always feel like I have to push my butt back on my current saddle, regardless of nose angle. Then my girly bits are not seated over the cut-out right. It seems logical to me that a narrower/t-shaped saddle should help my issues. When I measure my sit bones with fabric tape I always am in the 120-130 range, but the current saddle is 160.
    new on this measuring. how do you measure your sit bones with a tape measure? I have been having problems with chafing in between the inner thighs and I strongly believe my saddle isn't right for my shape. This past week I did get a narrower shaped saddle with a 30 days satisfication guarantee. Going to try it out tomorrow on the trails.

Also what does LBS mean?

LBS = local bike shop/store

Measuring...I did a really un-scientific measure with a flexible measuring tape. I felt around to find the sit bones, then pressed the end directly over one side, then stretched it across to my other sit bone and marked the span.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Question Searching everywhere for the right saddle

Ladies -
    I'm glad to hear that there are others that feel my 'pain'...literally. I have been to 3 bike shops and had 2 bike fittings...tried about 20+ different bike seats and dread getting on my bike. I've gotten chafing, saddle sores, numbness, etc. It's been 1 1/2 years and I can't get comfortable but I haven't given up yet!

The last recommendation was that the seats I have been trying are too wide for me. I'm 5'3", 120 pounds. It was recommended that I get a men's seat - 130 mm. I just ordered the Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow as I guy friend recommended it highly since he loves it. At this point I'll try anything. I see from the various string that the Specialized Jett comes in a 130mm seat as well.

Any thoughts? Anyone have similar needs - I'm highly sensitive. Just bought the Sugoi RS short as well - just not sure I like them b/c of length and mesh make up. Any other recommended shorts??

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still LOVING my Jett...have done as long as a 50 miler and my butt was as happy as I can imagine it being for that distance and my noobishness.

My favorite shorts are the Pearl Izumi Symphony...I have the shorter 6" version, the Symphony Cut. But I'm thinking about getting the regular 8" length next time...to have less area to have to slather with sunscreen. I LOVE the flat front panel, instead of elastic all the way around. Very comfy.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Great to hear, I am going to get the Jett, I have the same problems with the Terry saddle what you mentioned. On top of it, they must of changed the product/material, the color is coming of on to my skin and chamois...and there is to much padding...

And another for the Specialized Jett. I just built myself a fixie & wanted a white saddle - so I bought the Selle Italia as it has suited me in the past (& you can't get a Jett in white in the UK). I also felt that the Jett might be a bit hard on the bum bones on a fixie. Sooo - I was wrong - the Selle Italia is hard on my front parts - the hole just isn't large enough or in the right place. The Jett's the one for me. Now I have to visit the US this summer just so I can buy the white version (or rather, 3 of the white version).

80% of our business is bike fitting & so far no one has loved the feel of my Jett - I think they are scared by how hard it feels. But on the road it is so comfy & just sits in the crease at the top of my legs without causing any chafing. I am about 5'1" & a size 4 (US) - but I take the widest one. I tried the narrower one for ages because I though it looked nicer (shallow, moi?) But basically went back to the 155mm - I do wonder if some people might need an even wider one. I think it's a bit odd that Specialized do the same widths in women's & mens' saddles.

I'm suspicious that my Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow saddle is a bit too wide (I'm also not convinced that the cut-out goes far enough forward to keep my inner labia bits from being squished and cranky, but some of this could be indoor-trainer discomfort that DH insists should be better once we are riding outdoors). I'm getting hot spots where the outer edge of my chamois is sewn onto the shorts and coincides with the edge of my saddle...right where my butt cheek creases.

Or is this simply a chamois seam issue that would be there regardless of saddle width?
    +1 on this...I had really high hopes for this saddle, but I'm having the exact same issues as you. Big time ouchy after 25+ miles and I'm constantly squirming around tryign to find a better "placement". Will try the Jett next.

Zoom-zoom, are you me? I'm having similar issues with the same saddle. By about mile 15 I'm squirming around a bit. I haven't noticed any chafing, but the girly bits are unhappy, and I feel like I need to keep scooting back. It was made worse by the chamois in the cheapy shorts I wore today.

I've never noticed it before to a significant extent the last few times I rode similar distances. I get a bit of sit bone pain, and a teeny bit of short-lived girly-bit discomfort which goes away with more riding. I'll give it a few weeks of regular riding and see, but the Jett is going on my list of things to try.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Fri. I am planning on my first metric century...I'm hoping I still love my Jett as distances increase. I have heard some reviews where riders have found the saddle a bit too firm for longer rides. If that happened I think I would try a Ruby (and save the Jett for a future cyclocross bike), which appears to be shaped the same, but a bit cushier directly under the sit-bones.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Fri. I am planning on my first metric century...I'm hoping I still love my Jett as distances increase. I have heard some reviews where riders have found the saddle a bit too firm for longer rides. If that happened I think I would try a Ruby (and save the Jett for a future cyclocross bike), which appears to be shaped the same, but a bit cushier directly under the sit-bones.
    I have rode (or is it ridden?) with both a Jett and a Ruby on my bike, and the Jett has significantly more padding/cush to it. I changed to the Ruby because it is much flatter and thin. The Jett padding combined with the padding in my shorts was causing discomfort in the soft tissue and since switching to a lesser padded seat, this issue was eliminated for me.

sit bones measured, now for the saddle

I did the rough sit bones measurement...about 133 mm. So reading the Jett recommendations, do you go for the 130 or the 143? There are so many saddles that don't give the measurements. I was looking on the Terry website but didn't see measurements for saddles. Ugh, this is a horrible process. Can't wait to find the right saddle!

http://www.specialized.com/specs/spe...eometrysaddles

This chart helped me understand what size, relative to my position, my saddle should be.

ETA: My sitbones are exactly 130 mm. That puts me right between a 143 and a 155. I am currently on a 155 but find that as my position becomes more aggressive, I might be more comfortable on a 143.
    Last edited by rubywagon; 06-06-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bffhusker View Post
    I did the rough sit bones measurement...about 133 mm. So reading the Jett recommendations, do you go for the 130 or the 143? There are so many saddles that don't give the measurements. I was looking on the Terry website but didn't see measurements for saddles. Ugh, this is a horrible process. Can't wait to find the right saddle!
    Definitely not the 130...I think I was between 120-130 for my sit bones and the 143 fits me well, but if my sit bones were any wider I would want the 155. I'm thinking the 143 might be a hair narrow for you, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by bffhusker View Post
    Terry does indeed give saddle measurements...however, they give it in "inches", rather than in "millimeters". All you have to do is take the measurement and plug it in to a metric conversion calculator (just google metric conversion) and it will convert inches to millimeters. I'm currently eyeing up the new Terry FLX, which is 10.25 x 5.6 inches...converted to millimeters those measurements come out to 260 x 142mm. Many of the Terry saddles are 6 inches wide, which is 152.4mm.

Thumbs up Here it is

I thought if I looked long enough I'd find the thread in which Knott posts a lot of essential saddle fit for women (and some men) tips. Knott is very wise

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=25954
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/