Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am mentally preparing myself to shovel out this weekend. But this is what I'm worried about:

My sister's birthday is Feb 10. My father and I have often commented that we usually get snow somewhere between her birthday and Valentine's Day. And every few years we get a blizzard somewhere between her birthday and President's Day.

But this next storm is coming on Feb 6!! So is the traditional blizzard just a bit early, or will we get another one in a week or two?????

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I am mentally preparing myself to shovel out this weekend. But this is what I'm worried about:

My sister's birthday is Feb 10. My father and I have often commented that we usually get snow somewhere between her birthday and Valentine's Day. And every few years we get a blizzard somewhere between her birthday and President's Day.

But this next storm is coming on Feb 6!! So is the traditional blizzard just a bit early, or will we get another one in a week or two?????
    The final indignity: I turn 47 on 6 February. Yes, one of the most anti-snow people in the DC area will have a BLIZZARD (and not the DQ kind) as her birthday present!

Let's hope this is IT.

i think I heard something about a second storm...
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'm gonna be sleeping with my pj's inside out to try to get a 2nd storm.

Just got an email from the milkman---they are starting Friday delivers tonight! Thank goodness because I was afraid we'd miss out on our weekly "moo juice fix."

Just keep your fingers crossed that you don't lose power because it's supposed to be a heavy snow.

I'm feeling for you all. After the 5 feet in 5 days, we got all shoveled out except for the roof. It's been almost 2 weeks now since the last storm, but we've only got about 1/2 the roof shoveled off. 1/2 to go.

More snow to come this weekend too, but I'm hopeful, it doesn't look like it will amount to much.

spoke

Oh Spoke, that's the pits....

Believe it or not, OPM has already announced "liberal leave" policy for Friday. You betcha I won't be going in---hit the pool bright and early for a loooong swim, then home to batten down the hatches before the "white madness" arrives.

I have the benefit of working only 4 miles from home and not having to leave Arlington County all day. My commute includes a couple of big hills but they are always well-tended in winter storms. So I will be at work tomorrow.

However since I won't be able to get my haircut at Tysons on Saturday I scheduled it for lunchtime tomorrow. If the forecast is accurate, the snow will still be light then. They're saying conditions won't get bad until late afternoon-evening.

Depending on how things develop, I will probably not stay at the office for a full day. I can go home early and work from home if necessary. Regardless, I am expecting to work from home on Monday. I suspect the govt will be closed that day. I would be very happy if accumulations were not too great and they are able to get all the roads clear in time for Monday's morning rush, but I will bring work home just in case.

BTW I cannot imagine having 5 feet of snow on the ground -- I've never lived anywhere that got hit that hard.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    We got socked with a foot last weekend, now you DCers are going to get just as much if not more. We're supposed to get 5-6" today, then it turns to rain, then to sleet, then to snow again tomorrow for another 6"...sounds like it will be a real mess.

Last weekend it was light and fluffy and beautiful (and very cold). Right now it's snowing hard, and it's beautiful. I'm not going anywhere, though.

I wish I had bought some Yak Trax, though. They are really helpful in icy conditions (walking).

Just as with the December storm, it seems that every time I look at a severe weather alert, the total accumulation is higher. A foot... 18"... 20-28"... and this morning, 20-30", "WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES," as the alert says. Yee-haw!

My Giant closes at 11 PM, so last night, I left at 10:40 PM to pick up cat food and, the obvious companion product, cat litter. I'd stopped earlier at Trader Joe's; I didn't need much (which was good, because they were out of soooo much!), but did want a few things. Got blood oranges, chocolate croissants, salad stuff... just a few things.

Last weekend, I slipped on the snow in my (very steep) driveway; I unfortunately missed landing on all the heavily padded parts of my pelvis (so bony parts hurt) and haven't been able to ride all week. I just could not stand it anymore, so took my bike to work today and got in a very short, easy ride around the Mall before showing up at my office. My drive home was s-l-o-w, but now I'm home, cozy and warm and with dark chocolate, so bring on the snow! (It gives me an excuse to stay home and put away the Christmas stuff! )

Here are my first pics of the storm, taken around 9:30 pm on Friday night. It started snowing ~10 am, so this is after almost 12 hours. However it didn't really start to stick until 3:00ish.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bowmandj626/SNOMAGEDDON

I will update this album with more photos as the weekend progresses.

p.s. An epic storm needs an epic name. Which do we prefer:

snOMG
    Snowpocalypse
    Snowmageddon

Super Mega Snowfall

Just came in from taking the hounds to pee.
    The wind is really whipping. I sure hope I don't lose power, I'll be one of the last to get it back, densely populated areas get first priority.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I've been going with Snowmageddon myself. I do like watching to see what the different TV stations will call it, and what logo they will give it. I like CBS with "super storm" and there is a football in the corner of the logo.

I loaded up a few pics, hope I link it right. Never used picasaweb before but seemed easy enough.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thekidsc...wmageddon2010#
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW...ACCOMPANIED OCCASIONALLY BY THUNDER OVERNIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS RECEIVING LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS ESPECIALLY ACROSS WESTERN MARYLAND AND THE EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA PANHANDLE.

Thunder snow????

My Mom lost power about 2 hours ago, she was pretty impressed that it only took them about an hour & a half to get power back. Va power sent out 5 trucks.

The BF didn't listen to me & leave work early today - kept telling me that the snow wasn't sticking in Columbia... I was doing the... erm, well, it's sticking in Frederick & your Passat sucks in the snow... So guess what happens when he gets about 1 mile to my house?

He couldn't get his car started again, so I drove over to help him - efforts to try to pry his hood open with a piece of rebar just bent the rebar. He had some webbing in his car, so we just tied it to the hitch of my subaru and first pulled it across the intersection into a parking lot, but then decided that worked well enough that we just went ahead and pulled it all the way to my house. GEICO is supposedly sending out a tow truck to get it tomorrow.

Some couple in a pickup truck stopped to offer to tow it across the street to the parking lot for $20 when we were still attempting to see if we could push it (not enough traction). It was a little bizarre. Not that we wouldn't have offered them money if they'd volunteered to do it. I'm just not used to people stopping and offering to help only if you pay them.

Gonna go out and play with the cross country skis now, I think.

I love thunder snows!!! SO cool!!

My power lines are heavily weighted with snow and the power blipped off for about 30 seconds just a few minutes ago.

I'd fallen asleep on the sofa, woke up about an hour ago, and WOW! to the snow that had fallen while I was sleeping! VERY impressive!! I took several pictures of the patio, then looked out the side door at the car -- can still tell it's a car, but probably not for much longer -- and then opened the front door to look at the street... and woke up one of the feral beasties, who'd been sleeping in a box on my porch. Said feral beastie is now under my bed. The resident beasties are not amused. I'm afraid to go to sleep, lest full-scale feline warfare break out, or the feral beastie need to pee and I sleep through the walking-around-looking-for-a-pee-spot moment.

Catronia, bizarre indeed about the couple in the pickup truck! I'm glad the webbing worked well and you got your BF's car all the way home. Did you really go cross country skiing at midnight??

I was out on my porch for a bit (petting the feral beastie) and it's not nearly so cold as it looks like it should be; checked the temp, and was surprised to find it's a very reasonable 32F.