Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

To disable ads, please log-in.

My students are handing out their Valentine's cards today. When did it become normal for EVERY Valentine to have candy?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I always used to put a couple of those little candy hearts wiht the sayings on 'em in valentines day cards - and I think everyone else did as well.

If I really liked someone, they got more than a couple of hearts!

If I really disliked someone, I might have only put one heart in or none at all.

I also wonder when it became so female centric. I have always treated it as an opportunity to tell you significant other, no matter what sex, how much you love, value and appreciate them. I send valentine wishes to my sisters, children and always have a card and gift for the SAG guy (husband) and I cook a special meal for both of us. Since we are continually either training or eating sparsely, a festive meal with dessert is always a treat.

marni

I'm so glad valentine cards are not cool in middle school.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I love Valentine's day. Not sure why, except that my dad always made a big deal out of it when I was a kid. Big heart shaped boxes of candy for my mom and I and always some kind of jewelry for my mom. I still have the handkerchief with the little hearts on it that I got when I was 4 (how dated is that?).
    Since we go out all of the time and I don't really require jewelry, this year we bought new x country skis and are going to enjoy the day in western MA with our new skis. Maybe even stay out there, since we both have Monday off.

While I was on bus duty yesterday, I saw all of the elementary teachers and their students (with their valentine boxes) getting on the buses and I sent up a prayer of thanks that I teach High School. Just how do you do it year after year?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Because life is too short not to be in love, and sometimes love comes cleverly disguised as chocolate.

Or Sidi shoes and Speedplay cleats.

Or an iPhone.

Or my bike already set up on the trainer for me when I get home.

But the chocolate hearts are really nice, too.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Because life is too short not to be in love, and sometimes love comes cleverly disguised as chocolate.

Roxy
    Awww! I love that!

My 8 year old son just came home with his Valentine's Loot. Huge 4 inch chocolate heart lollipops, boxes of candy hearts, gift bags full of misc. candy, pencils, note pads and little toys. And just a few simple cards with nothing attached.
    I love holidays and have a bag of silly little things for him. I just couldn't believe the stuff he came home with. Sadly most of it will end up in the trash.

Wow. I realize I haven't "got" Valentine's at all. It's gradually being adopted here, like Halloween, but is strictly a romantic thing between adult couples, with ads for flowers, small gifts, maybe a romantic dinner. I had no idea of the cards+candy for all for kids, or the family extension.

Ok. We have a pact at home to not celebrate Valentines, Mother's day or Father's day (we "celebrate" random days instead), but I'll admit it: I would be thrilled to receive a Valentines Day gift or card
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have a love/hate relationship with Valentines Day.
    I personally love it. I love the opportunity to do something small and nice to express how I feel to others. Last night I made steak, ham wrapped asparagus, and garlic red and purple potatoes. Small, nice presents for my mister and my kids.
    On the other hand, I hate it for others who are single. I empathize with the woman in counseling who cried because she does not have an "other" to share the day with. Her self esteem is blow because of relationships with her father and her past husband. So sad. She is working hard to pull herself out of it but his is another obstacle.
    I have a single friend that has a heightened awareness of his singlehood during this time. He is a fantastic man. It is hard to see him (and others) on what he calls "singles awareness day/ SAD."

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    . I had no idea of the cards+candy for all for kids, or the family extension.
    Neither did I until we lived in the States and my kids were expected to make a card for everyone in their class. I have three kids so that is a lot of cards. After talking with the teachers I got the feeling that they wished they did not have to do the whole Valentines thing but lots of parents seem to expect it. I opted for being the strange Aussie and we gave Valentines day a big miss.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Flybye View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with Valentines Day.
    I personally love it. I love the opportunity to do something small and nice to express how I feel to others. Last night I made steak, ham wrapped asparagus, and garlic red and purple potatoes. Small, nice presents for my mister and my kids.
    On the other hand, I hate it for others who are single. I empathize with the woman in counseling who cried because she does not have an "other" to share the day with. Her self esteem is blow because of relationships with her father and her past husband. So sad. She is working hard to pull herself out of it but his is another obstacle.
    I have a single friend that has a heightened awareness of his singlehood during this time. He is a fantastic man. It is hard to see him (and others) on what he calls "singles awareness day/ SAD."
    You know Flybye, during the first few years of being with dearie, I actually forgot about Valentine's Day. Whereas he would buy me a pot of flowers, etc.

I think it was because I was single for a long time. I met him when I was 31. When I was single I sincerely didn't pay attention to Valentine's Day at all. You also have to remember that Chinese New Year's tends to fall between late January and mid-February, depending on the year. and my birthday falls at end of January so I already had 2 happy distractions to celebrate!

Just tell your single friends to celebrate Chinese New Year's. It really is time to also share love with family and platonic (or other) friends too.

Note: He and I usually celebrate V-day in a low-key way, which means no flourishes, expensive gifts. It's just another thoughtful day to us, like any other day.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

It's just a day. I'm going outside to shovel more snow.