Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: This weather!

This weather!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am really over this weather we are having in Central Florida. It is February and it should be in the 70s right now but instead it is in the upper 40s. That is awful. I know that I shouldn't complain because there are some dear friends that are dealing with several feet of snow but come on. I am riding in the Tour de Cure at Lake Nona in two weeks and it is going to be too cold for me to cycle this weekend. I cannot go out today because of the rain. I can tell you that those 60 miles on the 28th are going to suck. You would normally never hear me say this but I cannot wait for summer!!

Please tell me that I am not alone in this!
    ~ Annie ~

Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs
    My fitness blog

You are not alone, or at least you soon won't be. My parents will be heading to Florida soon to spend several weeks visiting with friends and family. I promise you that they will agree with you 100%.

I hope you get some warmer weather soon.

I don't mind the temperature but I am really tired of the WIND!

Anyway, the wind is just an excuse to go for a run instead of a ride. I'm being super lazy today because of the rain. We got nothing to complain about.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Annie, you CAN ride in weather in the 40's and you CAN ride in the rain.
    I realize that you might not be acclimatized to that sort of weather, but if you just dress warmer, it isn't as much of a problem. Once you get warmed up, the high 40's are fairly comfortable.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Most people in central Florida don't own gear for temperatures below 45. It's not worth the expense for the two or three days we might have in a normal year. I just bring a couple of things down from Ohio.

There's a severe thunderstorm watch, wind is 17 mph gusting to 35 (actually right now, out my window it looks steady at about 30 or higher). My deck furniture is getting blown around. Venturi effects on the bridges get seriously dangerous. Yeah, one could ride in this weather... but not for fun.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

oh thunderstorms and high winds! that's another story I would never ride in a thunderstorm. And high winds! you guys have horrible winds (ducking for cover).
    I left my office today and before I'd gone a mile, I was soaked. My face, hands (wearing gloves) and my shoes filled with water. Not expecting a downpour, i did not have the proper gear. Sloshed all the way home and not a single car splashed me somehow. I am happily dressed in my warm dry pijamas now
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Love that Florida Winter

My husband and several TE members are riding in the 12/24 Hours of Sebring today. It was in the low 40s this morning when they started with a steady 20mph wind in their faces for the first half of the century loop. At least the sun finally came out around 1PM and the wind is down to 15mph or so.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

<< in San Diego...not even going to comment on the weather here, but I sure hope yours clears up soon so you can get on with your training. I couldn't even imagine doing sixty miles without some serious practice runs first. Just making sure of the right amounts of nutrition to take with me would be a major concern, much less whether or not I could actually do the distance.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.