Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Terry's Wild Goose Chase ride

I've registered for the Wild Goose Chase ride put on by Terry bikes which is raising money for the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/tours

This will be my first ride, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this one before and how they enjoyed it. Also I'm from California and thought I'd stay a couple of days after for sightseeing. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

It's a good ride in a beautiful area. A bunch of women here have done it, and there's lots of info in the Mid-Atlantic sub-forum about it. Searching the forums should turn up a bunch of info too.

(BTW, welcome to TE!)

Thanks, I will check that out.

Sightseeing... What do you want to see? Cities? Nature? History? Beaches? Have you been out to the Washington DC area before?

You're not going to be very far from Washington DC or Baltimore... Washington DC has all the monuments and the museums. The museums are free, you can go on national park bike tours of the monuments on some weekends. Baltimore's also got a nice harbor/downtown area.

The little town near Blackwater is cute, I'm not sure I'd stay around it to specifically sight see for more than a day, I think you can wander through that town within that period... If you like kayaking, there's lots of great kayaking around blackwater... You can rent or join in some of the tours.

If you want to do nature... there's plenty of that at blackwater, but you could also head over to Assateague Island... The cutest seashore experiences are either going to be Assateague/Chincoteague... or maybe some of the Delaware beaches - rehobeth or fenwick island... Ocean city, MD is not cute.

I'm not sure how many of us are actually going this year, but in past years, people from here got together the day before to go kayaking & have dinner together, and then possibly rode together depending on ability levels the next day... But they moved the event from spring to fall this year and increased hte price, so a lot of people haven't quite registered or decided whether they will. October's a busy month with lots of other events.

I've been to Washington before but not to Maryland. We were thinking of spending an extra day in or around Cambridge and another day in Baltimore before we left. So if there are certain things that are good to see or do that time of year, or must see things in those areas, that would be great.

Thanks!!

Consider Annapolis or even Frederick too.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager