Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

90/10 rule: eating for high performance /fitness

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/d...332/story.html

Article originally on required nutrition and diet for high performance athletes who are training and competing nearly as a full-time job.

For her, nutrition is a way of life. "You can't expect you'll be good to go just eating right on the day of a competition. It's not a one-day fix," she said. She follows a 90/10 rule where 90 per cent of the time, she eats to compete but enjoys some pleasure foods
    Thought the 90/10 % rule was useful ..at least for lower folks like me, to eat for health and general fitness, but not to compete and have some pleasure foods. Of course the problem, could be 1-2 food items that throws one's nutritious diet for that day, out of whack.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

That's my philosophy

Although, I tend to do it the other way: 90% bad, 10% good

Actually, I think its a great strategy. It would be hard to eat for competition all the time, sometimes it may even be near-impossible--with all the traveling they do.

Thanks for sharing the article.

I'm pretty annoyed with the "Eat like an Olympic athlete" campaign that McD is running right now.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't watch enough tv right now to have noticed any at least on the Canadian tv channels.

McD is providing free meals to athletes at the Olympic Village if they want it...which they claim the athletes want some of it.. Apparently they had the same promotional rights at a previous Olympics (Beijing?).
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

It seems there's some 'limited edition' dipping sauce and if you're kid is sad about losing a sport event you should all go and dip your nuggets in the stuff and everyone will be happy.

Or you could go to Disneyland.

I'm not getting much joy out of the NBC coverage. Big doses of capitalism and nationalist jingoism tend to have that effect on me.