Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I should have added that's 2.5 miles more than I have run so far this year and amazingly, I am not sore or tight at all today. Yet...

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I CAN do that!

Veronica

Yes, you CAN!! Good work, Veronica.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Veronica, I just want you to know that I love reading your blog and following your progress--you're really an inspiration to me!

It surprises me all the time the things I can make myself do when I just don't think of them as optional.

Sarah

We rode 42 miles of the race course yesterday.

The two transitions are at different locations so we drove from T1 to T2. It's pretty hilly with a section of steep switchbacks. The bike course goes right by the T2 spot so we parked there - a nice park with bathrooms and biked most of the rest of the course. There is a three mile out and bike section that we didn't do.

It's a very hilly, technical course. In 42 miles I showed 4800 feet of climbing. The 12 percent grade that Greg Lomond supposedly walked is NOT the steepest climb. There was one hill where I was doing 2.1 mph. I wasn't having a great ride - my right thigh was pretty tight for most of the ride and I wasn't eating properly. I haven't put a Bento box on the Cervelo yet - I'm not sure I can...so that's something I need to work out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be DFL in this race. I'm okay with that. Based on our moving average yesterday, I'm expecting the bike to take between 3:45 and 4:15. The swim will take no more than 40 minutes. The run up to the transition area is pretty gnarly though. We looked at a little bit of the run course yesterday. We're going to do more recon in a couple of weeks. It's 3 loops of 4.4 miles each. I'm figuring an hour a loop. I am such an awful runner. Oh well...

So, if I can finish sub 8 hours - that will be awesome.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

v: I hadn't been on TE in months and just found this post. I smiled when I saw the title... "she's doing it again!". I love reading your posts for motivation. You are doing an amazing job working through some tough-sounding pain. Hang in there and keep up the positive attitude! I KNOW you will do just great and I can't wait to hear about it! Good Luck!
    Jes
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Freaking Out!!!!

25 days until the World's Hardest Half!

I was lying awake last night thinking, "There's just no way I can do this! What was I thinking...Who am I kidding? I can't possibly do this race. There's a time cut off off. I only get 8.5 hours." Gotta love those thoughts when you need to go to sleep so you can get up at 4 AM to go train.

I finally convinced myself that each separate part was really no big deal. Here was my thinking: The swim is the swim. I can cruise through the swim, no need to get worked up about it. I can do the swim in less than 40 minutes. But what if it is cold...

The bike is hard. There's no way around that. 6,000 feet of climbing in 56 miles is hard. But I have ridden harder rides. I can do that. Given my times on my run throughs on the course, 3:45 - 4:15 is a realistic time. Really it is.

Naturally it is the run that I am most worried about. I have projected three hours. I know I am not going to be able to run the whole thing. That seems like such a long time... That's when I finally shut up my brain and fell asleep.

Anyway... I decided to go look at my results from last year's Barb's Race. Hey my run time was 2:50 and I know I walked about half of it. Wow!!! I CAN beat the cutoff. It won't be pretty...

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Monday I did a brick in the one piece tri suit Thom got me for Christmas. It was very comfortable for both biking and running in, with good support.

I like the one piece suit becuase two pieces always rides up and I always get a burn on my back between the two. It doesn't matter how much sunscreen I use. I think maybe it gets wiped away by my wet suit or something. So I think I'm going to wear the one piece for Auburn in 3 weeks. It is a bit of hassle when you need the restroom. Two zippers, one for the bra, one for the suit. But it's not like I'm racing for a win and every second counts. I think no sunburn outweighs the hassle factor.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Took the Cervelo out today for some hill work. We put a Bento box on it and I actually carried food in it today. I didn't eat any of it until I got home since it was only an 85 minute ride. But I wanted to be sure food would actually stay in it. I don't know why, but my knees hit it when I stand. I don't have that problem on my Legolas or Rambouillet. I'm just going to suck it up and deal with it.

I thought I would check out how riding without gloves felt too - anything to save a little time in transition. The first time I blew a snot rocket, I remembered why I like to wear gloves. I think I will probably take the time to put them on as I will blow my nose a lot in 56 miles! And yes, I'm always careful, even in a race to make sure it's clear behind me.

My niece's wedding was this past weekend in Texas. I ran Saturday morning while the rest of my family was getting up - 5 hilly miles, with a heck of a head wind on the way back. It was a good run though.

Veronica

Oh... and I'm still freaking out.
    Last edited by Veronica; 05-04-2010 at 05:48 PM.

TandemHearts.com

I think for a half, I'd wear gloves. Anything shorter it's not worth it. The comfort and safety factor with the gloves is nice. The snot rocket factor is a bonus. It's really only a couple of extra seconds in transition for the gloves compared to everything else.

You'll make it. With time to spare.

How DID the Cervelo feel on the hills?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

The Cervelo is SO fast! It climbs well and it holds it speed. It's like the bike just wants to go fast. I was worried I would not have the leg strength for a compact double, but it's been all right, even on some 18% grades. And it has not bothered my knees. My smallest gear on it is a 34 - 25 which is substantially taller than the 33 - 34 on my Legolas. But I think two years of strength training has really paid off.

The ride I did today is one I do often. It has a downhill section into a tight right hand corner that on either of my Rivs I would not brake on. But the Cervelo accelerates so quickly on the downhills, that I really have to watch my speed.

One I thing I do really notice is how smooth it feels on chip seal. One end of this road has got just the nastiest chip seal and on my Rivs I could really feel it. On the Cervelo when the pavement changes back to the good stuff, I barely notice it.

It's got Sram Force for shifting. Since I have bar end shifters on my other two bikes I really didn't care what it had, as long as it worked. It didn't take too long to get use to it. But I still find myself reaching for those bar ends.

I've got 149 miles on the Cervelo now. Most of them hilly or downright mountainous. I am really happy with it. When I first got it, I thought I could feel cross winds more - like the wind was tossing me around a bit. But the more miles I get on it, the less I'm noticing that.

Thom is still earning "points" for surprising me with it. Of course "points" aren't redeemable for anything and have no cash value.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Thom is still earning "points" for surprising me with it. Of course "points" aren't redeemable for anything and have no cash value.

Veronica
    Aww, bake the poor guy some cookies.

The Cervelo is SO fast! It climbs well and it holds it speed. It's like the bike just wants to go fast. I was worried I would not have the leg strength for a compact double, but it's been all right, even on some 18% grades. And it has not bothered my knees. My smallest gear on it is a 34 - 25 which is substantially taller than the 33 - 34 on my Legolas. But I think two years of strength training has really paid off.

The ride I did today is one I do often. It has a downhill section into a tight right hand corner that on either of my Rivs I would not brake on. But the Cervelo accelerates so quickly on the downhills, that I really have to watch my speed.

One I thing I do really notice is how smooth it feels on chip seal. One end of this road has got just the nastiest chip seal and on my Rivs I could really feel it. On the Cervelo when the pavement changes back to the good stuff, I barely notice it.

It's got Sram Force for shifting. Since I have bar end shifters on my other two bikes I really didn't care what it had, as long as it worked. It didn't take too long to get use to it. But I still find myself reaching for those bar ends.

I've got 149 miles on the Cervelo now. Most of them hilly or downright mountainous. I am really happy with it. When I first got it, I thought I could feel cross winds more - like the wind was tossing me around a bit. But the more miles I get on it, the less I'm noticing that.

Veronica
    Oh, EXCELLENT!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Aww, bake the poor guy some cookies.
    Funny! I make the cookies just for hm now. Mostly... I'll eat some every now and then... especially the day I make them.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Last session with my trainer today before my race on Sunday. It's the first time she has had me do unassisted dips.

They are hard but doable.

I'm a little worried about the weather on Sunday. There's a chance of rain and it's going to be colder than I really like.

I've got Open House tomorrow night, so I'm a bit stressed this week.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com