Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Enough with the snow already

To disable ads, please log-in.

Forecasts for this weekend are still vague but they're saying a "major snow event" is very likely. I just got an Arlington Alert email saying to be prepared to shelter in place for 3-5 days.

I went to the grocery story tonight because I thought I would beat the pre-storm pre-superbowl madhouse. I was totally wrong. It was mobbed. And Wednesday is usually their slowest night.

I am so not into this. Damned el nino.

Edit: Forecasts are getting more specific. Just got this from a neighbor:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day3_psnow_gt_12.gif

NOAA & NWS are projecting a 70% chance that we'll get 12+".
    Last edited by ny biker; 02-03-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I heard 12" to 20" Friday into Saturday. Hoo BABY!
    DH and a friend were at the fitness center tonight, plotting to head to Whitetail on Saturday.
    If you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

And once again, I need a haircut the same weekend we're getting a blizzard. I only get haircuts every 6-8 weeks, so you'd think I'd find a nice day to do it. I made my appointment for 12:15 on Friday, taking a long lunch and hoping the real snow doesn't start until later in the afternoon.

On the plus side, I just bought all the ingredients for my first attempt at lasagna, so that's one project to keep me busy (and fed!) while I'm stuck at home. Bonus points since the oven will help warm up the house.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    I heard 12" to 20" Friday into Saturday. Hoo BABY!
    DH and a friend were at the fitness center tonight, plotting to head to Whitetail on Saturday.
    If you can't beat 'em...join 'em.
    Let me know where you guys end up and if you want to try a cross country trip. I told my sister I might bail on her husband's whitetail birthday trip. 'cause I'm a shitty sister.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm really getting tired of the snow and winter. Usually I like snow, but Enough Already is right! I don't have XC skis or snowshoes. But I do have nice winter boots--first time in years, and what a great year to get some, finally.

And I haven't been to the grocery store yet. Tomorrow will be a madhouse.

I have studded mountain bike tires, but I have no mountain bike!

I'm loving it... For once I've got 4wd, snowshoes, and cross country skis and SNOW... Not to mention, I only live about 5 miles from Gambrill state park, so there's a lot of forested mountain park for me to explore in the snow.

The last couple years of having snowshoes and cross country skis for absolutely no reason (other than that I saw 'em really cheap in an rei clearance sale) were kind of annoying, but this year is redeeming my obsessive compulsive purchasing habits.

The downhill skis are also getting a bit more of a workout because this is the best mid-atlantic east coast skiing that I've ever had.

I do have a mountain bike, but can't say I've been out on it this winter. I have seen bike tracks in the snow up on Gambrill...

WOOHOO!
    XC skis, a Jeep, and bean soup fixins!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

We'll take it if you don't want it. I'm sick of skiing groomed runs, want more powder and fewer rocks. This El Nino year is messing up the Central Rockies (Vail, Breck, Copper, etc) ski resorts. This area is at 76% normal snowpack. Could eventually affect our water supply for the summer if it doesn't start snowing.

Hopefully, spring will bring the snow!

Wish we could send it to you, Kathi.

I'm with NYBiker, I'm sick of it. You can't get anything done --- normal errands, etc. Can't even walk the dogs because the sidewalks get icy (some people won't shovel, despite the county "rules."). The clean up takes a long time. We JUST got rid of the last of the December storm old fossilized snow boulders in the road.

At this rate, local governments will have to raise taxes and/or cut services because most have gone through their snow clearing budgets. And the kids will be in school until July, making up snow days.

Those of you going skiing, you'd better get a head start. Remember what happened this past weekend on the beltway.

Hopefully, here, spring will bring warm days, crocuses, and lots of fresh green.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    We'll take it if you don't want it. I'm sick of skiing groomed runs, want more powder and fewer rocks. This El Nino year is messing up the Central Rockies (Vail, Breck, Copper, etc) ski resorts. This area is at 76% normal snowpack. Could eventually affect our water supply for the summer if it doesn't start snowing.

Hopefully, spring will bring the snow!
    Dang. That's just where DH and I are headed on Saturday the 13th. Breck, Keystone, A-Basin........
    Mickchick....I got a mtb, but no studded tires. We should talk!
    Last saturday on the beltway was chaos. DH and I were returning from Chantilly and saw some ding-dong in a Maserati, fishtailing, spinning and going NOwhere fast on the hill approaching the American Legion Bridge. Lots of big ol' SUVs with 20" spinner wheels that don't really have what you'd call "winter tires." Better to be stylin' then safe, I suppose.

I'm loving it! I just wish all the snow would stop hitting on weekends so I could get an unexpected day off of work.

Another bad thing about weekend storms: they're having to pay all the road crews overtime to get it cleared off. They've long since blown through the snow removal budget in every county in the state and it's going to get worse.

Sarah

A-Basin has a 29" base, Keystone 30 ish and Breck claims 54". Snow is predicted all the rest of this week but no totals mentioned. Breck and Keystone are ok but without fresh snow we're avoiding many of the off piste areas.

Mostly we're getting onesy, twosy's in snowfall.

We have the same problems with drivers here, crews keep I-70 as clean as possible but drivers in those big SUV's, or sports cars, think they can blow everyone away. Many times they're rentals without 4wd but even with 4wd driving in snow is a different animal.

Our streets in Lakewood don't get plowed, except the street by the school. Kids rarely get snow days and life goes on as usual. We still have snow in our backyard from the 2 feet we got back in Dec. but are begging for moisture now. We don't get the rain like you do in the east and midwest.

Enjoy your snow!

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Dang. That's just where DH and I are headed on Saturday the 13th. Breck, Keystone, A-Basin........
    Mickchick....I got a mtb, but no studded tires. We should talk!
    Last saturday on the beltway was chaos. DH and I were returning from Chantilly and saw some ding-dong in a Maserati, fishtailing, spinning and going NOwhere fast on the hill approaching the American Legion Bridge. Lots of big ol' SUVs with 20" spinner wheels that don't really have what you'd call "winter tires." Better to be stylin' then safe, I suppose.
    Was it a yellow Maserati? If so I know where he lives.

My brother-in-law used to work in an autobody shop. He said that the day after any snowstorm, the shop was always filled with SUVs. 4WD does not help you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Was it a yellow Maserati? If so I know where he lives.

My brother-in-law used to work in an autobody shop. He said that the day after any snowstorm, the shop was always filled with SUVs. 4WD does not help you stop.
    No, it was silver. Or a very dirty white. I think silver.

And big, low profile summer tires don't help at all....4wd or not. Look da bomb, and lots of stick on hot, sticky, dry asphalt. Not so hot on 4 inches of slush.

4wd doesn't allow you to keep driving at 60 mph in slipper conditions either.

I didn't go more than a few miles last Saturday before the roads were clear, and my subaru wasn't doing great at turning.

I kept off the roads mostly though.

Breckenridge typically grooms really well, so there will be great groomer skiing there. I didn't go by keystone in Dec when I was out there, but it's usually icy at the best of times.