Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I'm not sure why they were recommending a hybrid.

Your descriptions of your needs were so clear from your post that a hybrid didn't really leap to mind, and since you already ride and have a beloved road bike and know your back does well in road-bike position. (I loved my hybrid, I'm not knocking hybrids. If you posted to us that you didn't have a bike at all and were just beginning to explore the different kinds of riding available, and didn't want to be in a road-biker position; you bet we'd've been talking about hybrids we know and love.)

Did you like this shop? Are they worth a second try? Did you feel like they gave you some good reasons why a hybrid would meet your needs, or did it seem more like the standard "woman walks into a bike shop" routine? Did they even offer to let you test ride a cyclocross or mountain bike? Did they even show you what cross and mtb they had?

ETA: cyclocross and road bikes have different geometry. Geometry definitely changes the character of a bike. Cross aren't just road bikes with wider tires slapped on. That sounds kind of like a cop-out on the shop's part. Also, they need to let you ride the bikes AND talk to you about them, not just redirect you. They should let you feel the things they are talking about. I'd have more faith if they said, "Here, ride this cyclocross in the gravel of our parking lot. Then come back and ride this mtb. Last ride this hybrid. Then lets talk about the bikes and the rides." (I guess I'm spoiled by my shop. They never tell me something if they can have me experience it instead.)

ETA #2: I loved my hybrid, it was a Kona Dew. (no suspension) Kona makes a Dew Drop now, which is the Dew but with the dropped bars for the road position you like for your back. http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dewdrop It's very similar in character to a cyclocross bike.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 02-02-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Well, I'm not sure why they were recommending a hybrid.

Your descriptions of your needs were so clear from your post that a hybrid didn't really leap to mind, and since you already ride and have a beloved road bike, it's not like you need a do-it-all bike. (I loved my hybrid, I'm not knocking hybrids. If you posted to us that you didn't have a bike at all and were just beginning to explore the different kinds of riding available, and didn't want to be in a road-biker position; you bet we'd've been talking about hybrids we know and love.)

Did you like this shop? Are they worth a second try? Did you feel like they gave you some good reasons why a hybrid would meet your needs, or did it seem more like the standard "woman walks into a bike shop" routine? Did they even offer to let you test ride a cyclocross or mountain bike? Did they even show you what cross and mtb they had?

ETA: cyclocross and road bikes have different geometry. Geometry definitely changes the character of a bike. Cross aren't just road bikes with wider tires slapped on. That sounds kind of like a cop-out on the shop's part. Also, they need to let you ride the bikes AND talk to you about them, not just redirect you. They should let you feel the things they are talking about. I'd have more faith if they said, "Here, ride this cyclocross in the gravel of our parking lot. Then come back and ride this mtb. Last ride this hybrid. Then lets talk about the bikes and the rides." (I guess I'm spoiled by my shop. They never tell me something if they can have me experience it instead.)
    I have no rapport with any LBS. I shopped around locally for my road bike but the store that I felt comfortable at(and liked) didn't sell the bike(brand) I decided on.

I have worked with the owner of this particular LBS and he's nice--this individual was much younger and I feel like I definitely got the "young woman needs a boring bike" routine. Granted, I don't have much knowledge, but I was kind of offended that they weren't willing to educate. I think I might go back once I read up a bit on cyclocross bikes.

BTW, THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for helping me out!

Researching on your own always helps. Then you are armed with knowledge that you can take with you while shopping. When I was shopping for a touring bike, my bike shop tried to re-direct me too. Saying "Steel is sluggish, you'll hate it," and so on. They tried to sell me on a Specialized Ruby Expert, which was very nice - but not what I wanted.

Finally I just told them to order the 520 and quit showing me other bikes. Before I even went in to my LBS - I did my own measurements to make sure I'd fit. (inseam, top-tube, etc.) It is sad but sometimes, bike shops make the mistake of forcing their preference on you - or like my bike shop - work on commision - based on if they sell a model they have "in-stock" (they don't make a commision on one they have to order.) So, arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible. Being prepared is the best advice I have to give.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Run the other way from a shop that tells you that a cyclocross bike is just a road bike with big tires! My Specialized Tricross sport has mountain bike "guts"(gearing) and brakes in addition to slightly wider tires. Sounds like they couldn't be all that knowledgeable...

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    Run the other way from a shop that tells you that a cyclocross bike is just a road bike with big tires! My Specialized Tricross sport has mountain bike "guts"(gearing) and brakes in addition to slightly wider tires. Sounds like they couldn't be all that knowledgeable...
    I don't think this is *quite* all what they were saying--they simply insinuated something along thoes lines in regards to ride quality. What is your opinion on this? How is the ride quality? Harsher than a mountain bike?

Bumpy desents are definitely more comfortable for hands wrists and shoulders on the mountain bike, but the sittin' bits don't feel much different either way.

I stopped at another shop over my lunch and am begining to think that a cyclocross may be my best choice. I saw the Trek XOs and the Specialized Tricross and quite a few Cannondale 29ers. Seems like everyone wants to sell me a mountain bike...

Now... the kicker: I did a quick search on used bikes and I found a nearly new Tricross that *may* be in my size for an incredible deal (ie about 1/3 of original cost)--but about two hours away. I pulled my road bike geometry and the geometry is quite similar. I have called around to local (ie less than two hours) shops to see if anyone has one in stock, and NO ONE does. :-/ I don't know what to do. At the price, I might just snatch it up, ride it a little, and then resell if it really doesn't fit.

I'm going to start a new thread about the fit thing because I'm veering a little off course from the original purpose of this thread.

Thanks!!

How often are you going to be hitting these trails? Are you going to ride them when they're muddy?

Assuming that's pretty packed down dirt and gravel, you can ride it just fine on your road bike. Just use a heavier gear for stability.

If you're going to be riding on softer stuff, mud, or hitting very large gravel or just don't want to chip up your pretty road bike paint, then I'd go with a cross bike. The brakes have more clearance for when your rims get all gunked up, and you can use wider tires with cross wheels. Depending on the kind of brake and frame clearance you have right now with the road bike, you could get a tough set of wheels and put some slightly wider, slightly treaded cross tires on them and use your road bike.

I ride gravel and dirt from time to time on my road bike and am ok with it. I prefer using the one with the wider wheel base, but both do just fine. Going down a twisty mountain descent on large gravel was terrifying, and going up steep hills sucks if you don't get your pedal stroke smooth (and your saddle slips to be pointing nearly straight up! ). I think I'd still have problems with those things on a cross bike.

I don't do that kind of riding enough to warrant getting another bike, but if I did, I'd go with a cross bike. I agree with the others that it or a touring bike are a good choice for you since you like your road bike so much. I'd probably pick cross, because it would tend to be lighter than a touring bike.

I was just going to say that, aicabsolut. I guess it's because my husband used to ride a mountain bike and I started with a hybrid. It's a little embarrassing where we take our expensive/fancy road bikes. Serious riders scrunch their nose at us, but 20% of our riding is on the Missouri Katy Trail. It's pea gravel with occasional bigger and loose gravel. Both my husband and I ride our road bikes on the trail. I currently have 700x23 tires on my bike, but I believe I had 28's before that and they were perfect. My sister has a hybrid and just went down to the 28's and is still comfortable on the gravel. It's the perfect compromise for us. My husband even bought a second set of rims to put "gravel" tires on--but found it wasn't worth the trouble. DH has had a couple blowouts, but he's a big boy on a carbon fiber bike with skinny tires (always carry tubes and a pump--we zip tie a spare tire to the frame on long gravel rides or centuries).

In fact, funny story. We did our first century 2 years ago. We rode as much of the anticipated route in segments as we could beforehand. (St Louis Ride the Rivers). The route includes many local trails and paths. During the ride, when we thought we should have been jumping up on the gravel top levee, everyone turned off onto a road. We were so confused. It took us half the ride the figure out that the "roadies" would rather ride in traffic than a perfectly good trail! I certainly felt like I graduated to a road rider, but still couldn't resist gazing at the perfectly good (no cars) trail just over there
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by TrekTheKaty View Post
    I was just going to say that, aicabsolut. I guess it's because my husband used to ride a mountain bike and I started with a hybrid. It's a little embarrassing where we take our expensive/fancy road bikes. Serious riders scrunch their nose at us, but 20% of our riding is on the Missouri Katy Trail. It's pea gravel with occasional bigger and loose gravel. Both my husband and I ride our road bikes on the trail. I currently have 700x23 tires on my bike, but I believe I had 28's before that and they were perfect. My sister has a hybrid and just went down to the 28's and is still comfortable on the gravel. It's the perfect compromise for us. My husband even bought a second set of rims to put "gravel" tires on--but found it wasn't worth the trouble. DH has had a couple blowouts, but he's a big boy on a carbon fiber bike with skinny tires (always carry tubes and a pump--we zip tie a spare tire to the frame on long gravel rides or centuries).

In fact, funny story. We did our first century 2 years ago. We rode as much of the anticipated route in segments as we could beforehand. (St Louis Ride the Rivers). The route includes many local trails and paths. During the ride, when we thought we should have been jumping up on the gravel top levee, everyone turned off onto a road. We were so confused. It took us half the ride the figure out that the "roadies" would rather ride in traffic than a perfectly good trail! I certainly felt like I graduated to a road rider, but still couldn't resist gazing at the perfectly good (no cars) trail just over there
    I have ridden on gravel with my bike but it does ding the paint and a flat I got dinged my wheel quite badly. I think some of the appeal is also getting a "cheaper" bike that I won't be afraid to ride around town. I live in a college town and there is no way I'd chain up my road bike. I have ridden it to my office(and we even have our own "chaining area" and brought it inside but my officemates probably don't appreciate it.

I'm still browsing for a used bike. I have some leads... we'll see what I can find in the coming months.

Thankkks!!

I'm wondering if the LBS you went to just doesn't have any cross bikes and so is trying to sell you what they have rather than what you want?

I doubt I could get a cross bike within 50 miles of where I live, but they'd all be happy to sell me a hybrid instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
    I'm wondering if the LBS you went to just doesn't have any cross bikes and so is trying to sell you what they have rather than what you want?

I doubt I could get a cross bike within 50 miles of where I live, but they'd all be happy to sell me a hybrid instead.
    No. They actually *all* sell cross bikes. Also, instock. Oh well.

Welllll... I got a bike!

I'm not sure if I'll keep it but I like it enough to give it a shot. It's a used Van Dessel G&T. I'll post more when I receive the shipment.