Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having a pet and training questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everyone. I haven't visited the forum in a while, but thought you all might be the best people to pose this question.

I'm thinking of getting the most beautiful Shi-Tzu ever (OK, RIP Lucy) she was gawgeous too. But.. I live by myself and work 8 hrs a day and then go riding after I arrive home for about 2 hours. I can get home in time to let her out after 8 and 1/2 hours, but would have to leave almost 30 mins later to go train.
    I'm wondering if this is unfair to a pet OR am I making too much out of this decision? (P.S; I don't have anyone who can let her out before I come home on a consistent basis)

All advice pro and con will be considered.

For further clarification: I haven't started training yet so this will not really be an issue until around April. By then she will be house trained etc.

BTW_ let the countdown to gorgeous spring weather begin!!!

P.S HEY Pedal! Haven't see you lately! Let me know how your booty is
    doing. :-)
    Last edited by denny; 02-19-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Clarification

IMO, 8.5 hrs is really really pushing it for a shih tzu (or any other small breed dog) to hold it. Their bladders are just small. A house broken dog may be able to do it, but training a puppy probably won't go well.

If you are willing to go the puddle pad route (so she can go in a designated area in the house) then you may be able to work it out better. (I'm not a huge fan of this as a long term solution mainly because my only experience with it used as such led to dogs that pee everywhere in the house (BUT, this could be more of a training issue than an insurmountable flaw in the usage, but I do think it leads to more complicated training than just being able to take them out).

Being alone for long periods is not necessarily insurmountable in my mind, but you do need to select the type of dog and individual personality to suit this situation. I'd also STRONGLY encourage having multiple dogs in this situation as they'll keep each other company and busy.

Your biggest hurdle will be training while being gone for such long periods (and exercise, but that's not such a big deal for a shih tzu). You can't really expect training a puppy to go well under such circumstances. Finding an older dog (that doesn't necessarily mean old, mind you) that already has an understanding of basic potty rules and basic manners might be better for you. Finding a bonded pair (that's typically harder for a rescue to place) may be ideal for all involved.

I would guess that there may be a bit of an adjustment period getting her house-trained and all the rest, and you might not be able to stick to your ideal schedule. Your bike will wait patiently for you, but a dog won't.

In addition to what MartianDestiny wrote, if daycare is appropriate for your dog, then that might help with providing a lone pet with opportunities for socialization and exercise. We take our dog to daycare twice a week and it's been great for him. I don't have to spend a ton of time tiring him out on the days that I have him at home, and the people at daycare have done a great job of reinforcing good behavior. Another bonus is that they have a kennel-free overnight service, so if we are traveling we know we can leave him with people we trust, in an environment where he is comfortable.

I will emphasize that there was a bit of a process to find a daycare that was a good fit for our dog. For one thing, you may need to get some vaccines that are over and above what is required by your municipality, depending on where you are. Could mean time out of your schedule and $$ out of your wallet for extra trips to the vet.

We did trial days at two places that didn't work out. At the first one they kept the dogs at a high level of energy to tire them out, and Gordy was pretty depressed for several days after that experience. The second one, the owner wanted to observe him first in a kennel which he did NOT like, so he was distressed and barked for two hours straight (he's not much of a barker ordinarily) and she felt he was not a good fit for her other dogs.

Third time was a charm: they do a great job of managing the pack energy a la Cesar Milan, a couple of treadmills so that the dogs can get some exercise inside during the long winters here. It was a great fit from day one. But it really was a process of learning about our dog and what he needs, and that all of these different places had something different to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post
    I a couple of treadmills so that the dogs can get some exercise inside during the long winters here. It was a great fit from day one. But it really was a process of learning about our dog and what he needs, and that all of these different places had something different to offer.

uhm.. am i understanding you right? Doggy treadmills.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    I own a "Texas Heeler" (cattle dog X border collie). Believe me, if I owned a treadmill she'd be on it (probably even without my assistance!!!)

P.S HEY Pedal! Haven't see you lately! Let me know how your booty is
    doing. :-)
    Hi Denny!

What are you training for? Sounds like fun!!! Come and ride the 24-hours of Booty with me!

Not much to add on the dog. My dogs were house-trained by the time I started seriously riding, and they were big dogs, and didn't seem to have a problem with my 9-hour work days.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

oops! my connection kept timing out, I didn't realize it had posted! sorry.
    Last edited by NbyNW; 02-19-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Yep! In this climate sometimes it's a bit too cold to get the ideal amount of time outside for exercise. Gordy loves the treadmill. He's a rotty/shepherd mix and has tons of energy, I wouldn't be able to keep up with him if he didn't get a little time on the treadmill each week.

I used to live 35 miles out of town and in addition to work, I had to run errands in town before going home. I felt bad for my dog (an adult boxer). In the summer he had a dog door and made a right nuisance of himself (but he's so lovable, no one minded). I moved in with my DBF and his lovely shepard dog, and ... my old guy has a new lease on life! I realize you are talking about a puppy and not a lonely adult dog, but I am completely and forever more sold on the idea of a two (not three) dog house. One of my dearest friends once gave me a good piece of advice: only have as many dogs as hands - so you can pet them all at once.

I couldn't tell from your post if you are talking about a puppy or not, but it doesn't sound like a great idea for a pup. They will need to interact with you a lot more than an adult dog.
    An older dog might adapt to that, I've always had a long commute to work, so am gone for about 11 hours. I have an indoor-outdoor situation for them; I have multiple dogs and they have access to a small yard inside our fenced property. They keep each other company. But they need some quality time from you every day. If you can't dedicate at least an hour every day to the dog, it might not be a good idea. At least a shih tzu at least isn't going to require hours of exercise, but it should get out for a good long walk with you every day, at least once a day. When I first get home I take them all out for a walk. If they get tired out, they are content to just be around me in the evening, lounging around. If I only had time to come home, walk them, then leave again, I probably wouldn't have dogs.
    However, I've got one that is in kidney failure, so she takes extra time for SQ fluids in the evening, and feeding them all can take a while if I have to soak her food and hide all her medications in it.
    If a puppy, or any dog for that matter, gets bored, they find ways to entertain themselves, and this means either becoming destructive or developing other bad habits. I think the idea of having two dogs is a good idea too, but you still have to give them lots of exercise and quality time with you, or you have two of them figuring out ways to entertain themselves with your stuff.
    Even with an adult dog, the puppy pads are a good idea, and you'd need to spend a lot of extra time with the dog at first to gain it's confidence and develop a relationship. If it's an older dog, after that you and the dog should be able to get into a routine.
    How much time each day do you think you'd have to spend with the dog? It sounds like you had a dog before, did that work out ok?
    vickie

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    I It sounds like you had a dog before, did that work out ok?
    vickie
    Vickie- I've had a Shi-Tzu before. I had 10 + hour work days back then which resulted in a very anxious dog when I came home. I tried the poop on the paper method, but you're correct, it caused some confusion at times. I would feel horribly guilty even if she had the run of the house in my absence because of the limited time issue once I got home. We would walk/run the neighborhood for about 20 mins in the morning and evening so she was well excercised. In the end I gave her to a friend under a joint custody arrangement.

The difference between then and now is primarily that I will have an 8 hour day and a better handle on how to house break that breed (they can be pretty notoriously hard to train) but they are the sweetest, most charming breed on the planet. Yes, I am biased. :-0

Now as of this evening, I think I talked myself out of it for the simple reason that I plan to adopt an infant later in the year and most friends are advising to take one thing at a time, baby first then dog after (no not a man ;-) especially if I will be doing it on my own. It might be a good idea as the whole process may become overwhelming at times. So I'll err on the side of caution for now.

Sighhhh.... still miss my first Shi-Tzu though.

Thanks to all for your wonderful advice. Still thinking about the doggy treadmill though. LOL!

I wouldn't do it. You don't have time for a dog. Eventually you will give up the training to be with the dog, or you will ignore the dog more to continue training, and may even give up the dog at some point. It's not fair to the dog, and if you're anything like me, you'll have a constant feeling of being pulled in two directions. Why put yourself through that, much less the dog?

There's no rush to get a dog. Finish your training, and when you're in a place where you can be home more, then consider it.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I agree with Karen---the time might not be right for you to get a dog. If you decide that you want dogs, I highly recommend getting two if you aren't around much. In addition, having a mid-day dog walker is a MUST if you cannot make it home to give your dog a bathroom break at noon.

Most dogs really need human interaction. Getting one is a huge commitment (financial, emotional, and otherwise).
    Last edited by Selkie; 02-20-2010 at 08:57 AM.

How about a cat?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

My son's wife just became pregnant with their third child, and the second is not even one yet. And they have a 14 week old puppy. Talk about piling it on. lol. It's a good thing we do those things when we're young and have stamina.

If there's a baby in your future, then you really don't need a dog. Right now.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard