Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

I can't tell you how many times people have asked if he is a scottie...even when they are standing there looking at all 100 lbs of him!

mary

(and their heads look the same, especially when there is no reference point)
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Great job!

I am 43, loved to ride bikes as a kid and would ride off and on...very short trips...a few blocks on a 20 year old beach cruiser.....do you know how heavy those things are? OMG, so i got a newer beach cruiser and would tak my son, much easier then i started having trouble with blowouts when anyone rode it...cheap crappy tubes and tires!....the whole bike ending up being junk...never went back to that bike store again...two years later they were out of business, guess i wasnt the only unsatisfied person.

Anyway, i decided that i would like a new bike for my anniversary, i had never ridden a bike with gears, except for a 10 speed from the 70's that we ripped the gears just riding round the block....i was clueless and it didnt seem fun....anyway, i talked to the bike shop that i had trusted for years but didnt live near it any more and got a new 21 speed, HOLY MOLY, had i known what a difference and pleasure that it made riding that bike, i dont think i would be this heavy, 226 and 5'7". I have tried swimming, jogging adn walking...each to a small success but i dont have the knees for jogging or long distance walking and swimming just isnt available in my town without heafty fees to use an indoor pool and long commute...isnt worth it even though it is my fav. Well, I did weigh more when i started, then got sick and was off the bike for 3 months and have gained a little back but I am ready to ride like the wind now! Best of luck to you.

Can anyone suggest a great forum to find a female riding partner? I am in a small town outside of Jacksonville Florida and just havent seen anyone from there and as many bike riders as we have I am sure I am just missing something.

Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzle View Post
    Yes, I stole the name of a defunct blog for my first post. Go me!

I decided that going to community college at 40 is not embarrassing enough. I need to up the ante and get my big 'ol butt on a bike! It seems like it would be a great way to get outdoors and I'd eventually like to be able to take my dog with me so he can run as fast as he needs to and work out his yayas. Plus I reaaally need to start exercising. I'm 5'4" and 250lbs, things gotta change

So I went to a bike store a friend recommended looking for a hybrid-commuter kind of bike. Tried a Jamis commuter and a Giant cypress. Wow, what a good work out! Maybe going the day that I had very little sleep and after 3 hours of math class wasn't a great idea, but I wanted to try and beat the weekend rush (it's supposed to be nice in Seattle this weekend, so you know all the bike people will be active!). I gotta say, I am exhausted just from test riding the two bikes! It went better than expected though I want to go back and try out their Jamis citizen 1.0. I ran out of steam today and couldn't do it.

It gets easier right? The only way to improve is practice and build strength right? haha I am trying to psyche myself up because I have to admit that at one point during the test rides I thought "Maybe I have lost my mind. I really belong on the couch". But it's so lovely to ride a bike on a nice day!!

congratulations on your new bike. It's too bad that you live in

florida and not near houston texas because I would ride with you. When I started biking 5 years ago I was 10 pounds heavier aI do manage to find another woman to ride with occasionally I mostly ride solo and spend a lot of time doing distance and endurance.

Hang in there and keep riding.

marni