Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st Marathon Race Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, I am finally getting around to my race report. It was the 26.2 with Donna for the National Breast Cancer foundation in Jacksonville, FL. In addition to my SO joining me, my sister (a breast cancer survivior) and her husband met us there for the weekend.
    It was a bit chilly on Sunday AM. I traveled alone by shuttle bus to the start. It was a chilly 39 degrees. I was there by 6 and the race was 7:30. Actually many participants that waited later to try and catch a shuttle had a long wait and close call to get to the start. I was a bit nervous being there alone and kept waiting for my "support team" to arrive. After multiple phone calls I realized they may not make it to the start on time. So I went to get in my section for the race start. I almost cried when I finally saw my "support team". So the 1st 3 miles of the race approaches an over pass, so pretty quickly I was going up hill. About that time inbetween mile 2 & 3 I found the 4:30 race group. That was my original goal. It was a "walk run group" , so the run pace was a bit of a stretch for me, but I kept up. I knew a 4:30 was out of the picture, but I just had to go w/ it for a while. After a while I gave up the run/walk and just ran at my pace...which kept me with them. They got a head on the run, I caught up and passed them when they walked. Mile 6 ish to 8 was "on the beach". Yeah it was packed sand, but it was beach running. It was during this stretch (not sure exactly when) that I dropped of the 4:30 pace. I was also looking for my "support team". It is really emotional to be looking for folks you know and not finding them in the crowd. I think the beach run was my demise....I could feel my right foot slipping. I could feel the beginning of a blister on the ball of my foot near big toe. Actually when I started my feet were numb from the cold and these shoes may not be totally broken in so I had hot spots. I also wonder if the beach is what flared up my ITB (to be discussed later). So I came off the beach after almost 2 miles of running and HOPED my feet would feel better. I can say my feet hurt MOST if not ALL of the run.
    It is a truly greatly support race. Not only the organizers but you run thru beach towns and ALL the residents come out to support, cheer, have little parties, supply water, oranges, popcycles! So I kept motoring on. The 4:45 group had not caught me yet (yippee) and just before mile 14 I thought "hey, I am feeling pretty good". Maybe I was just trying to pep myself up. I had started doing my run a 1 mile then short walk pattern that works for me. I knew my support team would see me at mile 17--which seemed like a LONG way away! It was at this point that I took a walk break (about mile 14-ish). When I started running again my ITB along my left knee was very, very, very unhappy. When I tried to run it felt like it would buckle and that it would not support me. I walked more and kept trying to run. I kept my pace slow. So between 14 & 17 I was not a happy runner. The 4:45 group passed me and I did not even try to kept up. There was one gal in front of me that we kept playing leap frog. She was having cramps and stretching. I did find a first aid table and sprayed some bio-freeze type stuff on. That may or may not have helped. And did I tell you my feet hurt and I had a whooping blister occuring? Yep, it was now that I was not liking my run at all! Saw my sis and SO at mile 17. I made them walk with me. I needed to talk. I needed a pep talk. I needed to see them!!! Then off I went. By mile 20 I was just determined. And I was now running further than ever before. It was actually motivating me. The gal that I kept playing "leap frog" with started talking. So we chatted and tried to keep going. We chatted with another first timer. We were all struggling a bit, but excited to be doing it. Anyway she was from Iowa, jsut got married and she was on her honeymoom----yes, can you believe it. Eventually she passed me and I did not see her til the end (but we did get pics together). Mile 20 I felt something "stabbing" my middle toe on right foot. I thought the bandage I use to wrap my 2nd toe with (to save the toenail) had come loose and was doing the "stabbing". Nope, when I check it would be that my toenail was loose and doing the "stabbing". Not a pretty site. But off I went to finish. I must say that I continued with attempting my 1 mile run (albet at slower pace) with short walks. Sometimes I only made it 1/2 a mile. Sometimes my walk was almost as fast as my running! I knew I could always walk to finish. I knew I was not going to finish under 5 hours and I did not care. I did know I WOULD finish. I did not care about the time. I just needed/wanted to be done. I was suprised how quickly after mile 25 and I went DOWN the overpass we had to GO UP that I saw the finish line. I really then poured all I had left and ran, like really ran to finish!! 5: 06:10. Not stellar, but I think about right for a first timer that is slow to begin with and not trained as well as they should of been trained. Overall I had "fun" (as fun as one can when running 26.2 miles). I didn't finish and think "I'll never do that again" like I did during my training. I learned a LOT. I feel like it was a tremendous accomplishment! I am glad I did it.
    Post race--we went off to have a big o' bison burger and a beer. Then I slept a little on the car ride home.
    Injuries--Left ITB was really tight and sore for a couple of days. I could not walk down stairs on Monday. Did some ice first night then some easy stretching the next day. Plus had a massage on Tuesday!!!
    Blisters--left foot a few minor, but nothing painful. Right foot--LARGE fluid filled blister on ball of foot base of big toe. Did a blister pack and is already healing nicely. No pain. 2nd toe...UGLY, swollen toenail bed and just waiting for swelling to go down and toe nail to fall off. 3rd (middle toe)...DOUBLE UGLY with big ole blister, raised toenail...another loss. I'll look mighty pretty in my spring shoes and flip flops! But minimal pain. I am wearing shoes and walking the stairs at work.

So 26.2 miles and to look at me you can't tell...except for the marathon necklace around my neck, the occassional smile when I think back on my accomplishment and the occassional limp when my toe hurts!

Hope to be running again soon, but nothing to long or too fast for a while!

K
    katluvr

WooHoo! Congratulations for persevering through the challenges! I'm very happy for you.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Way to go - It will only get easier now!

Yay Kat!! You 26.2er!! Hope those victory blisters & toe nails heal nicely.
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

Yay Kat! Way to persevere. Hope your blisters and toenail heal quick and your recovery goes well. You're a marathoner!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow, very nice! That is some impressive determination you've got there, Kat. I'm so glad you finished and that you can look back on the experience and smile. Good job!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Congratulations!

Awesome!!!

Congratulations!!! and I could never stand that much pain

way to go kat! Hurray for your support team!

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Hey Kat, congratulations! You made it, what a huge accomplishment. Adjusted your goals, stayed on the path, made the most of it, I'm so proud!

I'm so glad you stuck with it. Wear that smile well.

Congrats Kat! Such determination. Congratulations and enjoy the healing process!

An amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!!!! All that training and hardwork, you did it!

Congratulations Kat! May your feet forgive you soon and heal quickly. Maybe a nice foot massage would make them happier? (after the blisters heal and you can stand someone rubbing your toes)
    Beth

Thanks all! Yep, I am a 26.2'er!
    2nd toe is doing well, mostly dead skin, toenails should be off in a day or 2!
    3rd toe is not as happy! I think I need the weekend off my feet and out of shoes.
    Thanks to all the support during the training and the great words posted here!
    Tomorrow I will be passing out water for the Gasparilla 15K, it is going to be chilly!! BRRRRRRRRRRRR

K
    katluvr