Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Indigoiis, I'm assuming that you are using the quick release that is provided with your trainer?

Some of the aftermarket quick releases don't fit into the trainer very well, and that could definitely cause movement.

Here in Maine, I live on mine for several months out of the year. I wouldn't say that my average speed is all that much slower, perhaps a bit...

Update...I think I figured out the REAL reason my pace indoors is so god-awful. Apparently there is a way to completely shut the GPS off on my Garmin Forerunner. I didn't find this out until yesterday. Up until now I have been plagued by a Garmin that randomly will connect with satellites, then my "speed" drops to 2-5mph for a few seconds, several times each minute. This was murder on my pace. So what should have been 14-16mph was showing as 12-13, most of the time.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

zoom-zoom, glad you figured it out.
    One thing that can sometimes affect the resistance on a trainer is the calibration of the brake. I use a Tacx Flow and it's recommended that you regularly calibrate the brake, to make sure the resistance is realistic.
    Obviously this depends on the make/model of the trainer you're using.
    Running on deflated tyres can also slow you down (as well as give you punctures!).
    I tend to calibrate it whenever I have to unplug it, but it's often surprising how it can wander off course in between times.

On another note, I've been working on my cadence the last couple of months, and have now managed to increase it from the low 80s to the mid-high 90s. This has made a big difference in both my power output and my speed - so much so, that I'm shocked when I get to ride outdoors, just how much faster I seem! I now don't worry at all about my pace on the trainer, and aim to go for a higher cadence, as this is translating to a higher speed outdoors. No-one can see how slow I'm going on the trainer!
    Life is Good!