Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

That photo of the fog coming off the water is incredible.

Kinda like you, V. I'm so impressed with your perseverence!!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Wow, V...what a story! I'm very impressed with your determination (as usual!). Great job.

And gorgeous photos! Can you ship Thom up here in September to take photos of me at my Oly?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

He took those with our tiny point and shoot. He volunteered at T1 so we could park at the start, very limited parking down there and he didn't want to fuss with his good camera and lenses. It always amazes me what great shots he gets. Just remember we only keep the good ones though. He took oodles more shots that just didn't make the cut.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    He took those with our tiny point and shoot. He volunteered at T1 so we could park at the start, very limited parking down there and he didn't want to fuss with his good camera and lenses. It always amazes me what great shots he gets. Just remember we only keep the good ones though. He took oodles more shots that just didn't make the cut.

Veronica

Evidence that taking good photos is only partially about having good equipment. It's also having the eye. Thom clearly has it.

I'll have to make sure that my husband knows how to use the rapid fire setting on our cameras and just go nuts. Maybe we'll get lucky!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Congrats, that sounds really hard. Good job sticking it out.

V, awesome, truly amazing. You are a tough cookie!
    K
    katluvr

My swim pictures crack me up. To me, it's obvious I'm struggling with my wetsuit.

http://www.photocrazy.com/perl/view....ts=0303&bibno=

Start with the lower right photo and go on to the next page. Maybe I was dancing?

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Mental Crisis - Brain Dump

My overuse injury from 2007 has returned. I'd like to blame it on my body just being genetically wrong - hammer toes and bunions, hugely overpronated...

But really, it's my lack of training. It was the same thing in 2007. Sure I can do a double century when my longest ride in the last 3 months was fifty miles...

I do mental toughness during the event very well. In the months leading up to it... not so much. Being incredibly introspective, too much so sometimes, I wonder, "What's the deal?"

I know I can blame some of it on not wanting to train in the wind, rain and cold. That stuff I can make myself suck up and just do. I've got the clothes and really it's not so bad once you're out doing it.

But how many days have I come home just mentally and emotionally drained from work? Why do I let the kids who just want to be lumps get to me so much? How many days did I just go home and sleep because I was worn out from the frustration. Even now as I look around my room at the kids who should be silently reading and aren't, I wonder why do I care so much. Why do I get so emotionally invested that I lose sight of what I want to do, what my personal priorities are?

I wonder how the other teachers who training for even bigger races stay focused?

The mental toughness I need to cultivate is to not get so involved, to not carry that frustration around with me all day, to not let it sap all the life out of me.

Okay, back to work.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Hey V,
    I have been teaching HS for 22 years, and I used to be in the same exact boat. Then about 6 years ago, I got very ill and required emergency surgery about 1 month prior to the AP Bio exam. I was completely freaked out and rushed to try and get back to school. In the end, the kids that were destined to do well did well, and the slackers...well they did not.

I learned from this experience, that my students need to be actively engaged in their education too. I still give them 110% while I am in the building, from
    6:30 am to 3pm, but I carry less of their "stuff" home with me. That is not to say that I do not have days where I am in tears after a parent phone call, or frustrated beyond belief. I have just gotten better at compartmentalizing.

Now I leave and go train at the end of the day and vent it out that way.

I am not sure how long you have been teaching, but it may get better. The weird thing is, as I let go, I think I am actually more compassionate and caring than I was before. Old age I guess.

Thanks RnR! I've been teaching 19 years.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Just speaking here as a mom first and as your friend second: thank you for caring enough to internalize your worries and concerns about your class BUT you can't take care of your class if you don't first and foremost take care of yourself and listen to your needs and your limits. So worry about you first and them second.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Thanks RnR! I've been teaching 19 years.

Veronica
    I can tell from your posts that you teach younger students, I am sure that makes it harder to separate yourself from them. They are lucky to have you, but you do need to save some time to refill your cup.

Just like on an airplane, put your own mask on first and THEN help those around you.

I've been taking it pretty easy since May 23, trying to let my muscles and ligaments around my right knee heal up again.

We had planned on doing a hard 72 mile ride this past Sunday - the Mendocino Monster. The ride started with a 2,000 foot climb with a four mile section of ten percent. My right leg just couldn't handle it. We got to the top of the first climb, looked at the rest of the route profile and turned around and went back down. I'm glad we did because even riding the flat section back to the starting point hurt.

We did have a lovely weekend in Ukiah, however, with dinner at a nice restaurant. And it is beautiful country up there. We're going to put it on our calendar again for next year.

Yesterday's training session with Shawna was pretty tough. Upper body always hurts so much. The really killer set was the first one. First I did chest press, then shoulder press then. That wasn't so bad. It was the push ups. I only had to do three - but in between each one I had to hold myself off the floor, about an inch, for twenty seconds and then press up. It's amazing how long twenty seconds is! And that press up - OH BOY!!!!

I've been busy planning out our trip the the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - menu planning mostly. In our household, camping does not mean roughing it. We're going to have Bananas Foster French Toast, Rum Baked Peaches, Maple Caramel Baked Apples, Bourbon Glazed Chicken...

We're taking a shower, a PET toilet and a frig. We even bought a new tent - one you can stand up in it. Definitely not roughing it.

I'm hoping the time I've taken off has been enough so that I can ride and run the Rainbow Rim Trail. As long as there are no ten percent grades I think I'll be okay. I'm taking my yoga mat too.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

I've been busy planning out our trip the the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - menu planning mostly. In our household, camping does not mean roughing it. We're going to have Bananas Foster French Toast, Rum Baked Peaches, Maple Caramel Baked Apples, Bourbon Glazed Chicken...

Veronica
    Hey V - the cabins weren't available at the North Rim? Granted it's been many many moons since I've stayed there. But it was nice to come back to real beds, and indoor plumbing after a day of hiking around. Your menu sounds really good, dutch oven cooking?

Enjoy your trip!
    Beth

We're camping outside the park in the National Forest. We're hoping to go days without seeing anyone.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com