Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Cyclocross bike Terry Valkerie?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I was just looking up Kerry Litka's blog (small thing considered) for details on her "Ghetto Cross" bike she built up from a mt bike. Here she is talking about riding a Terry prototype of a cyclocross bike to be produced in 2009! I need to look into this - it could be perfect! tokie http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/word...008/10/page/3/

Thanks for the link! What great news for us smaller 'crossers. Iwill definitely want to check it out when it becomes available.

I posted an inquiry on the Terry forum - so hopefully Georgena will give an update. It doesn't seem like a fortuitous time to launch a new product line with the sluggish retail economy - but I hope they do! Tokie

Terry 'cross bike info to be released on 1/7/09!

Georgena Terry answered my post - she says the 'cross bike info will be posted here http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/ tomorrow, Weds Jan 7th 09! I'm pretty interested. My bike mechanic said if I'm only going to race 1 or 2 cross races a year that I should consider just buying a mt bike and not even bother to change out the fork, not enough weight savings to make it worthwhile. But if I want to race more, to get a 'cross bike. He also mentioned that as the 'cross season ends in 2 weeks here, that I should keep my eyes open for someone hoping to upgrade and sell their frame. (except I need a really little frame). So maybe I'll still get an inexpensive hardtail and work on my skills til the next 'cross season, try some more races, and go from there! Tokie

You can definitely do cross on a mountain bike and I think riding on off-road will improve your cross skills. I wouldn't bother trying to get a used cross frame...there aren't any that will fit us!

I had sent an inquiry to Georgena as well and got the same reply. I'm definitely going to be checking them out tomorrow. She said they are building them to order and it would probably take about 6 weeks to get one. Plenty of time to have one by next fall!

so glad Terry is trying out the 26" wheels. Perhaps that design will morph into the road bike area too; i did not buy a Terry because the two different sized wheels really put me off.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

If you tried before and it failed, the 2009 bikes are now on the Terry site.

To those who argued against pink in the pink bike thread, notices that the 2009 Terry bikes are not pastels or flowery and the Valkyrie is black!

Yes, the Valkerie has landed - I was hoping for a lower price - but it looks like a nice bike. I do have an old Terry that I bought when a local store closed - so it was 1/2 off, a great deal - but oh, that little front wheel made the steering way too quick for me. It now has a happy job as my trainer bike. Now I have to think about $ - cross season is a long way off. Maybe I can get my start on a cheapish mt bike while I save up for the Valkerie! Tokie

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    so glad Terry is trying out the 26" wheels. Perhaps that design will morph into the road bike area too; i did not buy a Terry because the two different sized wheels really put me off.
    When I first got my Terry, I was disappointed because I didn't get the smaller front wheel I was tall enough that my size Terry has 700c wheels all 'round.

I like the Valkyrie!

26" wheeled 'cross and road bikes? I have always done them and always will. They are my bread and butter.

Or, wanna 26"-wheeled cross AND road bike?

http://lunacycles.com/PMiller.html

Not tryin to outshine Georgena--she's a goddess, but just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by lunacycles View Post
    26" wheeled 'cross and road bikes? I have always done them and always will. They are my bread and butter.

Or, wanna 26"-wheeled cross AND road bike?

http://lunacycles.com/PMiller.html

Not tryin to outshine Georgena--she's a goddess, but just sayn'
    yum! butterscotch!!!
    lovely bike ms Luna
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    mmmmmm....butterscotch pudding.......
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think the problem is the small front wheel, its the tiny stem some models are spec'd with. Change it to a longer one and the twitchiness will vanish (I have done this on all my terrys). All my terrys have pretty neutral steering with a long enough stem (9-10 cm).

Some of us need the 24" front wheel if we have very long femurs but a short reach. For me, they handle way better than other stock bikes I have tried, although I am sure a custom Luna can be built to deal with these issues too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokie View Post
    Yes, the Valkerie has landed - I was hoping for a lower price - but it looks like a nice bike. I do have an old Terry that I bought when a local store closed - so it was 1/2 off, a great deal - but oh, that little front wheel made the steering way too quick for me. It now has a happy job as my trainer bike. Now I have to think about $ - cross season is a long way off. Maybe I can get my start on a cheapish mt bike while I save up for the Valkerie! Tokie

I have two of Margo's wonderful Lunas -- an Orbit and an Eclipse. The former is a cross bike, although it now is wearing road slicks and doing no off-road riding (because I rarely go off road and love to ride the Orbit).

Both bikes ride like butter.

If you are serious about a cross bike, don't discount treating yourself to a custom bike and check out the Orbit. The fit is incomparable. For what it's worth, I had two Terrys. Nice bikes but the Lunas are custom, steel beauties.

Now, can we talk Margo into working in titanium....

It is nice to see Cross bikes built for women.

Margo- You are evil.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan