Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Brooks Imperial?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone any experience with the Brooks Imperial saddle? I was told that Brooks recently brought this design back, probably feeling the heat of that other saddle company I was asking about Apparently the original design hails from the late 1800s. My build kit includes the B17 S Imperial with rails.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Did you do the "cut out test"?

Do you need a cut out?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Did you do the "cut out test"?

Do you need a cut out?
    I liked the over feel of the Selle-An-Anatomica but found it too long and the nose too narrow. When I learned that Brooks had a B-17 S that was similar it seemed the best of both worlds.

What is the cut out test?

Find a wooden chair or stone bench or other very hard and unyielding seating surface.

Sit on it.

Hinge forward at your hips (don't bend your back) until you can rest your elbows on your knees.

Stay that way for a few minutes.

If your "soft tissues" object to this treatment, it is likely you would benefit from a saddle with a cutout.

If your "soft tissues" (we're talkin' labia here, ok?) have no extraordinary issues, it is likely that a cutout is unnecessary, and you might end up being one of the folks who complains about the rubbing or pinching of the edges of the cut-out. (more trouble than it is worth)

Nothing is written in stone, ever. But it's helpful to know a bit about tissue volume. Soft tissue complaints during the test should be taken seriously.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Find a wooden chair or stone bench or other very hard and unyielding seating surface.

Sit on it.

Hinge forward at your hips (don't bend your back) until you can rest your elbows on your knees.

Stay that way for a few minutes.

If your "soft tissues" object to this treatment, it is likely you would benefit from a saddle with a cutout.

If your "soft tissues" (we're talkin' labia here, ok?) have no extraordinary issues, it is likely that a cutout is unnecessary, and you might end up being one of the folks who complains about the rubbing or pinching of the edges of the cut-out. (more trouble than it is worth)

Nothing is written in stone, ever. But it's helpful to know a bit about tissue volume. Soft tissue complaints during the test should be taken seriously.
    I will try this as soon as I find an appropriate surface. I do have a wooden chair, but the seat is quite curved, and I want to find a flat surface for this test. I think my club has a bench that would be appropriate

I did the "cut out" test as described and there was no discomfort at all. So I don't need the Imperial...I suspect the regular B-17 saddle is less expensive than the Imperial
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-26-2010 at 12:33 PM.

I know there's preference for wallbike.com but, if you're price sensitive, i found brooks saddles here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category....mp=16&sfile=1=

the price has risen since i last purchased prob due the exchange rate . dollar was slightly stronger so i ended getting b17s for a little over $50. course i knew i liked brooks saddles so if you're unsure wallbike might be the place to go.

i think wallbike still has the nice exchange policy??
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

I just ordered one of these to go on the root beer Jamis.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Oooh, Velo Orange has rails 1 cm longer than Brooks....

now, if only they'd do a B67 knock-off as well as a B17 knock-off!

Knott, I needed to be able to push my B72 on my touring bike back about a cm. and finally found a solution. Clever Cycles recommended the Brompton saddle adapter pin, so I switched to that coupled with a straight seatpost. I've only ridden it a couple of times so far but the times I have been on it my right hip and knee have been so much happier. And so has my pocket book! The lugged seatpost with extra setback at Riv is a looker but more than I wanted to spend.

Taken from Cleverchimps flickr page:

Link to Google products page:
    http://www.google.com/products?addr=...wQrQQwAg&sl=on
    You might try asking if your LBS can order it for you or see if one of the folding bike shops have it in stock.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Actually, my fit isn't far off at all. I use platform pedals on my Surly, so I just move my feet forward a bit. (Wahine checked my fit at the fit party a couple years ago) But I will keep that extender in mind. I looooooove my Brooks B67 and B68.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I just ordered one of these to go on the root beer Jamis.
    That is beautiful Zen!