Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruby vs Toupe?

Ruby vs Toupe?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all... is anyone using a Toupe instead of a Ruby? Is there much of a difference? My partner just got a 143 Toupe - I don't know if it's a year model thing but it has less of 'tab' on the end, more actual nose, the cutout doesn't look much different than the Ruby, it's lighter, flatter and even looks a tad narrower - as if maybe it flares down slightly sooner.

I'd been wondering if I should try a 155 Ruby as I was still being bitten on the 143 - sitbones 'feel' as if they're being supported but the tissue in front was still getting chafed. Thinking is maybe a 155 Toupe would perhaps fit better than a Ruby.

Btw, sitbones 'supposedly' measured just under 120 (I think) - again, 'supposedly' the 143 'should' fit, but doesn't? or is it possible the saddle I tried was broken in - last person who used it put a lot of miles on it but it seems to be in good shape - but what do I know anymore.. sigh

I'm currently trying a SSM Glamour Aspide Arrowhead - 150mm - don't love the cutout but it was tolerable until this past week - bit me badly on the left so now I hate the damn thing!! Didn't like the flat profile anyway. I love that Specialized saddles dip down a bit in the middle - gives my 'girly bits' somewhere to reside :)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do tend to ride down in the drops a lot, my frame's fairly aggressive (Pinarello FP3) and my hips naturally rotate so that I sort of 'lie' on the saddle - definitely don't sit upright very much. But the tissue to the front of my sitbones (just outside the labia) get murdered. I must be too 'poofy' but can't do much about that. (the things we can admit to here)

thank you all... and a BIG THANK YOU to Kermit, who is forever tolerant of me!!! :)))

namaste,
    vness
    those who hear not the music... think the dancers mad
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~lilith/

I initially tried the Ruby in a 143 because it's a women's saddle and the LBS pushed me in that direction. The chafing and saddle sores about killed me. Supposedly my sitbone measurement put me on a 143. I decided to try a Toupe 130 because either a Ruby 130 wasn't in stock or it's not manufactured in that width - i don't remember. Anyhow, I like the Toupe better because it is a very flat saddle. 130 is as narrow as i can go, but 143 was certainly too wide despite their measurements. I think the measurements are subjective, especially when you spend a lot of time in the drops. I don't get the chafing with the toupe that I was getting with the Ruby. I put a Specialized Phenom on my CX bike. It has a slightly longer nose and is slightly more cushioned, but otherwise very similar. It is my favorite saddle; even better than the Toupe. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by vness View Post
    I'd been wondering if I should try a 155 Ruby as I was still being bitten on the 143 - sitbones 'feel' as if they're being supported but the tissue in front was still getting chafed. Thinking is maybe a 155 Toupe would perhaps fit better than a Ruby.

Btw, sitbones 'supposedly' measured just under 120 (I think) - again, 'supposedly' the 143 'should' fit, but doesn't?
    This was me, exactly (sitbones measured right at 120) The 143 just didn't work for me, but the 155 Ruby is like heaven. HEAVEN! I have never tried a Toupe, so I am no help in that department. Good luck!

Hey girl!

So where's the photos of the new hotness?

Take a look at the new saddle from Specialized, the romin. It is alot like the ruby but with extended cutout made for people who spend more time in the drops and triathlons. The initial word is it rocks. There are a couple of 143's on ebay and it's cheaper than the toupe and ruby.

I have a Toupe 143; after initially loving it I have stopped using it because I found it a little too hard. Now I'm on a Jett.

Anyone want to but a Toupe 143 in white and blue?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Re: Ruby vs Toupe?

Quote Originally Posted by Juiceflight View Post
    I initially tried the Ruby in a 143 because it's a women's saddle and the LBS pushed me in that direction. The chafing and saddle sores about killed me. Supposedly my sitbone measurement put me on a 143. I decided to try a Toupe 130 because either a Ruby 130 wasn't in stock or it's not manufactured in that width - i don't remember. Anyhow, I like the Toupe better because it is a very flat saddle. 130 is as narrow as i can go, but 143 was certainly too wide despite their measurements. I think the measurements are subjective, especially when you spend a lot of time in the drops. I don't get the chafing with the toupe that I was getting with the Ruby. I put a Specialized Phenom on my CX bike. It has a slightly longer nose and is slightly more cushioned, but otherwise very similar. It is my favorite saddle; even better than the Toupe. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbeanvw View Post
    This was me, exactly (sitbones measured right at 120) The 143 just didn't work for me, but the 155 Ruby is like heaven. HEAVEN! I have never tried a Toupe, so I am no help in that department. Good luck!
    Thank you both for sharing your experience. It's interesting to me (and frustrating too LOL) to see the solution at both ends of the size spectrum! Fit is obviously a lot more subjective that just sitbone width. I do think a 143mm just doesn't fit me - have tried too many.

But which way to go? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Take a look at the new saddle from Specialized, the romin. It is alot like the ruby but with extended cutout made for people who spend more time in the drops and triathlons. The initial word is it rocks. There are a couple of 143's on ebay and it's cheaper than the toupe and ruby.
    Thank you Kermit... this saddle does look really interesting. Now if only I knew which width to try!!

She's not "right" yet to post a pic LOL but maybe I'll break down and send you one :) though I still don't know how to upload photos from my computer. One friend says she reminds him of Good n Plenty candy... yum!

Thanks again to all of you for the input. I'll keep you posted :)

namaste,
    vness

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I have a Toupe 143; after initially loving it I have stopped using it because I found it a little too hard. Now I'm on a Jett.

Anyone want to but a Toupe 143 in white and blue?
    The Romin that Kermit mentioned might be perfect for you!

If you order direct from Specialized, they have a 30-day return policy. You might be able to talk your LBS into offering you the same deal, especially since you're really focusing on Specialized saddles.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Juiceflight View Post
    I figure I should ask more questions, if you don't mind :)

Do you know what your sitbone measurement is? Do you tend to ride on them or do you pivot through (like me) and ride more on the front? Though I definitely feel my sitbones on my saddle, there's just more of 'me' making contact than just them. When I measured mine at home, it was about 117 and when I went to my LBS the other day and sat a bunch of times (again) on the butt-o-meter (what a name!) I was getting different readings that put me either on the very end of a 130 or on the 143. That said, I'm still not sure if a 155 is the answer LOL but I figure I'd know pretty quickly if a 130 was too small.

Unfortunately, LBS is carrying last year's Toupe (at the same price as the 2010 model which has been improved - the one my friend just got from Specialized is a beauty) The owner wasn't around for me to ask if he had a 130 laying around that I could just try. The place is not particularly 'female' cyclist friendly. They have very little in women's performance saddles - mostly just carry large, squishy ones... sigh. I'm not really sure how 'friendly' he's going to be towards me as I spent some time a while back and ended up buying nothing. When I asked why he had no Ruby's or even Jett's, he said "they just send me what they have" - he obviously just hadn't asked for any.

Does anyone use the Phenom on a road bike?

Thanks for any info you can offer. I rode about 50 miles yesterday and have 2 'eggs' on either side of me - ouch!

namaste,
    vness

Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple more questions. What was wrong with the 143 for you? No chafing on the 155? Do your hips come through like mine or do you ride more upright? What's your riding style?

thanks for any info you can offer :)

namaste,
    vness

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    hi Kermit... thought I should get more info :)

So I went and researched the Romin... btw, same price on Specialized with ti rails. I don't want to purchase anything I can't return so I can't avail myself of ebay :)

Interesting reviews and remarks from those trying it but I didn't find any women. Do you know any?

There were, as usual, a lot of different reactions to riding it on the hoods... some said it was impossible, some were perfectly fine. It was suggested, however, that as the saddle slopes, one should go one size up than usual. Now if I knew what size I needed LOL ... but I worry that the channel itself will end up digging into me. I have experienced that before with cutouts and this saddle does seem to 'target' male cyclists in reviews. Though I liked the idea of that slightly raised back to add some kick!

I know I need to change something. As I wrote earlier, I've got 2 'lumps' on either side of me from just a 45-50 mile spin yesterday on that SSM Arrowhead (150mm). At this point I'd almost try just about anything in a 130, just to see if it 'might' work... figure it ought to tell me pretty fast if it won't! Guess I need to check my LBS again and see if the owner has something on the floor I could just try. Or break down and just order something from Specialized... but a 130 Ruby or Toupe? I could've been imagining it, but the 143 Toupe 'looked' slightly narrower than my (your :) 143 Ruby. And the new Toupe has more nose (less tab).

I've considered putting the Ruby back on but I know the 143 won't settle the real problem... just make the bike look better LOL

I'm going crazy... saddle hell gets so old fast! And with the weather we've been having here, my fitness just sucks. Getting fat... blech

hoping all is well
    namaste,
    vness

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    If you order direct from Specialized, they have a 30-day return policy. You might be able to talk your LBS into offering you the same deal, especially since you're really focusing on Specialized saddles.
    thanks Oakleaf. As I wrote above, I have been to LBS - need to go back when the owner's around and see if he has anything on the floor. I'd like to know if a 130 is even viable or if I'm going in the wrong direction before actually ordering something.

as far as liking Specialized saddles, they seem to be the most t-shaped. If you can suggest anything else, I'm certainly open to looking into it :)

thanks again
    namaste,
    vness

Quote Originally Posted by vness View Post
    What was wrong with the 143 for you? No chafing on the 155? Do your hips come through like mine or do you ride more upright? What's your riding style?

thanks for any info you can offer

namaste,
    vness
    No problem! On the 143, my butt bones were wider than the target zone. It felt like they were falling off the sides of the saddle. I don't ride upright, but not necessarily in an aggressive position either. My saddle is an inch or two higher than my handlebars. I have no chafing on the 155 (but I haven't experienced it any any saddle I have ever ridden). It pinched my inner back thigh at first, but moving the saddle back a tiny bit eliminated that problem. Happy to help.

No problem! On the 143, my butt bones were wider than the target zone. It felt like they were falling off the sides of the saddle. I don't ride upright, but not necessarily in an aggressive position either. My saddle is an inch or two higher than my handlebars. I have no chafing on the 155 (but I haven't experienced it any any saddle I have ever ridden). It pinched my inner back thigh at first, but moving the saddle back a tiny bit eliminated that problem. Happy to help.
    thank you so much greenbeanvw... it helps a lot to understand :)
    I'm pleased you've found something that works!!

namaste,
    vness