Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is stabbing me in the knee??

To disable ads, please log-in.

If I kneel on my left knee, I get a horrible "hot poker" stabbing pain on the outside of my knee. The first time it happened, I had knelt -- on my left knee -- on my bed, felt something poking me, and tore apart the (already messy) bed to try to find whatever had poked me. It felt like a hot, pointed rock, or something similar that isn't quite sharp enough to easily pierce the skin (but would with enough pressure).

There was nothing there; whatever is wrong is internal. This is reproducible, as I have to my dismay discovered. Obviously, I need to get this checked out and will make an appointment with my doctor, but until then, what is this?!?! Anyone have any ideas?

Ooooo, Google to the rescue! Probably tendonitis. What a weird pain, though, for tendonitis!

Now to figure out a way to get the feral cat out from under my bed without kneeling so I can go to sleep!

Do you feel like something is inside the knee? There are a bunch of things that can cause this pain. If you feel a catch or like there's something in the knee it could be a piece of rough cartilage that's bent or irritated or even loose in the joint. If it feels outside of the knee, it could be tendonitis or an irritated ligament. Definitely go see the doc. There are too many possibilities and the treatments would be different for each of those causes.

ITBS?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I think zoom-zoom's found it! There is soreness to the touch all along my thigh that is compatible with the placement of the iliotibial band. Dang!

Well, it's not as though I'm going anywhere soon, so it's easy to rest it!

And yes, I'll go to the doctor... assuming the snow stops someday, but right now, it looks like endless winter out there.

That exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. It WAS just tendonitis. You'd think the high degree of pain would imply a terrible serious problem but it didn't at all. It's good to have your doc check it, but take heart in knowing it may not at all mean an awful thing. My doc, a major athlete herself, said, "So don't kneel on that place on your knee, then..."
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by owlice View Post
    I think zoom-zoom's found it! There is soreness to the touch all along my thigh that is compatible with the placement of the iliotibial band. Dang!

Well, it's not as though I'm going anywhere soon, so it's easy to rest it!

And yes, I'll go to the doctor... assuming the snow stops someday, but right now, it looks like endless winter out there.
    In the meantime, try icing it. Or just go outside and bury it in snow...

nybiker, bury it?? I'd just have to try walking (or rather, wading) through the snow to ice the knee!!

salsabike, good to know, though I'm sorry that you know this pain through personal experience. What a weird sensation it was!!

The folks I know who have dealt with ITBS absolutely SWEAR by using a foam roller every day...several times/day.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I know that sometimes cyclists can injure the tendons around the knee. I read this - although I can't find the book - in Bicycling Magazines - Greatest tips book **searches frantically** I'm not quoting directly - but I remember the best you can do for it is to Rest, Ice, and Repeat. I hold an art degree though - so - listening to me for medical advice is probably iffy at best.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

See the doctor, but MAKE SURE you get a referral to a physical therapist, assuming it's not a surgical issue.

A foam roller (and a foam ball, and a spiky inflatable ball, and a Stick...) is a good thing to have and use regularly regardless of whether that's your specific problem right now. Odds are that working out trigger points and adhesions will be pretty darn painful all by itself... but it'll prevent worse problems down the road. Roll first, stretch second.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had ITBS/runners knee/jumpers knee many years ago. I also had stabbing pains and my knee would just randomly give out, didn't matter if I was running or walking or just standing around.

If this is indeed your problem, yes to all the above -- foam roller, any IT stretches you can find (you can do this standing up or lying down on your side, like on the edge of a bed or couch), and ice. In my case I also have a tendency for my patella to track improperly (chondramalacia) so I was also told to do exercises to strengthen the inner quads.

I've recently discovered Yamuna body rolling which uses a ball instead of a roller, and I get good results without it being as excruciatingly painful as the foam roller.

Oh, and I just re-read your original post and you said this happened when you were kneeling? You may want to google knee bursitis as well. I don't have personal experience with it, but I remember it coming up in my research when I used to obsess about knee pain.

I had the same kind of pain after I banged my kneecap really hard at work one day. It lasted a long while, but has finally gone away. I didn't do any treatment for it other than try to remember to not kneel on that particular knee.

I think I remember you're a fencer. Am I right? If so, you are already spending your knees at at tremendous rate. Is the pain on your forward knee?

Long story short: get it checked out. In this case, earlier is better than later.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Get it checked out. I blew my knee on my first day back in the dojo Sunday but that was the ACL again. Dang dang dang Spent a couple days barely able to walk. Slowly getting better now.

RICE helps and can't hurt I think:
    rest
    ice
    compression
    elevation .... or is that

rest
    ibuprofin
    compression
    elevation?

Yes to the stretching and foam roller. But get it checked out for sure.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/